Paragon Drops with Der hangers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Paragon Drops with Der hangers

If I were to build a SS frame with Paragon Drops with the incling I may need to run gears every once in a great while (probably a 1X8 setup), the frame would need cable stops... I was wondering if it would be reasonable to run hydralic cable stops (like the ones that are secure the housing with zip ties) rather than traditional stops.

To use these stops I assume I would have to run full housing for the derailler cable which I assume would "slow down" the shifting a bit.

Is this approach a mistake waiting to happen?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses

Not at all. Before I went only singlespeed I would run full length housing just to keep the muck out of the cables. Any high end cable system, when properly installed shouldn't be a problem with full length.

French for "Suck"
    .. the frame would need cable stops...
    You don't need cable stops, full length housing and zip ties will work. But the Hydro-housing holders (three "h"s!) will make it look nicer.

mtbr member
    If I were to build a SS frame with Paragon Drops with the incling I may need to run gears every once in a great while (probably a 1X8 setup), the frame would need cable stops... I was wondering if it would be reasonable to run hydralic cable stops (like the ones that are secure the housing with zip ties) rather than traditional stops.

To use these stops I assume I would have to run full housing for the derailler cable which I assume would "slow down" the shifting a bit.

Hi

I would say this is a very good idea, it's one that I have considered, as have people like Fo Shizzle and D-Rock (I think?).

Full length housing is a good idea in wet and muddy conditions.

With this option you have the best of both worlds a SS and a geard bike should you every decide to do the dirty again!

Bored
    instead of welding cable stops, can I suggest these: Much cleaner when you want to run SS as you can just pull them off. Get some Double sided tape at the Depot and reuse them.

http://www.jagwireusa.com/cablehousingguides.html
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    instead of welding cable stops, can I suggest these: Much cleaner when you want to run SS as you can just pull them off. Get some Double sided tape at the Depot and reuse them.

http://www.jagwireusa.com/cablehousingguides.html
    Now that is a good idea, I'd definitely go with that option!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thank you for the advice as well as the great links to the Jagwire site! I posted a thank you message yesterday but my computer lost the signal as I was posting. Thanks All!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Members who have read this thread: 0