Pinky – Alaskan Style...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pinky – Alaskan Style...

Here she is with 65mm wide Large Marge wheels & Nokian Gazzoloddi 3.0 tires…
    Attached Images Attached Images

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Sick!

Sick sick sick!! New race bike, I take it?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

She'll make a nice race bike...

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Sick sick sick!! New race bike, I take it?
    She’s not mine… I just stopped by Pat Irwin’s bike shop the other day and had to take a few photos…

b-boy
    that thing is totally awesome. that thing will probably have as much suspension as my old fsr

sufferer of a.d.d.
    holy moly those tires are enormous!!! i think they might be bigger than the ones on my first motorcycle. really nice looking build.

Out spokin'

You can really do that?!?

I don't believe my eyes! Whoa!!!

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bill
    Here she is with 65mm wide Large Marge wheels & Nokian Gazzoloddi 3.0 tires…
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

pedalphile

I dunno...

That may be the coolest bike I've ever seen.
    Those rims... the tires... the pink paint... It makes me feel funny.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

You Are What You Is

Why?????

Please, forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell me why in the name of Pete (not Fagerlin) people put 3.0s on a rigid ss? I understand wanting a little suspension, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a "rigid" bike. Not to mention the weight penalty. I'm sorry, but those wheels just look out of place on that otherwise choice looking ride. Just my .02 ¢.

Frequent Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Please, forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell me why in the name of Pete (not Fagerlin) people put 3.0s on a rigid ss? I understand wanting a little suspension, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a "rigid" bike. Not to mention the weight penalty. I'm sorry, but those wheels just look out of place on that otherwise choice looking ride. Just my .02 ¢.
    Because these guys use them in the snow, in winter, in Alaska! It does snow a little bit up there .
    SB

mtbr member

f f f

Well, I guess fatties really DO fit fine!
    You gonna ride that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Floatation!

You Are What You Is

Aha, snow....that white, cold, wet substance?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Because these guys use them in the snow, in winter, in Alaska! It does snow a little bit up there .
    SB
    I guess if you're ridin' that in the snow then more power to 'ya!

Are you talking to me?

There are fatties all over the place in Alaska.

That is a choice ride. Great for the deep stuff. That bike is made for the long snow races.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

beach bike

It's a beach bike! Sand, snow, whatever you hit and need float. Think of the possibilities. There's alot of Alaskan shoreline just waiting to be ridden. Pat Irwin

mtbr member

one thing tho!

those orange cable ties look like an afterthought.

Not me

cogs?

It looks like it has 3 cogs. I'v enever seen that--still trying to figure out this whole SS thing. Can you switch the cogs during a ride? Does it require an EBB? Please advice.

Sweet looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

multi-cog SS setup

Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    It looks like it has 3 cogs. I'v enever seen that--still trying to figure out this whole SS thing. Can you switch the cogs during a ride? Does it require an EBB? Please advice.

Sweet looking bike.
    Priest, after many years of SS only riding, I find it easier to use a QR cassette wheel with 2 different cogs(usually 16/18 or 18/20 for snow) instead of spinning a FW off in a vise every time I want to change gears. When all you ride is a SS, this setup makes life much easier. It's also easier than a flip-flop hub, which I also have as backup. The 3rd small cog is so the cassette lockring will lock onto the freehub. It's the small cog in the cassette that mates to the lockring. Hope I don't offend anybody....
    I never have changed gears while on a ride, although you can easily enough, but I do change frequently before a ride, such as my 10 mile uphill commute after it has snowed all day while I'm here at the shop. Or if I decide to take the offroad trail home that's much tougher than the road for my aging body. Hope you guys understand. I've been able to run QR on all my steel frames.
    As for the orange zipties, wouldn't you know it but I ran out of black ones just before building it. I'll replace them today so you guys feel better.
    As for the bike, the Large Marge's are nice. A bit hard to change tires/flats, but all the more reason to not skimp on tubes, etc. For those who don't want to be limited to established trails, you'll now be able to hit the beaches of the world and ride until they say we can't anymore. This is also the preferred snowbike setup for those who detest windtrainers. And it won't set you back but a few bucks!
    The 1x1 is unchanged but for the color, and the brake bosses have to be shaved down for the rims to fit. Disc only!
    I heard a rumor of a tweeked 1x1 with even wider clearance in the future, so let Surly know if you're interested.
    Hope it warmer there than here, Alaska Pat Irwin

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Too fukking cool!

mtbr member

Orange zipties…

Quote Originally Posted by MrNatural
    those orange cable ties look like an afterthought.

Someone had to complain about the orange zipties… They have been replaced with some almost-matching pink ones… Sleep well…
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Large Marge Availability??

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    As for the bike, the Large Marge's are nice. A bit hard to change tires/flats, but all the more reason to not skimp on tubes, etc. For those who don't want to be limited to established trails, you'll now be able to hit the beaches of the world and ride until they say we can't anymore. This is also the preferred snowbike setup for those who detest windtrainers. And it won't set you back but a few bucks!
    Pat,

Have the Surly boys told you when the rims will be ready for sale?? The last I heard was late summer and I'm really wanting one for my unicycle. I'm having my unicycle frame built with magura rim brake mounts, so I can use Magura HS-33's in the summer with an Alex DX-32 hoop and MegaBlaster 2.5, and just memove the brake and use the Large Marge in the winter with a Gazzilla 3.0. I'm pretty sure the Marge will clear the Magura brake bosses, since they don't stick inward as far as canti bossses.

cheers.... Mojoe from Iowa
    http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

"Mr. Britannica"

the whole zip tie thing with discs

seems kinda jive (not just thing particular bike). Wow, you chopped off the canti/v studs, didn't you?
    Last edited by roadiegonebad; 03-27-2004 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Junie-ish for Marge

Quote Originally Posted by Mojoe
    Pat,

Have the Surly boys told you when the rims will be ready for sale?? The last I heard was late summer and I'm really wanting one for my unicycle. I'm having my unicycle frame built with magura rim brake mounts, so I can use Magura HS-33's in the summer with an Alex DX-32 hoop and MegaBlaster 2.5, and just memove the brake and use the Large Marge in the winter with a Gazzilla 3.0. I'm pretty sure the Marge will clear the Magura brake bosses, since they don't stick inward as far as canti bossses.

cheers.... Mojoe from Iowa
    http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

Marge is scheduled to arrive in June, give or take a few weeks. They'll be dark anodized and eyeleted for an even better wheel. The XC version is drilled out on the inner wall, and the DH is not. 65mm wide. Perhaps it's time for a uni in the Iditarod Trail Race!
    Later, Alaska Pat

mtbr member

SS Moster Truck

Dude! Those rim/tires are HUGE! That looks freaking sick.

Can you post a link where to get those rims?

Frequent Crasher
    Looks like they won't be available until june. They will be made by Surly www.surlybikes.com the rims are called Large Marge. The tires are Nokian Gazzalodi (sp?) your LBS should be able to order them.
    SB

Lactic Acid is my friend.

balance

Can you balance that thing on its 2 wheels?!

My GF won't let me get a pink bike.

mtbr member

Info

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Looks like they won't be available until june. They will be made by Surly www.surlybikes.com the rims are called Large Marge. The tires are Nokian Gazzalodi (sp?) your LBS should be able to order them.
    SB
    Thanks for the info SuperBad

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    boy thats gonna embarass some people when they get passed by a pink singlespeed