Pedal Suggestions.. and..- Mtbr.com
    ~I Ride In Circles ~

Pedal Suggestions.. and..

Just picked up a new bike... A KHS Solo One singlespeed.. I have a Duke SL fork on it. My main goal for this bike is play. I want it to be kept simple and fun. I want flat pedals because I want to use it for pump track stuff.. Light jumping and such. I also want clipless because I ride Eggs on my mountain bike and Quattros on my road bike. Obviously the mallet is the best option for keeping things simple in the cleat interface area.

Who here has experience with the Mallets? Yes they're going to be heavier than Eggs or some other system.. The Acids don't look to have much of a pedal platform.. If I ride the Mallets with sneakers will I always feel the wings?

My other question is in regard to the rear axle.. I conveniently had my hex tightened skewer snap as I was tightening the rear end.. So I have a traditional Shimano one holding things in place.. I would like to keep a simple quick release on the bike for ease of use.. What chain tugs do you all run? Any suggestions? Also, does one chain tug type gizmo handle it all well enough.. Or should I seek balance and go both side?

Thanks for any help !
    ~ it's all good ~

Welcome to the Gem...
    as for the pedals... /shrug. i use platforms. wellgo MG-1's are awesome.

if you need a chain tug... go with surly cause it's a bottle opener. and only put it on the drive side (only 1 necessary).
    Ibis Tranny 29

~I Ride In Circles ~
    yeah.. I've looks at the Surly one. Pretty nifty looking.

I just need more info on pedals.. I don't want to drop money on the mallets and hate them because I can't ride without clipless pedals..
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any BMX style partform will work if you want to use your sneakers.They're pretty cheap,too (under $30, usually)

~I Ride In Circles ~
    The flats I have on there now are generic Wellgos.. but they're decently tacky and stable.. I'm actually rather impressed with them.. Maybe I'll just buy a set of Eggs for the SS and switch out when the desire strikes..
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hey everyone, first post. got my ss today for commuting and general fun. keep my fs stictly for the trails.

anyway,

i used to have the mallets. i thought they were really great pedals. plenty of area if you nip out with non-cleated shoes or slippers etc to the shop. replaceable blades, lightweight, rugged.

unfortunately, i didn't like the crank bros format. no adjustment, breaking in period etc caused me to have many crashes and not able to unclip in time. since you already use eggbeater, i wouldn't think this would be a problem.

i say find some on ebay, give them i try. if you don't like them, sell them back on ebay and get your money back. (that's what i did)

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I don't like buying parts on ebay.. No telling how much someone else has abused the things you're buying.

I did go ahead and order a bunch of stuff for my ss though... Jenson and blue sky have about 4 packages coming my way.. Not sure exactly why jenson didn't send it all in one package though..

I love eggbeaters because it's a brainless operation. I don't want to worry about tension and release angles.. I like the fact I can just clip in and not worry about it.. and having ridden them long enough now I can unclip quickly enough that it's never a problem. I can usually get my feet off my eggs instantly if needed.

When I bought my road bike it came with generic Wellgo clipless pedals. I tried getting used to them for a few weeks.. but I hated them. I never felt like I was firmly attached. Entry and release sucked. Yes I realize that they're generic low end pedals and not exactly like my eggs. They don't represent high end XTR, Time, frogs and such. I've gotten used to eggs and will continue to ride them!

Thanks for the suggestions though. I did go ahead with the Mallet 2's in red. Should be interesting riding them
    ~ it's all good ~

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Got the new goodies in for the singlespeed.. Installed everything in about 1.5 hours. Nothing major but I took my time and enjoyed the process.
    Toys include
    Avid BB7 Front 185mm, rear 160mm
    Avid Speed Dial SL levers
    Avid Flak Jacket cables
    Surly Tuggnut tensioner
    Crank Brothers Mallet 2 pedals
    Shimano DX Cog

~ it's all good ~

Welcome to the Gem...
    very good looking bike.
    Ibis Tranny 29

likes beer