pedals- Mtbr.com

Thread: pedals

Sock Monkey

pedals

I am new to single speeding, just ordered my bike online and expect to have it in a couple of days. My main ride right now is a Santa Cruz full suspension 29er, and for years I have used Crank Brothers pedals. I just love their simplicity and light weight.

Do most people use flats or clip less for single speeding? Or do they just ride whatever they ride on their geared bike?

Thanks in advance for any input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Why would you want to buy different pedals meaning you have to swap clips/shoes depending on the bike you take out? If you like crank bros, then get more of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Do most people use flats or clip less for single speeding?
    I'm not sure what most people do, but all the SSers that I ride with use clipless pedals. I find that, on the climbs, pulling up on the backstroke is a must if I don't want to walk. Personal opinion is that I would be walking a lot more if I had flat pedals.

That said, ride whatever you like. Contrary to what you learned in school, you don't have to be like everybody else...

local trails rider
    Pulling up on the pedals is a last resort but, riding singlespeed, you sometimes need that little extra boost. Still, there's a plenty of people who prefer flat pedals anyway.

Being a heavier SS rider, I find that I'm hard on my pedals and BBs. I hear that CB's latest models are more durable than before. I've stayed with Time clipless pedals.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I ride SS with flatpedals... clip less is not for me... that being said, I tried a few and straitline pedals are by far the best
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    ride whatever you happen to like. everyone's experience and preference is different, but here's mine:

I started out on platforms because my first SS bike was also my first mtb. then I got some SPDs and got used to them for the past few years. as an experiment, I tried riding my local trails with sneakers and platforms the other day. miserable! I spend about half my time out of the saddle and climbing out of the saddle with platforms is pretty tricky. the extra bit of power and control that I seem to get from being clipped in is something I don't compromise.

Dirty South Underdog
    XTR pedals are my favorite
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    For me, pulling up on the backstroke is not a last resort and I wouldn't be able to ride well with flats. Just as in road riding, spinning circles rather than just mashing is key to getting a good power stroke. Even when I'm pushing a steep hill and cadence is very slow I am always "spinning circles" perhaps even more so than when the cadence is high. I push a pretty steep gear for the terrain I ride, and I'm certain that if I was on flats I'd have to drop to a significantly easier gear to keep from walking.

FWIW, I like Time ATACs. Durability of eggbeaters is not for me...
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

local trails rider
    Spinning circles is not the same thing as pulling up hard on the backstroke.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    whatever. I apply power on the up and downstroke. I do this whether I'm sitting or standing. At slow cadence the upward pull is pronounced. At high cadence if you're only pushing down and not pulling up then you're also bouncing on the seat. I've always equated "no bouncing" to having a smooth spin. Hence "spinning circles". And I use the term to describe the power stroke at both low and high speed cadences. If you have another term to use for slow-cadence spinning while standing on the SS, please suggest it - I'll gladly take it under advisement.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    At high cadence if you're only pushing down and not pulling up then you're also bouncing on the seat.
    No. It is quite enough to lift you foot enough that the pedal isn't pushing it.

When I was learning to spin, I took the advice to "imagine that the foot is floating on the pedal". Feels like the pressure between foot and pedal doesn't change throughout the stroke. That works very well at high cadence. At low cadence, it doesn't feel the same but it is still quite possible to pedal smoothly without pulling up.

I avoid pulling up hard because it puts quite a strain on the knees and I have a history of knee problems.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    ...oh, and I'll add another reason I don't like Eggbeaters (other than the fact that the 2Ti pair I tried broke after two months of use). They would often release on a hard upstroke - a problem I've never had with Time. It's a bit disconcerting to have your pedals release when pushing a hard climb. Once it happens enough that you start taking it easy fearing another crash then the pedals are affecting your performance - time for another product.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    whatever. I apply power on the up and downstroke.
    yup. if you aren't pulling upward, you might as well use platforms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Singlespeeds and platforms are great for non-xc riding. No derailer to get ripped off by boulders, logs or stumps. Meanwhile, the pedaling efficiency of clipless is great for xc riding. In other words, it really matters exactly what type of riding you're doing.

Members who have read this thread: 0