Paragon Sliders: Not all created equal !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Paragon Sliders: Not all created equal !

I am in the process of finding a builder for a new SS frame and love the concept of the sliders. I assumed all implementation of the sliders were the same, and that is not necessarily true. For example the Moots Uno looks very different from the Sycip.

I would like to hear from folks and see what the different frame builders are doing with these dropouts.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Moots...

use a hooded dropout that resembles the Breezer style dropouts on their geared frames. I believe they are the only builder using the hooded style Paragon sliders but other builders might join them to their rear triangles a little bit differently. As far as a function, I'll bet they're all the same.

mtbr member

Black Sheep

Though James prefers EBB's (I think?) I got him to do my frame with sliding drops, Paragon does an AMAZING job with them for sure. I run mine w/o the tension screw coming in from the frame. I'll post a crapy pic as reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Some look nicer than others....

In some pictures the sliders actually look slick, in others they are BUTT UGLY. But beyond how they look, are some builders doing a better job of altering frame geometry to accomadate this relatively new approach to dropouts?

mtbr member

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by NJ YetiMan
    In some pictures the sliders actually look slick, in others they are BUTT UGLY. But beyond how they look, are some builders doing a better job of altering frame geometry to accomadate this relatively new approach to dropouts?
    My builder (James of Black Sheep and Ground Up Bikes [actually Ground Up may have invented that style drop]) do a fabulous job, but I can only speak of these two amazing builders.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

www.badgercycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ YetiMan
    Depends on joining methods. On the Ti frames they have to be tig welded in so plugs or something custom must be used to cover the gaps after you slot for the dropout. I like you have seen this done slick and not so slick. On steel frames you can either tig weld them in just like the Ti bikes or you can braze them in. When brazing them in you fill all the gaps with silver or a certian brass used to join stainless and 4130. Most builders have a "style" when finishing this. If you see something you really like get a pic of it to your builder. Maybe they can do the same.

As far as altering frame geo you are going to get what you put in information wise. When I build with them I try to figure out where the wheel will sit 90% of the time and thats what I set the chainstay length to. I personally like to move the seatstay angle within a range to clean up the rear triangle look. When I notice sliders looking ugly its usually because the seatstays are at a funny angle as compared to the sliders angle. Sometimes this can be cleaned up but it depends on the riders measurements.

Mmmmmm Beer!

Strong!

Carl does a great job as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Columbus steel, Paragon drop-outs and silver solder

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    Depends on joining methods. On the Ti frames they have to be tig welded in so plugs or something custom must be used to cover the gaps after you slot for the dropout. I like you have seen this done slick and not so slick. On steel frames you can either tig weld them in just like the Ti bikes or you can braze them in. When brazing them in you fill all the gaps with silver or a certian brass used to join stainless and 4130. Most builders have a "style" when finishing this. If you see something you really like get a pic of it to your builder. Maybe they can do the same.

As far as altering frame geo you are going to get what you put in information wise. When I build with them I try to figure out where the wheel will sit 90% of the time and thats what I set the chainstay length to. I personally like to move the seatstay angle within a range to clean up the rear triangle look. When I notice sliders looking ugly its usually because the seatstays are at a funny angle as compared to the sliders angle. Sometimes this can be cleaned up but it depends on the riders measurements.
    thanks. the angle thing really makes sense now. do you mean that when the Seatstay comes out too vertical it looks awkward? the lines flow better when the seatstay is more horizontal?
    Only boring people get bored.

www.badgercycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    thanks. the angle thing really makes sense now. do you mean that when the Seatstay comes out too vertical it looks awkward? the lines flow better when the seatstay is more horizontal?
    Exactly. I have noticed it on really big frames. Just looks off to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    OK, so to make sure I am not dissapointed with the final product I need to:

1. make sure geometry, especially the seat tube angle accounts for the sliders and is not too "vertical"
    2. Get a picture to see what how the sliders are actually mounted, because there really is no standard.

I think I got it.

I'll let you know how I make out

Cheers!

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    where do you get them?
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    where do you get them?
    Steel SS

Steel Multi-Speed

Ti SS

Ti Multi-Speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    www.quiringcycles.net Take a look at what he's built.

mtbr member

Quiring

With Paragons!

And He was Not
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Members who have read this thread: 0