Paging fixie MTB'ers: rear brake?- Mtbr.com
    34N 118W

Paging fixie MTB'ers: rear brake?

In continuing my spiraling decline into "That's Not Possible On a Bike-Land", I'm now eyeballing my old former-SS Klein Attitude as a candidate for fixie. You know, just to try it out maybe once or twice

Do you guys run a rear brake? I don't use one on the road, not sure about mtn. Got V's on both ends, wondering if front-only is sufficient.

What does it all mean?! Why me?! Why now?! Somebody pull me out of this godforesaken quickSSand before I end up going to Whistler with a freakin unicycle or some sh*t.

punch me now,
    HW

Cracker-magnon
    cmon, you don't need no rear brake road or not. Dats what your legs is for. I dare ya to try it saturday.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why?

You've already got one brake built into your legs!

Seriously, go without...it makes the experience that much better and speeds up the death process....but at least you'll have lived life.
    Last edited by Pinky Pilot; 11-17-2004 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I flunked the punctuation section in grade school.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I only run one brake (front of course) on my SS commuter*. If it's gonna be a fixed rear, that's another brake right there!

-Hong

*your results may vary, my bike doesn't see any dirt.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Nah, no rear brake necessary on off-road fixie. It's definitely fun and a harder workout than freewheelin'. However, it's tricky when the going gets rougher. Get ready for bashed toes!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

34N 118W

fixie quiver

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Racing
    I only run one brake (front of course) on my SS commuter*. If it's gonna be a fixed rear, that's another brake right there!

-Hong

*your results may vary, my bike doesn't see any dirt.
    I have two fixed gear road bikes; one soon to be brakeless. (*gasp!*). I'm just new to the concept on dirt. I've been to the 63xc.com site too, soaking up info like a dirty sponge.

hispanic mechanic

Mwah ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    In continuing my spiraling decline into "That's Not Possible On a Bike-Land", I'm now eyeballing my old former-SS Klein Attitude as a candidate for fixie. You know, just to try it out maybe once or twice

Do you guys run a rear brake? I don't use one on the road, not sure about mtn. Got V's on both ends, wondering if front-only is sufficient.

What does it all mean?! Why me?! Why now?! Somebody pull me out of this godforesaken quickSSand before I end up going to Whistler with a freakin unicycle or some sh*t.

punch me now,
    HW

My evil plan of converting people over to fixies is working...
    Oh. Sorry. Should've kept that to myself.
    Anyway, back to your query- no, a rear brake is, in my opinion, unnecessary and awkward.
    And, of course, remember that you, and anyone else who wants to ride a fixed gear bike off road, is an idiot. Right, Padre? Might as well take the tire off of that North Shore unicycle...

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

surlysoul

No rear brake

You got all the brake you need rear is fixed front v have fun.

mtbr member
    man, i'd go with a super stout 48 hole back wheel(tandem?) and also consider a suspension seatpost.

unless you are jedi and can bunnyhop a fixe on demand you are going to have to roll through/over/into a lot of stuff that you would just jump over on a freewheel.

oh yeah, no rear brake

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

suspension seatpost

Quote Originally Posted by munthu
    man, i'd go with a super stout 48 hole back wheel(tandem?) and also consider a suspension seatpost.

unless you are jedi and can bunnyhop a fixe on demand you are going to have to roll through/over/into a lot of stuff that you would just jump over on a freewheel.

oh yeah, no rear brake
    I have a USE shock post on my offroad fixer. Makes more sense to have one on a fixer than a bike on which you can level the pedals and rise off the seat on rough stuff.
    I also have two Grafton cantis on my offroad fixer. Partly because I also have a SS rear wheel for it I sometimes use. And partly because leg braking is horribly harsh on the knees, maybe not right away, but over time. But I could get the job done with just a front brake if I had to. But then those naked unused top tube cable guide and the pair of bare unused rear canti studs would bother me. I'm man enough to handle the additional weight of the rear Grafton brake and lever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

front only

I'm running a disc in the front, maybe overkill but I dig it. Controlling speed with your legs is the best part of fixie riding. For me, it's more intuitive to control everything with legs. I hardly ever even use my front brake, only on big hills.
    -d

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... No rear brake needed

But a good front brake will save your neck, 'specially on technical d/h. Disc is preferred!
    Matter of fact, I think a rear brake will mess ya up, ya gotta flow with the trail on a fixie, the front brake is just to help when mechanical advantage is to the bike, not your legs.

MTB fixie isn't something to fool around with, its completely different than Road fixie. Look to gear about 2 teeth harder on the cog or 4 teeth harder on the ring than your usual SS gear.

Because of the higher gear and using your legs (braced by your arms) your upper body will get an even bigger workout than just SS. You may want to lower your seat just a touch too. Seatpost suspension helps loads too, tho not for hitting obstacles with the pedals. You soon learn to do almost anything no matter where the pedals are or what they strike!

Have fun!

bike ON
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    no rear brake nec. the front brake is realy only there in case you toss your chain or your week like me and cant slow the bike down enough on the steeps with just the cranks.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    And, of course, remember that you, and anyone else who wants to ride a fixed gear bike off road, is an idiot. Right, Padre? Might as well take the tire off of that North Shore unicycle...
    the los
    Hey now!
    I never used those words....
    But yes, removing the wheel would make it significantly harder and therefore, worthy.

"Mr. Britannica"

punch me now,
    HW

Just skip it and get the unicycle... you know you're gonna get there sooner or later.

