Paul Hub?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paul Hub?

mtbr member

Paul Hub?

do the paul hub's really hold up to their reputation of not needing chain tensioner's?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I didnt know that was a reputation of theirs, but so far mine has held up great (no slipping) and I have cased jumps at the BMX track and ridden it pretty hard for about 3 weeks on my Transition Trans Am.

I heard a trick was to shave the paint off of the drop out of your bike (inside and out) to help the hub bite better. Thats what I did and while I dont have enough ss experience to know otherwise, I bet it helped with my success.

Its a really really nice quality hub. Really smooth bearings, perfectly cut threads for the freewheel, long pre-greased axle bolts, and easy bearing preload adjustment. Hard to go wrong. The only potential down fall I can conceive is the aluminum axle losing some of its bite after repeated use. Many hubs (chris king comes to mind) have steel end caps on the axle (where it contacts the frame) to prevent wear like I am referring to. We'll see.

I got mine in silver and it looks sweeeeeet

mtbr member
    I personally love paul hubs, i also didnt know that this was a reputation of theirs. Their hubs are just awesome because of the quality of the bearings, i also appreciate the way that they bolt on, its just clean.
    But at work we have a shop mountain bike that we use with track ends and we dont use chain tensioners if that helps at all.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I never needed a tensioner with mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nothing needed on mine either.

I noticed right off the bat that my paul's wheel was always perfectly centered and it took me a bit to figure out it's because the face of the axle that contacts the inside of the frame is HUGE compared to most hubs.
    Maybe that's why? less of a tendency to wander under torque since it'd leverage the frame itself outwards by quite a bit?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Members who have read this thread: 0