mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Paul Melvin tensioner.

Has or is anybody using one of these. I've fitted one to me bike and I'm having problems with the chain jumping or riding over the rear cog! I initially thought it was wear in the chain or cog, but I've replaced both and it still jumps. I've checked the chainline and it's spot-on. It never completely de-rails, just rides over the teeth. I'm using a 32/20 ratio and a 9spd chain. Any pointers or ideas greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Did you adjust the spacers on the Melvin? I had to add a shim to the bolt @ the dropout so that it would position the Melvin directly under the cog.

Also check your chain tension...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnni1968
    Has or is anybody using one of these. I've fitted one to me bike and I'm having problems with the chain jumping or riding over the rear cog! I initially thought it was wear in the chain or cog, but I've replaced both and it still jumps. I've checked the chainline and it's spot-on. It never completely de-rails, just rides over the teeth. I'm using a 32/20 ratio and a 9spd chain. Any pointers or ideas greatly appreciated.
    From what you describe,I think your problem is your rear cog/chain compatibilty.A 9 speed chain is too narrow for the cog most likely.Is the cog 1/8" or 3/32"? I use Sram 8 speed chains (3/32) on all of my SS's that have 3/32" cogs or cassettes.On the bike with Paul cranks (1/8" chainring) I can only run an 1/8" chain.An 1/8" chain will work on 3/32" freewheels,cassette cogs and chainrings since it is wide enough but 3/32" will not work on 1/8"(too narrow).Your 9 speed chain is too narrow to drop into the cogs teeth.What type of cog are you using?

mtbr member
    I set one up with 34 20 and an 8spd chain and it was hitting the cog. I added a shim that allowed the Melvin to be fixed so that it cleared the cog and no longer pivoted. It's been working great on a FS and even allows me to shift into a 24 small ring for bail out situations.

It might work as normal with an 18 but I didn't try that yet.

Pulling the rear wheel is a btch however. I basically have to remove the Melvin to do it.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I threw one on my MCR this fall to make sure I wanted a SS Air 9 Carbon, any how, I used a 16t surly cog and a 8 sp chain. worked great for the time i used it. but yes chain tension and line were very important and if they weren't on the money it would skip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ran mine as a tringle speed. 3 rings up front, single out back. 9 speed chain.

Is that Bill rated?
    I have had a lot of difficulty getting the Melvin to work with 19t or larger cogs, but not in the manner that you describe, merely the pulley dragging on the cog. The Melvin should not contribute to skipping as it promotes full wrap of the chain around the rear cog. I would also question your specific cog as that seems a likely cause of your woes.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the posts, its given me a few things to think about.

I was using a Surly cog on a cassette body, so had full adjustment and nice tall teeth to catch the chain. I did alter the spacers on the Melvin to suit. The chain I was using was a KMC 9sp which I would assume would be up to the job. I've just got a KMC 3/32" chain so I'll try that and let you know.

Members who have read this thread: 4