Paging Fast Freddy- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

New question here. Paging Fast Freddy

Hey FF, this is Brandon, I have a Spicer Ti like yours and I have a persistant problem that will not go away. I get creaking out of the head tube area. I have a Chris King headset, Fox Float RL forks, Thompson Elite Stem and an Easton Monkey Lite Aluminum bar. The problem occurs when I hit a bump or rock and there is a force being put on the front end from riding. Also i get a creak when i stand up and pull hard on the bars.

I have pressed the headset in over and over again, it goes it tight. Do you have this problem? I think it is either the headset (most likely) or the fork. I was wondering if i got a headset that presses in further would resolve the problem.

Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Brandon

The Top Cap Guy
    Mine had a creak somewhere up there too on my first assembly... I am running the King H/S, and a Ti rigid fork... I took everything apart and greased the headset cups with Ti antiseeze (why does that look misspelled?) and coated the steerer tube also. I actually think mine was from the stem (Ritchey WCS) clamped on to the steerer. But mine creak is gone - and it was only when I was really pulling on the bars - mine never did it when I hit a bump.... So clean all those parts and generously lube them all and wipe off all the extra and see if that helps....

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Pivoteer

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Mine had a creak somewhere up there too on my first assembly... I am running the King H/S, and a Ti rigid fork... I took everything apart and greased the headset cups with Ti antiseeze (why does that look misspelled?) and coated the steerer tube also. I actually think mine was from the stem (Ritchey WCS) clamped on to the steerer. But mine creak is gone - and it was only when I was really pulling on the bars - mine never did it when I hit a bump.... So clean all those parts and generously lube them all and wipe off all the extra and see if that helps....

FF
    THANKS

mtbr member

Probably not what you want to hear, but...

it could be a crack in the frame. Why do I say this you ask? It happened to me.
    Here's my experience:
    I have one of the earlier Spicer Ti ebb frames made. I installed a CK headset (greased before installation) and used a Kona P2 fork for a while without any issues. Later, I purchased a Ti fork and that's when the creaking began. I thought it was coming from the front end and I tried everything to make it go away (cleaning, greasing, tightening), but to no avail. I put blame on the fork and returned it because I thought it was going to snap and kill me. I purchased a Kelly steel fork and the noise subsided a little, but not entirely (maybe because the steel fork flexed less??). I thought then, my problem must be the seat post. I was close...the top tube/seat tube weld was cracked.

This post is no dig on Gene at Spicer. He took care of me and had my frame fixed ASAP. He also absorbed the cost to have the top tube cable guides moved. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Gene and would not hesitate to buy another frame from him.

The suspected cause of failure was that the seat tube was too high above the top tube. The seat tube insert was not clearing the bottom of the top tube and this caused the stress that eventually led to cracked weld. My seat tube was cut down about an inch to resolve the problem.

This may not be what is happening to you, but it sounds like you are going down the same road as I did. It took 8 months for my frame to break. Keep your eye on that weld.

Good luck,
    Keith