Phil Wood Junkie Needs Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Phil Wood Junkie Needs Help

I have a set of 26" Chris King SS Disc wheels, but I just put in an order for a Strong Racing 29er. My better judgement says rebuild the Kings but I have been jonesing for that sweet Phil love for years. My friend has already made me an offer on the Kings (laughing the whole time I might add) which should just about cover the cost of the Phil hubs and maybe a rim. Help me please! That polished hub body is like ocular smack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    I have a set of 26" Chris King SS Disc wheels, but I just put in an order for a Strong Racing 29er. My better judgement says rebuild the Kings but I have been jonesing for that sweet Phil love for years. My friend has already made me an offer on the Kings (laughing the whole time I might add) which should just about cover the cost of the Phil hubs and maybe a rim. Help me please! That polished hub body is like ocular smack.
    Unhhh, you're asking to be talked OUT of buying Phil hubs? If that's right, then sorry, I can't help you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll be Very Interested in Your...

decision. I just converted my SS to a front disc and rather than swap wheels back and forth with my F/S, I am getting a new front wheel. I currently have CK on all three bikes (SS, F/s & Cross) and they are the bomb. I am a little ticked about the recent price increase, more than anything because I have been told they are dictating minimum built wheel prices. But as many have said, its my decision, don;t like it, don;t buy it. I am trying to decide between the new Phil light weight hub and a Hadley. If the $$$ wree the same, the decision would be cake...Phil!! I can have the Hadley built for about $100 less! Have you seen the new light hubs?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    Have you seen the new light hubs?
    Mmmm...details?

baker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

According to Brent...

at PW the new lighter hubs are about ready to ship. There is a batch of silvers "on the machine' waiting to get polished and painted. This was last week. He didn;t recall off the top of his head what the weight savings would be for the front disc hub, but the rear hub will be shedding 125 grams. They are going to cost more, he was saying that it should be about $40 per hub. Still trying to decide between them and the Hadleys.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

Where's Toto?
    Phil stuff is just flat out sweet. Been around a lot longer than CK and has soul. I bought my first set of Phil hubs in 1979 when they had stainless centers. They're probably still out there rolling around somewhere. Beautiful workmanship. A little heavier than the CK's, but the new lightweight hubs may solve that issue. I own a couple of sets of CK too. They're sweet hubs, providing you're ok with the noise.

Don't think you can go wrong with Phil or CK. I'd give it to Phil on looks though.

mtbr member

More complications

Damn...the Phils come in a light weight version? Now I really have to buy them. I had no idea they existed. Thanks for the info and the pic.