Pedals for 29er/SS- Mtbr.com
    Out there
    Aug 2006

Pedals for 29er/SS

OK, don't laugh, don't laugh, this is a reasonably sensible question.

I'm just about to build up my third bike. It's a 29er Misfit diSSent rigid SS which will join a Niner SIR9 and a Commencal Meta 5.2 both running 3x9.

This one's a budget build so I'm using what's to hand. Pedal choice is either some really nice platforms I've been saving up or some Shimano SPDs I pulled off my wife's bike (she wants platforms).

I run Shimano 520s on the other bikes. I initially put platforms on the Commencal but I hated the feel of them on the bumpy/jumpy stuff. However I'd like to have one bike that I could ride in regular shoes, and can ride skinnies/features on without worrying about falling off clipped in. On the other hand, I've ridden clipless for so long that platforms feel very strange and insecure to me.

So, which pedals for the SS and why?
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Low speed, High Drag
    When I put my Karate Monkey together, I was running Crank Bros Mallet's. Could ride 'em either clipped in, or in regular shoes. Being as the bike was my first SS, they really helped out, when getting started on climbs, and stuff like that.

I've since switched back to my Candy's, and threw the Mallet's on my 6" bike.

Nat
    mtbr member
    How about this one? It has a broad base for solid footing, yet you can clip in. They are heavy as shet though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i would say clipless of some sort. you need all the power you can get on the climbs. when you are out of the saddle hammering it will be really nice to be clipped in. i'm running eggbeaters and love them. i've ran spd's and hate them, but that is just my opinion and i know lots of people that love spd's.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    SPDs because that is what you are use to using and your new bike is still just a bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    SPD' for sure. Because as posted, you'll need all of the power you can muster on some of those long grinding climbs

Mtn Biker Machinist

2nd the Mallet

I just switched from the regular eggbeaters to the mallets. I love the eggbeater design, but IMO, I feel like having a platform makes it easier to to get started in the rough stuff. I admit my riding skills are still improving, but I like the extra security of riding with a platform clippless pedal.

I also like being able to ride the ss around town w/o my spd shoes. You can score the Mallets at:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14976-240_CRBMC6-3-Parts-65-Pedals/Mountain/Crank-Brothers-Mallet-C-Pedals-'05.htm

I got mine from ebay for like 47.00 shipped.

frog

Reviewer/Tester
    If platforms are the pedal you want ... Crank bros 5050XX are good, so are the A frames.

If you don't want to slip off over the rough stuff, there are two things you can do. Use big gnarly traction pins in your pedals, and / or buy yourself a pair of 5-10 Impact shoes.

The 5-10 Impacts are so sticky that you have to lift your foot off to change position on the pedal...good stuff !

R.
    It is inevitable ...

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    How about this one? It has a broad base for solid footing, yet you can clip in. They are heavy as shet though.
    I recently tried the SPD647 platform clipless. Because they were longer, I had more pedal strikes, but I bike in very rocky conditions. Others find it easier to start on hills; after 3 rides I didn't find it much of an advantage. Went back to SPD 520/540 (no complaints). You can have mine for $55 shipped.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I'd say go clipless as they seem to suit SS riding very well, you can get so much more torque through the pedals.

I personally use Crank Brothers Smarties, nice and cheap and a lot nicer than my old set of XTRs!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    However I'd like to have one bike that I could ride in regular shoes, and can ride skinnies/features on without worrying about falling off clipped in. On the other hand, I've ridden clipless for so long that platforms feel very strange and insecure to me.
    I would definitely go with platforms. BMX pedals are nice. You may have to play around with the traction pins, but getting the feel you want is worth it. Right now my bikes have Snafus, Odyssey JCs, and DX copies. The Snafus and DX copies are both pretty grippy stock. The JCs need the longer (included) pins to be as grippy.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

EXORCIZE
    You could buy a hybrid pedal (clipless on one side, platform on the other). Shimano has one and I think they're very affordable. They have a lot of haters b/c its hit and miss getting back into the clipless side if you come out on the fly. But they may make more sense for those like me who's SS was bought for trails that demand less on-the-fly clipping in an out (less technical, fewer hairpin turns).

I'm new to SS, but I can't imagine going back to platforms and losing torque on climbs. I have stick legs and wonder if I could SS w/o clipless. I also think they're a plus when topping out on flats when you're spinning your cranks as fast as possible: more control and higher top speed.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Out there
    Aug 2006
    On the grounds that an ounce of experiment is worth a pound of theory, I tried putting my nice grippy BMX platforms on the bike and went off for a spin. I felt like an old lady. I think I am too used to the SPDs now.

I rode hybrids for ages and eventually took them off because I only ever rode the clipless side and never the platform.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I've been riding SS for 10 plus years. I use BMX flats and wouldn't consider riding with any other pedal. If you have a pedal you like on your other bikes just stick with that on the SS and maybe try something else if you're not completely happy with em, after you have SS experience.

The torque issue. Clipless is NOT going to increase torque or power on a SS. You climb standing up and there is no way being clipped in is going to make a difference. I ride all the time with riders with clipless and I'm consistantly one of the best climbers......without foot retention.

It's true that riding fast offroad with BMX flats requires more skill than clipless, but that's part of the fun.

bruce boysen

pvd
    mtbr member
    cheap SPD spuds are magic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

i use

platforms, specifically bmx platforms, and i use the longer size pins. used to tear up my shins when bailing, but now i'm a very proficient bailout artist. i would say just use whatever you are used to, stay comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i seriously cant believe no one has recommended time pedals!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Heh. I put the SPDs on it, then decided I wanted to have ONE bike I could ride in regular shoes, and swapped back to the BMX pedals. I've got a feeling this could take a while...

The BMX peds are super grippy but it sure feels odd doing jumps and bunny hops in them after the clipless.

Reviewer/Tester
    Your skill levels will improve by doing that. It is a technique that you must learn / re-learn with platforms but it will make you more skillful once mastered.

Relying on being clipped in to jump and bunnyhop is the easy way out..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    And remember, the best jumpers and bunny-hoppers in the world are NOT clipped in.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Kona platform pedals are pretty grippy and cheap too! I have them on my SS KM for when i am screwing around in town and rock time pedals when out on the trail. on my commuter ( which is a fixed steamroller) i rock bright green animal bmx pedals, which i also love. i say got for the bmx or some kona platforms!

Shut up and ride
    on a budget, I'd go with

http://www.crankbrothers.com/smarty.php

Shut up and ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    I've been riding SS for 10 plus years. I use BMX flats and wouldn't consider riding with any other pedal. If you have a pedal you like on your other bikes just stick with that on the SS and maybe try something else if you're not completely happy with em, after you have SS experience.

The torque issue. Clipless is NOT going to increase torque or power on a SS. You climb standing up and there is no way being clipped in is going to make a difference. I ride all the time with riders with clipless and I'm consistantly one of the best climbers......without foot retention.
    I disagree 100%

and if you spent some time riding clipless, I'd bet you would be THE fastest climber amoungst your friends

Members who have read this thread: 0