mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Paint Color - hmmmm

So I'm assembling all the goodies for my singlespeed project. I have the frame...and am having the Paul Comp. horizontal slideouts brazed on by a local framebuilder. Got a ss Spot Brand rear hub, Race Face Evolve Cranks, XT Hydro Front Disc Brakeset all used on ebay. Also picked up a 650b front wheel on ebay...so it's going to be a 650b/26er.

Now my next big decision is PAINT. I have some local powder coaters here in Houston. What color y'all like? I want simple...maybe British Racing Green? Or a cool Orange? I'd leave the Surly fork as is for some contrast.

Open to all suggestions!!! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Color - hmmmm-kona.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    just fyi, the above pic is the bike as i bought it...all the parts i mention are being shipped / collecting for my LBS to help glue em together!!

The need for singlespeed
    If I could pick any color for my frame it would be French's Mustard Yellow. It stands out without being too bright.
    Last edited by zaskaranddriver; 12-26-2010 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    right on! what do you think about British Racing Green?

openwound
    I don't know about French's, maybe something like a stone ground or dijon yellow -- and I'm not kidding. A less bright mustard yellow looks killer. If it were me, I'd paint the fork, too.

British racing green is nice but a bit dark for my tastes. Sounds like that's what you want, so go on with your bad self...post up when it's done.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    agreed...i like BRG, but not sure if it's the best color for a project bike build. Regardless, i'll be posting pics. Bike will be done in January.

mtbr member
    toothpaste color.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    toothpaste? white? that's my rocky mt blizz....

No known cure
    I almost went with British Racing Green for my new Coconino, but decided on RAL 6018 with a sparkle top coat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Color - hmmmm-img_0336.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nice. will you leave as is or do some decals etc? i'm expecting to pay about 200 for the powder job. am i in the ballpark?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ahhhh...no worries Vadar! I see your bike on the Coconino blog! Very cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A.
    toothpaste? white? that's my rocky mt blizz....
    Get yourself a tube of Crest. Not the dollar store spackle. The good stuff.

Take your tube and write out in Crest on a white piece of paper, This is the color I want, and mail it off to the paint / powdercoat guy. Pure Class:

mtbr member
    This colour - "Platsa Blue".......
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ooooh...that Kona is sa-weeet! I saw your bike in the retrobike uk board just by googling "platsa blue"! Looks like you used to have a 29er strapped on to the front? now you are back to the 6-6? Is that a Kona Cinder Cone? Thanks for sharing!!

mtbr member
    Hi Mike - I'm using it now with Salsa 425mm Cromoto forks and a 29" front wheel - that photo was taken over a year ago. The frame is a '95 Columbus Max Explosif, but with cable stops removed and disc mounts added.
    A nice frame, and light too - the only drawback is not very wonderful tyre - chainstay clearance, even with a bit more tube manipulation something like a 2.35" Rampage is very tight.
    Now, I mostly ride my Singular Hummingbird 69er.....(which is even nicer )

It's "Platsa Blue" BTW, because that's what my wife calls any pale blue like that. We have a house in the village of Platsa, Messinia, Greece and some of our paintwork there is that sort of blue.

mtbr member
    The Platsa Blue must be a joy to swing a leg over, sir. Sharp on the trail. Good on ya.

Dive Bomber
    For me a steel frame coated with titanium like finish is enough.

That blue pasta Kona is great. I wish I have Kona.

mtbr member
    nice. will you leave as is or do some decals etc? i'm expecting to pay about 200 for the powder job. am i in the ballpark?

Depends on the powder, how many coats, and if you want it cleared, candied, etc. I just got my SS frame done for $75. 1 coat (second coat would have been 50% of first coat) of a copper vein...looks amazing too and a very very durable finish. If you're anywhere near Ohio I greatly recommend Spitfire Custom Coaters.

Here is a pic of the finished product

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thought I would share the blog I just started to chronicle the project!

www.onecogblog.blogspot.com

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

House Painter 25 yrs.

Do you really want powdercoat? I never have had to paint my bikes but seems powdercoating on my Jeep parts only lasts 7 or 8 years. It is also thick. Would car paint work better or is it too expensive? I like the fork same as frame like new Trek gold. My forks are all contrast ( Fox White ha ha ha ).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think powdercoat will be fine. it's economical and a lot of the higher end frames are powdercoated as well. i have a local shop here in houston that is well experienced in the craft. i can get the job done for about 185 including removal of current paint. agree on the fork...paint it same as frame. that's the way to go. btw...650B wheel and hub dropped off at LBS today for build.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have a vote for brown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    hoolie's now gots me lookin into painting vs. powder coating. hemmm and hawwwwwwww

mtbr member
    hoolie's now gots me lookin into painting vs. powder coating. hemmm and hawwwwwwww
    PowderCoat all the way. Stronger, less expensive, more options (as far a texture and coating etc), better for the environment, and overall easier to get done and quicker to finish. Powdercoat really isn't any thicker than paint and clear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    right on yeti man!

mtbr member

Superior to Paint or Powder

Ceramic has superior properties over paint or powder. It won't chip, fade, crack, or peel and far surpasses the others in durability. All this and it only adds a few grams to your frame.

mtbr member
    needs more toothpaste

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There was an Orange metal flake Ventana SS in Mountain Bike Action last July. Absolutly beautiful, that would be my choice.
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Colorshifting paint

If you can't decide which color to use, you could use color shifting paint like the gangstas here in Oakland. I just hope not to see you at a side show peeling out and doing doughnuts on your singlespeed at 3 a.m. You would need strong legs for that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    project update....frame mods underway!

next up will be the releasing of the color choice...stay tuned!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Here is my green powdercoat. I didn't pick it, it was already freshly done when I bought it used but I like it!

