Pivot Les vs. Trek Superfly- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pivot Les vs. Trek Superfly

I admittedly am in no way an expert when it comes to frame geometry but would it be relatively safe to say that the Trek Superfly's geo numbers make it essentially close to being an aluminum version of the Pivot Les? CS's are both 17.1" and HT angles are within a couple of tenths of one another....I've been lusting over the Pivot here lately and am trying to talk myself out of dropping $2k on a frame.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Do you have a budget? The superfly with a nice carbon wheelset, carbon fork, etc.. might be better than the les with cheaper wheels.

mtbr member
    I have all nice/light stuff to build up a frame. Right now I'm on a Crave SL that is probably in the 18.5 pound range. I'm not "needing" a new bike per say. Just have the itch to do something completely irresponsible with my money. Admittedly, I'm being sucked in by the reviews and marketing hype behind the Pivot. Haha

mtbr member
    I just don't wanna drop $2k on a Les frame then take someone's Superfly for a ride and feel like a complete sucker because it handles near identical or something. Lol

mtbr member
    Would imagine handling would be pretty similar based on the numbers, but you also have to factor in the frame material offering a different ride experience to each. Pivot sure is a nice bike though. I don't think you would regret the purchase even if you did throw a leg over a Superfly afterwards.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Earlier this year I went with a no expense spared carbon rigid ss build after having owned steel and aluminum rigid ss bikes. It's nice to finally be content. I'll read MTBR and start feeling like I need upgrades, but that all changes when I look at the bike and can't see any place for improvement This wouldn't be possible with aluminum. Can't say the money bought me any speed, but I have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    It's nice to finally be content. I'll read MTBR and start feeling like I need upgrades, but that all changes when I look at the bike and can't see any place for improvement This wouldn't be possible with aluminum.
    So you could never be content with an aluminium framed bike? It's not as if carbon fibre is some sort of magical substance. I can guarantee that if I had a carbon frame it wouldn't improve my riding or increase my enjoyment one iota.

Anyway, steel is where it's at......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    So you could never be content with an aluminium framed bike? It's not as if carbon fibre is some sort of magical substance. I can guarantee that if I had a carbon frame it wouldn't improve my riding or increase my enjoyment one iota.

Anyway, steel is where it's at......
    I had an aluminum rigid ss and loved the bike, but always wondered if steel would ride better. I replaced the aluminum with steel rigid ss and loved the bike, but always wondered if carbon would ride better. I built a carbon rigid ss and have no desire to try anything else now (still own the steel bike though).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I built a carbon rigid ss and have no desire to try anything else now (still own the steel bike though).
    You missed Titanium...frame material of the gods.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    You missed Titanium...frame material of the gods.
    This

I have a Black Sheep Ti SS 29er. Love it!!

I also have a Pivot Les for a back up geared bike. A couple things about the Pivot I don'e like - the bottom bracket is a little too low leading to pedal strikes. The second is that the front end tends to wander on low speed technical climbs.

For fast flowy single track, the Les eats it up. I do enjoy the ride the carbon fiber gives, but it will never be as lively or snappy as my Black Sheep.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    @azjonboy - Are you running 100mm up front?

Just to note, I took the plunge today and ordered a frame. The lowish BB was actually a big draw for myself. Gives more of that "in the bike" feel imo....Have to say that I was a little taken aback by the price of the SS sliders! They either quoted me $225 or $250! That's insane for what it comprises of. Then to find out that the new swinger kits only come in the 142x12 flavor meant that I had to spend another $75 dollars converting my hubs. This bike had better be kickass!

mtbr member
    Yes, running 100mm up front. The low BB does corner very well and in some parts of the country is a non issue. However, in AZ there are lots of rocks and steps. Not good with low BB's.

I too was appalled at how much the new SS Swinger dropouts are. At least they are now CNC'd and not cast.

The new SS dropout is 142? It used to be 135. I'll have to ask a friend that works there.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Yes, 142x12. That's coming directly from a phone conversation with a Pivot rep.

mtbr member
    You'll like the way the frame rides. Very solid and centered. Very easy to manual as well.
    Post a pic when you build it
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You could step back in time and pick up a carbon Superfly SS (with the sliders). It has great geometry, the drawbacks are (if you count these as drawbacks) 1 1/8" head tube, threaded BB and 135 QR rear end. The plus is that you could probably pick up a frame for $800 or so.

mtbr member
    The older carbon SS Superfly had issues with the slider hardware slipping, on multiple model years. Not a good design.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    For the price of the Les frame. I'd buy a ti frame from Tronix Image Landing - Home

I am having them build mine. A buddy had them build his 1st SS bike. He loves it.
    Too Many .

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    This

I have a Black Sheep Ti SS 29er. Love it!!

I also have a Pivot Les for a back up geared bike. A couple things about the Pivot I don'e like - the bottom bracket is a little too low leading to pedal strikes. The second is that the front end tends to wander on low speed technical climbs.

For fast flowy single track, the Les eats it up. I do enjoy the ride the carbon fiber gives, but it will never be as lively or snappy as my Black Sheep.
    Was just about to sell my Quiring Ti with a Blacksheep fork and get a Les. I hate low bb. My 12 Highball carbon has a low BB, and my 13 BMC TE02 has a low BB. My karate monkey and El mariachi never a pedal strike. Now you got me having second thoughts. The word low BB I run! Although there's silly low under 12 type things and then just low 12s vs high 12s. I also calculate that a XL Les with SS swingers is 4.5 pounds. That's steel territory.

mtbr member
    The new Trek is perfectly fine. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Are you going rigid or sus fork? Note the trek gets those angles with an 80mm sus corrected fork w/51mm offset. Putting an 80mm fork on the LES will steepen your angles and the ~45mm offset you're likely to get should work ok-ish. 100mm rigid forks, I dunno. Weight and materials aside, you'll never get your trail right. So, no. It's not the same.

Treks a cool bike. Handles beautifully. Hope you aren't looking for a comfy ride tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    Are you going rigid or sus fork? Note the trek gets those angles with an 80mm sus corrected fork w/51mm offset. Putting an 80mm fork on the LES will steepen your angles and the ~45mm offset you're likely to get should work ok-ish. 100mm rigid forks, I dunno. Weight and materials aside, you'll never get your trail right. So, no. It's not the same.

Treks a cool bike. Handles beautifully. Hope you aren't looking for a comfy ride tho.

Where did go find the geo was based off a 80mm fork? All other SS bikes from trek before they went ridged was based off 100mm unless you buy a small frame than 80mm

mtbr member
    I ended up going for the Les. Now just waiting on my XTR brakes and 142x12 Swinger kit.