mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Peace 9r front disc brake help

Ok, I got my first bike in a long time. It has disc brakes, which are new to me. I thought setting it up was going to be easy but obviously I am doing something wrong. The front disc brake cable is way long. I know they have to be adjusted but no matter how I adjust the brake, the cable is way too long.

Thanks

Dan

mtbr member
    Assuming it has mechanical discs, is it the housing or the inner wire that's too long -- or both?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    just the inner wiring

mtbr member
    Cut it shorter!
    If your Peace has Tektro Aquila calipers like mine, I adjust the cable so it takes up just a tiny bit of tension in the caliper arm, tighten the cable clamp, then trim so about 1 inch is left over.

Apr 2007
    This had YouTube written all over it. Type in "adjust mechanical disc brakes" or something like that and you should get nauseating amount of info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    This had YouTube written all over it. Type in "adjust mechanical disc brakes" or something like that and you should get nauseating amount of info.
    believe me, I youtube it..I learned where to adjust the brake and what not but there is a big chunk still left that looks funky and out of place

Apr 2007
    Look harder. If you cant find the solution from the video tutorials, there's not much a keyboard and a screen will do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Look harder. If you cant find the solution from the video tutorials, there's not much a keyboard and a screen will do.

thanks for your contribution

Low Rep Count
    I have a Peace 26" that came with the Aquila brakes. Granted I upgraded them after about two rides but cockroach is correct. Dial in the brake by putting tension on the cable, tighten down the fastener bolt, trim the end, install a cable end, crimp, go ride!

The stock brakes were a bit of a pita to keep dialed in which is why I upgraded them to BB7's. I simply got tired of trying to get the allen wrench through the spokes and into the adjuster bolt.

mtbr member
    1SPD, funnily enough I did the same, changed to BB7s, but I still use the Tektro Aquilas on my el cheapo commuter bike, and they work just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I have a Peace 26" that came with the Aquila brakes. Granted I upgraded them after about two rides but cockroach is correct. Dial in the brake by putting tension on the cable, tighten down the fastener bolt, trim the end, install a cable end, crimp, go ride!

The stock brakes were a bit of a pita to keep dialed in which is why I upgraded them to BB7's. I simply got tired of trying to get the allen wrench through the spokes and into the adjuster bolt.

Neat. Perfect.. thank you guys..will see how it goes!!

Low Rep Count
    Don't get me wrong, they worked pretty well. I just hated dealing with trying to get the pads where I wanted them. I too have mine bolted up to my old Access frame that I had started putting together but need a new chain. I may end up putting an EBB on it as I don't really care for the tensioner. But, need to finish the little things with my Peace first.

Sorry, back on topic. Good luck with the cable trimming. Shouldn't be difficult and you should be riding in a matter of minutes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hope I can last on these stock ones. I was on a budget initially and went over with all the small accessories. Bike looks great but the frame looks slightly more slanted than what I imagined. thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 0