Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 + rigid fork?- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 + rigid fork?

Anybody out there running a Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 as a front tire with a rigid fork? I sliced the sidewall on my MutanoRaptor today and thus I'm in the market for a new front tire for my SS. I've had really good luck with the 2.1 Fire XC in the past, but just checking to see if anyone has an experience with the 2.4 FR as a front tire on a rigid SS.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    just checking to see if anyone has an experience with the 2.4 FR as a front tire on a rigid SS.
    I've got one, but haven't logged a lot of rides on it yet. First impressions are it's bigger than a Motoraptor 2.4 and definitely has noticeably more rolling resistance. Performed well in the super rocky terrain at the ECNASSCU in State College, PA. Profile isn't as round as the Moto, noticed this in the turns, but it didn't cause me any problems.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    I've got one, but haven't logged a lot of rides on it yet. First impressions are it's bigger than a Motoraptor 2.4 and definitely has noticeably more rolling resistance. Performed well in the super rocky terrain at the ECNASSCU in State College, PA. Profile isn't as round as the Moto, noticed this in the turns, but it didn't cause me any problems.

Anyone running both front and back? I've got a pair on order and will be trying them on the SS before I throw them on the freeride bike.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member

I have something close.........

I have a Pana-racer 2.5 Megablaster on the front of my rigid Monocog. Nice tire, I run about 22-25 psi in it and can really lean it over before I scare myself shitless.

Geo

Brakes?

Good job! One of my homies...

One of the local singlespeed honches is running these tires, and he loves them.

Front and rear on a rigid Surly, with hyd discs.

That's all I got, but he's really sold on these tires.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Anyone running both front and back? I've got a pair on order and will be trying them on the SS before I throw them on the freeride bike.
    Just front right now. I had it on the rear, moved it to the front and stuck a Kend a Nevegal on the rear.
    Last edited by riderx; 06-14-2004 at 10:03 AM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I did...
    It works great...although not as compliant as my 29er rigid w/ a 2.1" tire.
    My buddy Wayne runs the Pracer 2.4"/rigid combo as well. Likes it alot.
    Down Porcupine Rim last month...he kept up w/ a pack of about 14 long-travel FR bikes.
    They were all blown away! They'd look back to see how far back he'd dropped through the rough stuff and he'd be on their wheel!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Medium?

Nope

I went into a shop during the May by the Bay gathering for an emergency tire replacement. I've been looking at that FR 2.4 for a while thinking it would be just the ticket for rigid. When I had the shoppie get it down and hand it too me, the sidewall felt like toilet paper.

I went for a Maxxis 2.5 DH tire with a real sidewall instead. Rigid is ok, as long as you have some suspension.

I'm sure the FR 2.4 would be fine with 30+ psi in it, but at 20psi, I'll bet you'd get a lot of pinch flats.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    *tsk, tsk ,tsk
    Eddy, Eddy, Eddy, easy goes it!
    I know you are not the most conventional when it comes to equipment, but easy does it on the assumptions! =)
    Your fingers must be very calloused since the sidewalls on that P-racer FR are just dandy. And you aren't comparing apples to apples in your sidewall test. Of course a Maxxis DH tire will have a "real" sidewall...it's also over 1lb heavier than the P-racer 2.4. That's ALOT of meat to spin!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I went into a shop during the May by the Bay gathering for an emergency tire replacement. I've been looking at that FR 2.4 for a while thinking it would be just the ticket for rigid. When I had the shoppie get it down and hand it too me, the sidewall felt like toilet paper.
    I went for a Maxxis 2.5 DH tire with a real sidewall instead. Rigid is ok, as long as you have some suspension.
    I'm sure the FR 2.4 would be fine with 30+ psi in it, but at 20psi, I'll bet you'd get a lot of pinch flats.

Medium?

So then riddle me this:

How does "just dandy" feel at 20psi on an uber-rocky DH when trying to keep up with guys of full suspension rigs? I'm guessing PSSHSSSssssssssss...

I know already what it would feel like at 30psi. It would feel like I'd have to stop and rest my wrists and hands. I've got a wee bit o' the carpal ya know.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    LOL
    I think it's time for a squishy fork then.
    Forget trying to achieve comfort with a tire!

How does "just dandy" feel at 20psi on an uber-rocky DH when trying to keep up with guys of full suspension rigs? I'm guessing PSSHSSSssssssssss...

I know already what it would feel like at 30psi. It would feel like I'd have to stop and rest my wrists and hands. I've got a wee bit o' the carpal ya know.

err, 27.5+
    Just make sure you got clearance. Those tires on a 521 rim registered at 2.65" at 30psi from edge knob to knob. I actually couldn't fit one in the rear of my chameleon. I ran it as a front tire and was very pleased with the ride.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by York_PA_Rider
    I have a Pana-racer 2.5 Megablaster on the front of my rigid Monocog. Nice tire, I run about 22-25 psi in it and can really lean it over before I scare myself shitless.

Geo
    The Fire FR 2.4 is bigger and much more aggressive than the MegaBlaster.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

The FR works just fine in the 22-25 psi range. Plenty of volume. Heck, I was running the Cinder 2.25 @ 20 psi for the Demo Forest ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Medium?

I haven't found one

where I was satisfied with it's lateral rigidity, other than 6lb double clamps. The fox vanilla is pretty close when it's new, but the maintenance sucks, and they get flexy over time, and it's heavy.

(800g tire + 4lb fork) weighs more than (1200g tire + 2lb fork), and the second solution rides better most of the time, IMHO. Stutter bumps suck...