Paint Color - hmmmm-sir2-003.jpg

Paint Color - hmmmm-sir2-004.jpg

Paint Color - hmmmm-sir2-005.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nice ride! I have my eye on a darker / leaf or grass green powder. should be ready for the booth next week.
    www.onecogblog.com

mtbr member
    Black, with splotches of mud here and there....
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

pain is good
    bubblegum pink, like a old .p.u.s.s.. with that black fork,oh yeah.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Brought the bike in to the powder coat shop today. Going with a metallic green. Bring it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Color - hmmmm-powder-coat-green-metallic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

powdered up

picked up the fork and frame today. really impressed with the work and the color has some nice pop to it! www.onecogblog.blogspot.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Color - hmmmm-capture.jpg  

Paint Color - hmmmm-p1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice indeed ! - looking lovely

WNC Native
    What was the actual paint color name? As I'm also going with a similar shade of Green Metallic on my new frame.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Metallic paint Rocks !!!

mtbr member
    I really like that color. Yea, I have to agree, metallic paint does rock.

mtbr member
    I think those stickers will look good on the frame, the orange against the green.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I'll second the request for an RAL number on that. Love the color.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

openwound
    That's purdy. I had a voodoo road bike that color. Very nice in the sun.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't have the name of the color - but I'll get it and post it here. It really looks awesome! The frame builder did a great job with the Paul Comp horizontal drop outs and other cosmetic finishes. My next question for the board...my kona decals have not come in from the UK yet...but I really want to get my LBS going on the build. Should I wait for the decals, or get it built and put the decals on after?? Anyone with experience putting decals on bikes and tips??? Thanks!

openwound
    Shouldn't be a issue to put them on after the bike is built. It looks as if your brake line runs along the top tube so there shouldn't be anything to get in the way of putting downtube stickers in place. Besides the large down tube sticker, what others are coming with your set?

I'm no pro but I just did the stickers on my road bike. While it may be just terminology, I think of decals as having paper on both sides of the graphic. A decal requires being placed and then rubbed on its surface to "release" the graphic from the facing material. If it's just a sticker, it'll just have a backing. Mine were decals and the backing was not split so I had to remove it all at one, whereas on many stickers the backing will be split.

If it's split, remove only half of the backing, align the decal without touching it to the surface, then carefully allow the center of the sticker to make contact with the surface. Work slowly as you'll be wrapping the sticker onto the curved surface and (obviously) don't want to get bubbles in them. Work from the center towards the edges. If it's a decal and has a paper face on it, this is where you'll use your sharpie to rub the on that paper surface to work the decal into place and separate it from the facing material.

As for placement, google your bike brand and find an image to use for reference.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I don't have the name of the color - but I'll get it and post it here. It really looks awesome! The frame builder did a great job with the Paul Comp horizontal drop outs and other cosmetic finishes. My next question for the board...my kona decals have not come in from the UK yet...but I really want to get my LBS going on the build. Should I wait for the decals, or get it built and put the decals on after?? Anyone with experience putting decals on bikes and tips??? Thanks!

If you are planning on putting the decal/stickers on and leaving them on the surface, then you should be able to do it after it is built with minimal difficulties. HOWEVER surface mount decals are not protected so they will fade sooner, and generally look rattier than if they were protected with clear-coat. You can always take them off and put something new on though.
    If you were planning on putting a clear-coat over the decals then you obviously need to do that before you do any building, as it will need to go back to the painter.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    Ceramic has superior properties over paint or powder. It won't chip, fade, crack, or peel and far surpasses the others in durability. All this and it only adds a few grams to your frame.

You can Ceramic coat an entire frame? What's the cost associated with that compared to paint/powder?

To the OP,

Your Kona is looking SWEET!! Good job on your project sir!!
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here's the final build!! It is awesome. Did a 9 mile ride this afternoon and it handles like a dream. I hope I don't wake up if it is! The ride is the reward for all the patience, planning, driving the frame around to get modified with the horizontal drops, to the powder coater to the bike shop for the final build. I think I'll keep it stealthy green with no Kona stickers...it's heart is a Kona...but the custom build was my project! www.onecogblog.blogspot.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Color - hmmmm-ss5.jpg  

Paint Color - hmmmm-ss6.jpg  

Last edited by Mike A.; 02-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    [QUOTE=sasquatch rides a SS]Depends on the powder, how many coats, and if you want it cleared, candied, etc. I just got my SS frame done for $75. 1 coat (second coat would have been 50% of first coat) of a copper vein...looks amazing too and a very very durable finish. If you're anywhere near Ohio I greatly recommend Spitfire Custom Coaters.

Just went to Spitfire website. It says they're closed for business. You must be in the Dayton area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367
    Just went to Spitfire website. It says they're closed for business. You must be in the Dayton area?
    I'm between Dayton and Cincy. Spitfire is moving from Batavia/Amelia to the Loveland area and should be back up and running mid-February.

Members who have read this thread: 0