Painting crankarms?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Painting crankarms?

I've got some cheap (CPI) aluminum cranks that I am going to use for my SS. They are currently silver. I'd much prefer they were black (match the frame better). Could I use something like rubberized undercoating for this, or will it not adhere to the aluminum well enough?

indigosky

I've been wondering..

I've been wondering about this too. I've got some of the 03 Grey LX Cranks that would look much better in black. I thought about just roughing them up with some 200 grit sandpaper and hitting it with a few coats of rustoleum spray (flat).

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

powder coat!

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    I've got some cheap (CPI) aluminum cranks that I am going to use for my SS. They are currently silver. I'd much prefer they were black (match the frame better). Could I use something like rubberized undercoating for this, or will it not adhere to the aluminum well enough?
    Powdercoating works best for parts like cranks that can see serious wear. For some idea's, check Jason's bike out on this page: http://www.anvilbikes.com/gallery/categories.php? and you can see how he painted his cranks, stem, and fork to match the bike. Cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sweet!

That thing came out awesome! However, for these cranks, I think powdercoating might be going overboard. After all, I got them for free... Plus, if I was going to get something podercoated, I think I'd do something a bit higher quality...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was suggested to me that automotive wrinkle-coat (specifically VHT Wrinkle Plus) might work. But the most specific info I can find is that it adheres to "most metals". Wish it said aluminum specifically...

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

sure you can

you can paint crank arms, or powdercoat them, or have them anodized a different color. thing is, all of those finishes will wear off where your feet inevitably rub against the arms, leaving you with crank arms that are really really ugly, and you wishing you'd just left them silver.

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    you can paint crank arms, or powdercoat them, or have them anodized a different color. thing is, all of those finishes will wear off where your feet inevitably rub against the arms, leaving you with crank arms that are really really ugly, and you wishing you'd just left them silver.

Agreed. I painted a set of white RF Prodigy cranks black a couple years ago. They looked awesome for about......oh i dunno.......3 weeks maybe. Then the paint started to wear off were my shoes rubbed the crankarms and they looked like crap. I still used them for the rest of that season, then put them on a old norco frame that i built completly out of old parts from my "big box of bike s***". And promptly sold it. Easiest $400 i ever made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's what I figured...

Oh well. I'll just leave em then.