Petal Problems Pls Help!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Petal Problems Pls Help!!

Hey guys!! Got a quick one for ya that has had me stuck on stoopid for a while now. Iíll make it quick and short but funky!! I ride a 29er SS Monocog Red Line and have been for almost 8 months (maybe more lost count ;oP). Iíve been using Shimano Petals since I started riding rears almost 5 to 6 years ago. When I started the SS thing well, about the same time. I had to get some new shoes. B/c the old ones where just too old. I got a few pair of shoes different brands but all the flexible type of shoe. One of my shoes = SH-MP66L current petal = PD-M540
    Since I started the SS thing I have been riding allot more! Getting stronger on the climbs and what not. (Did I tell ya I love this 29er SS thing? Well yes I FREAKING DO!! Muhhahahaha ). But it seems that my left knee is having problems with the new shows or and petals. Iíve moved the cleats up and down side to side on the shoe but nothing makes it feel better. The cleats feel somewhat loose too. My question is DO SS people have these problems with Shimano Petals or any other petals? And Does the type of shoe matter? I just started using a set of Time petals that feel somewhat better. AM I doing something wrong here? IS there like a sweet set up I should give a chance to? What petals and shoes work better for the SSing 29er thing? Your help would be greatly appreciated it!! Thanks In advance.

Sorry for not being short like I promised but I get happy some times ;o)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinKen
    Hey guys!! Got a quick one for ya that has had me stuck on stoopid for a while now. Iíll make it quick and short but funky!! I ride a 29er SS Monocog Red Line and have been for almost 8 months (maybe more lost count ;oP). Iíve been using Shimano Petals since I started riding rears almost 5 to 6 years ago. When I started the SS thing well, about the same time. I had to get some new shoes. B/c the old ones where just too old. I got a few pair of shoes different brands but all the flexible type of shoe. One of my shoes = SH-MP66L current petal = PD-M540
    Since I started the SS thing I have been riding allot more! Getting stronger on the climbs and what not. (Did I tell ya I love this 29er SS thing? Well yes I FREAKING DO!! Muhhahahaha ). But it seems that my left knee is having problems with the new shows or and petals. Iíve moved the cleats up and down side to side on the shoe but nothing makes it feel better. The cleats feel somewhat loose too. My question is DO SS people have these problems with Shimano Petals or any other petals? And Does the type of shoe matter? I just started using a set of Time petals that feel somewhat better. AM I doing something wrong here? IS there like a sweet set up I should give a chance to? What petals and shoes work better for the SSing 29er thing? Your help would be greatly appreciated it!! Thanks In advance.

Sorry for not being short like I promised but I get happy some times ;o)
    A good plant food will do wonders for your petals.

Your knees will do better if you go back to a stiffer soled shoe to use with your SPD pedals.

Flexible soles are hell on the knees as your foot is not supported well and can not keep the knee stable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinKen
    I got a few pair of shoes different brands but all the flexible type of shoe.
    The cleats feel somewhat loose too.
    You'll get a lot more support and hence comfort out of a stiff-soled biking shoe, you really need more than a street sneaker with an SPD mount.

The cleats, when mounted to the shoe should have absolutely no movement at all. A good way to check this is to check it's position after you've clipped-in and then out. If it shifted there's a problem.

-pete

highly visible
    Petals are flexy. Try riding on some pedals and you may get more power to the ground.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Out spokin'

Zu Zu's pedals

disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0