King Pin

Smile

Per Rudi's recommendation to me, my fixie Surly has no rear brake.

Rear brake on an offroad fixie really WILL mess ya all up, as locking the rear brake will send you into all sorts of uncontrollable shtick. I tried it even after his advice not to, almost hurt meself several times on that ride.

NO REAR BRAKE on a fixie!

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    I guess that I must be a serious wuss. I do have a rear brake on my mtn fixie. It doesn't get used very often, but sometimes it is nice to have. I have a ENO flip-flop that has been ridden free-wheel style. I am becoming addicted to fixed though. If I were building up a dedicated fixed, it would have a front disc and no rear brake.

mtbr member

Rear brake only

I know i'm in the minority, but i have a rear brake on my fixie and no front brake. i run it this way on and off road. started riding this way because i use my pace (disc only) fork but with a disc-less front wheel. i kind of like the feel of the brake on the back; going fixed, i don't need much stopping power.

zeebot
    I wish I would stop reading your posts, Hollywood. Besides the 29er issue on the side, I've been mulling over the idea of getting a cheap wheel built up with a surly hub and turning the Vicious into a part-time fixie for trails I deem fit for such insanity. I'm sure I'll become addicted and never use the freewheel again....

34N 118W

... and if we just ... forecast

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I wish I would stop reading your posts, Hollywood. ..
    as RGB said, let's just skip the chit chat and get right to the unicycles. We've been on two wheels long enough dammit - One F*cking Wheel!

can't wait til I pass my first singlespeeder on one...sucka. "Nice chain, bro!" chuckle

HW

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Depends on what your going to be riding.
    I've only been doing it for 3 weeks but the UK winter is already sloppy.
    Doing some pretty steep muddy trails can get interesting as your front tyre eventually lets go and having a back would have helped control the one legged sliding down the hill peddaling panic but I'm not doing this because it's be easy. Besides my frame won't take v brakes so I'm sticking with a big disc up front and will learn more control with my legs.
    Oh that and putting my new panaracer spike up front to hold those muddy downs better.

And fixy offroad - the most fun I've had on a bike for a long time.

mtbr member

front disc brake only

I run a front disc only (rigid) on my fixie. You can lock up the rear wheels and skid with just your legs, especially off road where I tend to run a lower ratio.

Have fun - it's a blast... after the learning curve, that is...

Cheers,

Tom

PS: I haven't learned to ride my uni-cycle yet, THAT learning curve is steeper!

Fisher test pilot

Fyulaba

Fixed offroad is great with any type of setup, it depends on the ability of the rider. I raced my ss mtb with a fixed wheel in a race and kept the rear b. on without any probs. On my dedicated fixies I go brakeless on and off road.

"Mr. Britannica"
    One F*cking Wheel!
    LOL!5

mtbr member
    front brake only,i prefer center pulls ,have this set up on my 1x1,cross bike ,and road.
    just go with the flow &time those pedals.

Who turned out the lights
    Don't feel like a puss if you feel the need/desire to run a rear brake during your learning curve. Just open it up a bit more than normal, so that you have to pull the lever further - it will remind you not to use it. I kept one on my bike b/c I used a fixed/free setup and needed the brake for the freewheelin'.

Sometimes, on really steep, tight downhills, I would use the rear to help initiate a skid into a turn when I didn't feel comfortable shifting my body weight far enough forward to unweight in and skid-brake.

My new 29 is disc only, so it will be front brake only. You'll find that you have more control in a lot of technical sections than you did freewheelin'. Have fun, and let the beatings begin....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fixed cyclecross here, no brakes. Hope you know your trails well...

mtbr member
    Hahaha, lot`s of funny shiat in this thread. =)

34N 118W

fixing my knees

I know that people new to SS make comments like "isn't that bad for your knees?" and most of us, me incl., have never had knee pain to affirm that concern.

But is riding fixie offroad any different? Any long-time fixie riders here?

a guy at my LBS basically said "don't do it", re: potential knee injury

am I going to be in a wheelchair 10 yrs from now with drunkcyclist and CarsRcoffins stickers on it? Crap. It's only 9 and I need a beer. Which leads me to:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...527#post510527

King Pin

... and if we just ...

HW,

Fixie offroad was a little rough on my knees at first.

I've ridden SS offroad exclusively for 3 years now, with not a whimper of knee pain.

I did try to go whole hog when I first went fixie, which was the wrong approach for me. Realized I needed to take it a little easier and work up to fixie, as one would tend to run a bit tougher gear on the fixie to avoid "spinning out".

Just ride a bit more gently at first, and I'd imagine your joints will be just fine!

I know that people new to SS make comments like "isn't that bad for your knees?" and most of us, me incl., have never had knee pain to affirm that concern.

But is riding fixie offroad any different? Any long-time fixie riders here?

a guy at my LBS basically said "don't do it", re: potential knee injury

am I going to be in a wheelchair 10 yrs from now with drunkcyclist and CarsRcoffins stickers on it? Crap. It's only 9 and I need a beer. Which leads me to:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...527#post510527

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

dude....

Quote Originally Posted by sauce
    Fixed cyclecross here, no brakes. Hope you know your trails well...
    dude...sauce, you must be a damn good rider!!!

Francis...that's a good tip with the rear brake.

i am working on a fixed/ss cx bike, bike #2. i'll run a freewheel while i get used to the set up. play fixie on the road...which makes me damn nervous!!!

cheers!