pissed off with sid....upgrade time :)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

pissed off with sid....upgrade time :)

Wanting 2 upgrade fork. Currently have sid 02race.I weigh 63kgs. My S.Ser is my trail bike and xc race bike. So after fork that does both well and without the big maintenance issuses l have with me sid. Needs 2 be 85mm travel any longer stuffs up me bikes handling. Any recommendations. wanting 2 know what works.

Lactic Acid is my friend.

One word:

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinsinglespeeder
    Wanting 2 upgrade fork. Currently have sid 02race.I weigh 63kgs. My S.Ser is my trail bike and xc race bike. So after fork that does both well and without the big maintenance issuses l have with me sid. Needs 2 be 85mm travel any longer stuffs up me bikes handling. Any recommendations. wanting 2 know what works.
    FOX

edit: What?! How can my message be too short!? "Please lengthen your post to at least 5 characters".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A real Shaolin SS'er would ride rigid

Connect directly with your qi.
    Try it.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

join the club

My 3 best riding buddies, based on their experiences with SID, have all vowed to never ever again purchase any RockShox product. One got soaked almost $200 to have his 2-year-old SID serviced because the mechanic had to custom-assemble some parts for it, because RockShox no longer offered replacement parts for his "old" fork.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Fox Float 80 RLT or Zoke Marathon. Zoke's got better seals and (imho) tuneability; Fox is much stiffer.

Rigid forks are also a lot of fun, and you should own one even if you don't use it much. Try it once, and you might discover that it doesn't slow you down or make you ache at all!
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

Soospension

A rigid fork and some huevos will cure your ills.
    Also, visit this site: http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/m/10...ct_search.html
    A lot of forks that are free of maintnenance.

Manitou makes great forks too.

Just Ride!

Pace RC31

No first hand experience with the Pace, but it's next on my list when my Rock Shox Duke SL dies.
    https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=433

mtbr member

Pace RC31

I run Pace forks on my Cuss - both the rigid RC31 and the RC36 Type R. The RC31 doesn't have lawyer tabs, so if you run disk brakes, check your quick release often. From a ride standpoint, it's more compliant than the stock steel rigid fork and it's unbelievably light (~700 grams). It's not a jumping fork.

The RC36 is fairly light (~1500 grams), stiff as a Zoke and buttery smooth for a coil spring setup. Pace also offers an air sprung version (RC38), but I never tried one. The only issue with the RC36 is the maintenance - it has grease ports for the seals and you have to top them off after EVERY ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

singlespeed smash brother
    Get a fox poo. I spoke to Russel on the week end on the most excelent ride you missed and he said he could get one in and look after you if you know what I mean.

mtbr member

F80x

I'd go with the Fox's F80X. Superb performance with incredible results. Does not flex at all (like the sids).

my 2-cents

stoom

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    Connect directly with your qi.
    Try it.
    I did. my fork died on a warm up lap. So I had 2 lock it out 4 the race. my hands are still sore . I do like forks when they work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Fox Float 80 RLT or Zoke Marathon. Zoke's got better seals and (imho) tuneability; Fox is much stiffer.

Rigid forks are also a lot of fun, and you should own one even if you don't use it much. Try it once, and you might discover that it doesn't slow you down or make you ache at all!
    yeah was lookin at the marathon sl and was wondering about the seals. did ride rigid after the fork died was fun but much pain after . Old broken wrist and ac joint. or maybe just soft.

mtbr member

Fox F80RLT

I ride rigid almost exclusively, but wanted a suspension fork for those really rocky occasions. I read too many bad reviews about SID forks and decided it was best to go with the Fox F80RLT. I don't think I'll regret it.

Keith