Thread: Phil Wood Hub

Crosley623
    Mar 2006

Phil Wood Hub

I just built up a set of surly ss hubs to some delgado rims. My only problem nw is that Im gonna end up having to buy a disc only 29er frame. Im looking into the phil wood kiss off hubs. They seem to be reasonably priced and just run on a freewheel. Heres a link http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SPEED+REAR+HUB
    What exactly does the zero dish rear spacing mean to me, and does anyone have any thoughts on these hubs. Thanks

mtbr member
    yeah mate, I've got them on my KM, they are works of art. You can't do better.

Zero dish means the spokes on both sides of the hub are the exact same length, ie there is no dish in the wheel, ie if you look at the wheel from above, the rim will line up with dead centre of the axle. It is as strong a build as you can get. I've had roadies pull up beside me while riding and marvel at the width of the rear hub, they wouldn't believe it was zero dish, silly roadies.

They aren't for weight weenies though.

Crosley623
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the help, its all starting to make sense right now

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not to nitpick, but on -any- wheel the rim should line up with the dead center of the axle. The asymmetry of a dished wheel is found in the spokes and the hub flanges.

Members who have read this thread: 0