pedal pedal pedal wtf? ouch!...chain broke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

pedal pedal pedal wtf? ouch!...chain broke

So, I'm riding around lake chabot this evening with a couple of new riders...takin it easy till we get to a hill at the back of the lake and I stand up and start hammerin to get up when all of a sudden....over the bars I go.....WTF just happened?
    Turns out my chain broke - I think right at the half link

no harm done to me or the bike except I have to coast downhill and walk uphill all the way back.

The chain is pretty new with only a half dozen rides on it - less than 100 mile total....anyone ever have this happen?
    I just bought a standard chain. Is there a special chain I should have gotten?

-Rich

mtbr member

half-link or power-link?

Was it the power-link that comes on many sram and other chains OR was it a half-link used to help deal with chain tension issues?

pic powerlink

pic halflink

I've had a sram power link blow out on me with results like you experienced. I don't use them anymore (especially on my fixedgears) I usually run a cheap sram pc1, KMC or connex bmx

I have run 3/32 or 1/8 depending on cog and chainring. No discernible difference in reliability.

mtbr member
    it was a half link used to avoid a tensioner.

actually I'm not sure if I have a 3/32 or 1/8 chain. It was a new mtb chain that I had in the box of leftovers that I used to build the bike

just have fun!
    I haven't broken a chain since using a cheap BMX chain, but I still always carry a chain tool and extra links, just in case.

Misfit Psycles
    i run the kmc z610hx with a 510 half link. bullet proof.
    both are 3/32 and while the half link (and 510 chains in general) are 'weaker' per-say i have never broken any portion of the mix.

chains oft break at their point of assy half link or not. added care on assy and a good quality 3/32 chain are all you need...(for ss a good quality is $15!)
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was pretty sure it was an assembly error or something I did
    Just went to the lbs and picked up a new 3/32 chain and a half link this time I'll make sure the extra links are in the seatbag and not at home sitting on my workbench

mtbr member
    Another thing to check is your chain tension. if it's really tight, you're gonna break any chain.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

mtbr member
    It didn't seem like there was that much tension - I'll make sure I have it slack enough when I install the new one tonight

thanks for the input

Sep 2006
    I use a full nickel, 8 speed 3/32 Wipperman chain - they're strong! (40% stronger than a regualr chain says their advertising) They cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for.

Keep on Rockin...

Chain break..

The only time I've ever broken a chain on a SS is when the chain was too loose and it rode up on to the cog off center and popped apart. An old shimano. Other than that I've never had a SRAM PC-1 break. For the price I don't see how they can be beat.

Mike

French for "Suck"
    I've had a chain break at at half-link before. No fun. I try and avoid them now.

Members who have read this thread: 0