Part recommendations for SS build- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride

Part recommendations for SS build

First let me say, I won't be actually purchasing anything toward this build till late summer at the earliest. Plan to buy parts throughout the winter and have a nice SS rig by spring 2014.

I'm basically sold on a Jabberwocky frame. But I'm mainly looking for lightweight wheel choices more than anything. Also cranks with removable spider would be nice too. So as to keep things clean looking.

Back to the wheels. I was considering a set of arch hoops, but am wondering if they sell Mavic Crossmax with a SS hub? Or no? Might have to do some digging to find out about that. But I'm not sure I wanna drop 1k just on wheels. Arches are closer to what I was thinking. Any other wheels of comparable weight to the arch/crest line?

Also any other parts you guys wanna recommend, feel free!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Arch EX's are great rims, hard to go wrong there. If you don't want to spend the money on king/i9/DT hubs the hope SS hubs are supposed to be nice.

The XX1 crank looks like a great deal too - hard to get into a carbon crank that cheap (probably because they're counting on making their money back on the rest of the XX1 group you won't need ). It sets up spiderless too, and it looks like you could get more than the price of a bling ring for the spider + ring on ebay!
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Just Ride
    Nice! Never looked into a XX1 crank, since I assumed it was to expensive. But without all the other garbage, I would save a ton. Poor sram!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pacenti CL 25 or TL 28 and the new Loaded X-Lite rims are in that ballpark. I was looking at the Loaded rims for a long time but they took too long to come out with them and I bought Crests. Built them up with Project 321 hubs and DT Revolution spokes. They are sick. Hopefully they don't explode. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like White Industries myself...sort of affordable luxury to me. I agree that any extra money should be invested in wheels. I have WI hubs on two trail bikes and a road bike, all with mavic rims as well, but thats my preference there. The rear hub is the most important, IMO. If you plan to swap out rear cogs, then the WI is a no go, but if you prefer a freewheel then their hub and freewheel is super nice. I also have their SS crank, mainly because a single piece sprocket is more round in my experience than a two piece.

WI rear hub $170
    WI front hub $170
    TN719 rims $160
    DT double b. $65

mtbr member
    If you decide to go with custom wheels, send Larry from Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels an email. I got mine (Flow with SS Chris King hubs) for $680 (Flow EX would be little more) plus shipping. I don't know about other hubs, but CK SS hub comes with 18t cog and fun bolts, so you can save some money there since you don't have to buy a cog and rear QR.

And because I got CK hubs, I got CK BB and headset as well - I like matching my shizzle. Little OCD that way.

For rest of parts, I really like 7000 aluminum parts (lighter than other aluminums, but a lot cheaper than carbons), unless you can find carbon parts on sale (Chain Reaction had mad sale on carbon parts not too long ago). My Kona Unit's dressed in Race Face Turbine parts - again, little OCD with matching parts. Other 7000 aluminum parts I was looking at were Truvativ AKA and Stylos.

I have BB7 with Speed Dial 7 levers and Jagwire Ripcord cable/housing. Since I'm on rigid, I rarely go fast downhill and it's got plenty of stopping power for my riding style. If you want hydros, some places (I think both Jenson and Chain Reaction) were selling Shimano XT for under $150 - hard to pass up on that.

I just got Shimano Saint crank M820 (for under $250 from Chain Reaction, plus Niner chain ring, both under $300), and I like how beefy it is. The crankarm is easily twice wider than my old FSA crank. I thought about XX1 briefly, but I weigh 220 lb on rigid with a lot of air time, so I figured I wouldn't have to worry about it with Saint cranks.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Ditto on the SAINT Cranks, They look rad on my Kermit Green Niner ONE 9. I run black XTR Btm Brkt, to get black, then EBAY unused Gold Btm Brkt, and sell Gold Saint Bolts for another $20.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My bicycle was assembled back in 2006 and I am a small guy (1.63 m tall) light as a feather (52 kg), for this bicycle I was not so demanding on the components, so I went the cheapo way. I ride rigid on a double buted steel frame KHS Montana Crest from 1996! My recommendation goes for brakes and hubs. Even though I use V-brakes, I would suggest BB7's. I assembled BB7's in my wife's full suspension geared bicycle and she is very happy with them. Rear hub is a Bontrager stamped, single speed that is nothing more then a Formula hub. So far so good, no problems what so ever. Front hub is Shimano XT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I use Crests with Hope SS hubs and DT Revolution spokes. Great combo.

mtbr member
    The Paul crank and WORD hubs look pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I just built up a KM and bought some cheap Crests/Hope wheels for under $400 from Wiggle UK - so, far they seem great. A good combo if you meet the weight limit and don't mind loud hubs. I'm using BB7s also and mostly cheaper parts. The wheels made the bike. Waiting on a MRP ring to complete the AKA crankset now.

Just Ride
    Some other options to consider for wheels I see. Around $600 for the frame and fork from the vassago website and say another $600 for nice wheels seems about right. Leaves me $800 for everything else. I'm trying to keep the price under 2k, so carbon is out of the question. Suppose I should have said, I'd prefer quiet hubs. So KK is also not really an option.

I already plan on running BB7's with SPD7 levers. As that's what I have on my bike now and they work perfectly fine for the terrain around here. No crazy downhill sections anyway. Just flowy singletrack. So when push comes to shove...I don't really "need" hydros. Besides with SS you don't use the brakes as much anyway.

Well luckily I have another several months before I'll have the money to start buying components. So I have plenty of time for research and whatnot. Keep the suggestions coming guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you like quiet hubs, Hope is out of the picture.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    If you like quiet hubs, Hope is out of the picture.
    For sure!

Oh Yeah Baby
    Love my Hope hubs.

Are the BB7's with Avid 7 levers lighter than running Avid hydro's? Sans the rotors of course.

To the OP, sounds like you have plenty of time to find a great deal on a wheelset or build what you like. Like you, I see $1000 as a big chunk to drop on wheels. My plan is to buy the wheels, buy the hubs, get the spokes, and then put it all together........over several several months of course.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent
    Trek CrossRip Comp

Just Ride
    Yea, I might by hubs, spokes and wheels. Then have my LBS lace it all up. They don't charge to much and that way I can get the best of everything, or at least what I want, without breaking the bank!

Just Ride
    So I'm now thinking maybe I should go with some carbon? At least as far as the fork goes. Anyone have experience with the niner carbon fork? I've read it's similar to an 80mm suspension fork, which is what the vassago website recommends. Other carbon forks are closer to 120mm. Also being a whole pound lighter than the ODIS fork, isn't so bad either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've used my origin 8 black ops fork for about 3yrs now and love it.