Pivot LES vs Ibis Tranny 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Pivot LES vs Ibis Tranny 29er

Hello,

I am curious to see what people think on these 2 as a single speed project. I am looking for a fast lightweight bike that I can also ride long rides on trail of all sorts.

Thank you

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Removed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Removed.
    What does that mean?

Downcountry AF
    based on your minimal criteria, either one will do the trick. so i'll tell you what I'd do.

for me, I'd go Pivot, but for mostly superficial reasons. It's a better fit for me (longer TT in my size, XL), the Ibis appears to have a cramped cockpit based on the numbers alone (again in XL). The Pivot is a little slacker, takes a bigger fork, and isn't fugly. sorry, the Ibis frame just has ugly triangles, I find it unappealing visually. It has sharp, angular lines, in a bad way. (see? superficial). I don't care for boost so I'd rather the 142mm rear on the Ibis, just for compatibility of my current wheelsets.

I don't care about breaking down the frame for traveling, or about belt drive. so there's two features I'd pay for and not need/use. which brings me to price, if i'm looking at it correctly, the Pivot is less for the same build kit.

so there's my $.02. if you want better answers and not the inner ramblings of a steel frame fanatic, you should give more details about what you value in a frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    What does that mean?
    I wrote something, but then removed it when I realized I was wrong about something in my initial response.

mtbr member
    I am looking to upgrade my SS and looked at both. If it was me I would go Pivot. Both are light the pivot is bit more slack at 69.5 vs 71 (albeit not much). Both have short chain stays and seem like 100 is ideal but could handle 120. Seems like the dropouts on Pivot are could be a bit more easy to adjust. Both have great reviews and I guess if you travel and need to take the bike apart that would swing it to the IBIS. I think the Pivot can handle slightly bigger tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    I wrote something, but then removed it when I realized I was wrong about something in my initial response.
    LOL cool

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    based on your minimal criteria, either one will do the trick. so i'll tell you what I'd do.

for me, I'd go Pivot, but for mostly superficial reasons. It's a better fit for me (longer TT in my size, XL), the Ibis appears to have a cramped cockpit based on the numbers alone (again in XL). The Pivot is a little slacker, takes a bigger fork, and isn't fugly. sorry, the Ibis frame just has ugly triangles, I find it unappealing visually. It has sharp, angular lines, in a bad way. (see? superficial). I don't care for boost so I'd rather the 142mm rear on the Ibis, just for compatibility of my current wheelsets.

I don't care about breaking down the frame for traveling, or about belt drive. so there's two features I'd pay for and not need/use. which brings me to price, if i'm looking at it correctly, the Pivot is less for the same build kit.

so there's my $.02. if you want better answers and not the inner ramblings of a steel frame fanatic, you should give more details about what you value in a frame.
    Well I didn't ask for a better answer than this... I simply asked for thoughts, Thanks for sharing yours. I apologize I made you ramble.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yep, I'd agree with OneSpeed. My dislike of the Ibis is simply vanity. If you're thinking either of these though, you should also look at the Giant XTC just for thoroughness. Me, I'd snag the Pivot if I ever lost interest in Ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thank you guys! all good thoughts... I like the idea of the Giant XTC

mtbr member
    There are a few people on this forum that switched to B+ or 29+ for SS and absolutely love it and a few that don't think it works so great for SS. I want to swing a leg over a Giant XTC SS+ and a Stache to compare to a traditional 29er SS like the Pivot. I guess having light carbon wheels and tires makes all the difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am currently on an Ibis Tranny 29 that I built late last summer. I really love the bike in all aspects. I agree the TT is a little shorter than I am used to but after riding it a while I found that I actually like it, very comfortable to me especially over long distances. I originally set out to build a Les but my LBS (that I love and try to give all my business to) is an Ibis dealer and not a Pivot dealer, so I decided to give the Tranny a shot. With that said I cant get the Les out of my head, and have put my Niner RKT up for sale to fund a Les. That way I can ride both and decide. I made a thread very similar to this one not too long ago, check it out for a little more info:

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/e...s-1033325.html

If you have any specific questions about the Tranny feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number. Also if your are in or close to central / southern Maine and want to ride the Tranny give me a shout.