Pivot LES vs Santa Cruz Highball for east coast singletrack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pivot LES vs Santa Cruz Highball for east coast singletrack

On the fence here. Love the Pivot but worried the slacker head tube angle 69.5deg will work against me in the tight rooty log strewn trails I prefer. The SC is nice too but a bit heavier and aluminum so a lot less expensive. It has a head tube angle of 70 deg. Think this is enough of a difference to worry about? Both have nice short chainstays. The wheelbase a bit longer on the pivot. Thoughts? Anyone ride both these and have an opinion? I can't test ride either easily. Any other frames to consider?

Formerly of Kent
    I'd get the Pivot. I ride a Chinese carbon HT with dimensions like that of the Scott Scale 29er, including 69.5 degree HTA, and love it.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ride with a bit of a slacker HTA- love it!
    Have you looked at the Ibis Tranny Unchained?
    Tranny 29 | Bikes

If I were in the market for a new singlespeed, that would be on my short list.

But, then so would this:
    Stache 9 29+ - Trek Bicycle
    Which makes me weird.

and this:
    ONE 9 RDO
    because it's the most awesome race bike out there.

SS Pusher Man
    I loved my orginal Highball Al as a SS. Put about 9k miles on it.

Developed a crack in the chainstay.....SC was great and warrantied it without question with the brand new model.

Here is lies the problem.....

They did change the geometry of the frame....longer TT, steeper ST, slacker HTS, SHORTER CS.

However they did not change the dropouts to go along with the new frame(since they are shared with a couple of other frames).

So what happens is either the tire is too close to the chainstay bridge, or there is not enough swing left in the dropouts to tension the chain. I tried 3 different gear combinations, in addition to a 1/2 link, to get it to work, but once the chain stretched just a little, the dropout was maxed out. This was with a 2.2 tire(which is what they spec on the bike). I have since put a 2.1 tire on it and there is much more clearance and I have more swing in the DO for chain tension...but the tire is not ideal for my riding. It was an oversight, and they are now aware of it. Hopefully a fix comes sooner rather than later. This is not a problem with the normal geared dropouts.

I thought about the One 9 RDO....but $2300 is alot from a company that looks like it is still trying to master carbon frames....look through the Niner Forum to see how many carbon frames have cracked.

You can however do an Aluminum Air 9 and put the Biocentric EBB in and run that SS. This may be the route I am gonna take until SC sorts out the HB issue.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    From Santa Cruz when I reached out to them about this:

"We are still waiting for the new single speed dropouts for the 2015 Highball to come in.
    This will give you the correct/full tire clearance to run up to 2.3 with no problems.
    We are still working on a delivery date for these, but current estimate is about 4 weeks.

Current models are shipping with the new geared dropouts with full clearance as shipped. "

So it looks like I've got about a 4 week wait if I go this route.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by batterhead View Post
    From Santa Cruz when I reached out to them about this:

"We are still waiting for the new single speed dropouts for the 2015 Highball to come in.
    This will give you the correct/full tire clearance to run up to 2.3 with no problems.
    We are still working on a delivery date for these, but current estimate is about 4 weeks.

Current models are shipping with the new geared dropouts with full clearance as shipped. "

So it looks like I've got about a 4 week wait if I go this route.

That is good to know.....I think I can tolerate the itty bitty tiny tire for a couple more weeks.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    There are still aluminum One9s available for fairly cheap. I got mine for $499 shipped in Dec and you could probably get it cheaper today.

71 deg HTA with a 100mm fork (for the small).

I love mine!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Angleset... no idea if it will work with that frame, but I would surprised if Cane Creek didn't follow the current trends.

mtbr member
    I really liked my alum HB SS, rode it rigid for a couple thousand miles, raced the Stewart Super Six Pack (65 miles in just under 7 hrs), etc, etc.

Nice frame, I liked the geo, awesome chain tensioning system. Super good value, too.

SPP
    Rigid.