mtbr member

Phil Wood Titanium or Stainless

I have a new 180mm 36t ENO crank on my SS. I am getting a phil wood BB and was looking at the Titanium BB. I am 175 pounds and race endurance, XC events. Would the TI BB be strong enough or should I go Stainless

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by crowmag
    I have a new 180mm 36t ENO crank on my SS. I am getting a phil wood BB and was looking at the Titanium BB. I am 175 pounds and race endurance, XC events. Would the TI BB be strong enough or should I go Stainless
    Ti BB is definitely strong enough. I weigh the same and use the Ti in 3 of my SS rigs. I'm a hard masher on the climbs. I've also done a 24 Hour 4-man on my SS without a hiccup.
    I use the Premium Ti, not the Proprietary Ti. I just couldn't justify the coin for the difference in weight.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

AT 185 lbs and endurance racing...

I snapped a PW Ti BB. I'm hard on equipment though. I'd go with stainless, the weight difference is eh....and yer less likely to snap steel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Another option is White Industries Ti BB they are producing once again. A VERY nice BB, which I prefer to the PW (and yes, I've had PWs). FWIW.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Check out the reviews on Phil Wood bottom brackets. You can't go wrong.

Harrumph
    I'd say get the SS one. I noticed a bit more flex out of my Phil than the old UN-52 it replaced, but is a more than reasonable trade off for the smoooooooooooth bearings and weight savings. But with a SS and 180mm cranks I think the Ti spindles would be a even a little more flexy, and the weight savings vs. cost wouldn't be worth it. Just speculation on my part as I've not ridden a Ti-spindled bike, FWIW.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Helibee
    Another option is White Industries Ti BB they are producing once again. A VERY nice BB, which I prefer to the PW (and yes, I've had PWs). FWIW.
    why do you prefer the white? is it similar to their older bb's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Similar to their previous BB's, except they now use angular bearings. The BB also allows for preload adjustment too. Lighter too.

I prefer not having the splined cup interface with the BB bearing surface with a press fit. Not that I ever had a problem with my PWs. I also prefer using a standard BB tool vs the PW tool. Personal preference all the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I prefer not having the splined cup interface with the BB bearing surface with a press fit. Not that I ever had a problem with my PWs. I also prefer using a standard BB tool vs the PW tool. Personal preference all the way.
    hmmm... not having the press fit seems nice. i think my experience w/ a white bb may be really old, but are you saying that they have the fixed/adjustable cups of back in the day?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    are you saying that they have the fixed/adjustable cups of back in the day?

Yes, exactly. It's like jewlery, as you obviously know. Good luck deciding You can't go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    are you saying that they have the fixed/adjustable cups of back in the day?
    Yes, exactly.
    hmmm... i'm not the OP, but i sort of like the 'spline' bb tools more than the old 'flat' ones. i think having this w/ a loose bearing bb wouldn't be that bad to do somewhat regular maintenance (the lack of which is how my old white bb died). i never really had shop quality kit, but getting the fixed cup off was a right pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words....

I prefer the spline tool that has the center pin as I think it is less likely to slip and possibly strip threads.

I wasn't sure we were talking about they same thing regarding the cups. Hopefully this helps to clarify.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    How much is the new White Industries Ti BB and do they make a 118mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If I remember, they are offering only two sizes right now, 113mm and 121mm? (I think)

Cost.... I don't remember that either, but it was less than a Ti PW with cups and lighter too. Give Lynette a call, she's very personable.

Like I said, PW is an awesome American made BB too. Can't go wrong either way. Just pick your poison.
    Last edited by Helibee; 09-09-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0