Paging Ernesto: HBFKs in the news- Mtbr.com
    Portable curmudgeon

Paging Ernesto: HBFKs in the news

The Tucson City Council is considering a city-wide ban on gas-powered scooters, which I happen to view as big of a bike-lane scourge as broken glass and goatheads. The Arizona Daily Star has an article on the subject, which includes a quote from one "Matt" who "...said he mostly uses the scooter for trips that are too far for his bike… 'I could use my bike, but it would be a lot harder. Besides, I spent a lot of money on it'"

Is it safe to infer we have a HBFK sound bite here? And what about all of us singlespeed riders who "spent a lot of money" on a bike that makes riding "a lot harder"? I better check the FAQs.

Account Retired

Birth

Ernesto just emailed me and he and his wife Sarah are at the hospital to give birth to their first child. So while you're out riding today.....say a little prayer for Ernesto and Sarah.......rope some gnomes while your at it.......

Portable curmudgeon

Can't fight fate

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    ...rope some gnomes while your at it...
    I have long aspired to elevate my dislike of gnomes to the level of hate (or is it fear?) I have of clowns, but I just can't seem to find it in me. I even enjoyed the gnome subplots in Amelie and, to a lesser extent, The Full Monty. Now I know why.

I recently got around to Googling up the cartoon name "Oblio", which my sister's first husband used to call me when I was very young. I found out Oblio was the round-headed kid who lived in "The Point", a land where everyone else had pointy heads. His mother made him a pointy cap, a gnome hat if I ever saw one, to wear so he would fit in. The fateful childhood/formative-years tie-in is just too obvious - I must secretly long to be a gnome. I suspect helmet choices would be somewhat limited.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBound
    I have long aspired to elevate my dislike of gnomes to the level of hate (or is it fear?) I have of clowns, but I just can't seem to find it in me. I even enjoyed the gnome subplots in Amelie and, to a lesser extent, The Full Monty. Now I know why.

I recently got around to Googling up the cartoon name "Oblio", which my sister's first husband used to call me when I was very young. I found out Oblio was the round-headed kid who lived in "The Point", a land where everyone else had pointy heads. His mother made him a pointy cap, a gnome hat if I ever saw one, to wear so he would fit in. The fateful childhood/formative-years tie-in is just too obvious - I must secretly long to be a gnome. I suspect helmet choices would be somewhat limited.

lol! that's pretty funny AZBoun...I mean Oblio. New screen name in the making is what Im hearing, whatdayathink? Strangely enough, I took my kids to Panera after church for bagels lat week and we have to walk past one of those gift stores. You know, with all the nic nacs and stuff. Anyway, my 6 year old starts getting all excited and points to the window telling daddy to check out the gnome! At leasat they have learned early, huh??

Good luck on that helmet search. Maybe you could just turn one of Lance's time trial helmets around and wear it backwards or something.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Portable curmudgeon

Aerodynamic advantage

I'm going to fit a chinstrap to a safety cone, get a longer, lower stem, flat bars, and crouch my way into an 0.42 second per mile savings on those time-trialish flat courses. Of course, all advantages could be negated by the turbulence created by my beer (keg) belly.

Oblio is apparently Italian for "oblivion". Italy has the cycling legends, Campagnolo, and the tifosi are the most rabid of race fans, but oblivion just doesn't make for a good screen name. And I did say it was my sister's first husband that called me that. It wouldn't be fair to her current husband to proliferate its use.

But it is funny you mentioned it, because I've been toying with getting a new screen name. I was formerly bound for Arizona, but then I actually moved here. I tried saying I was now bound to Arizona, but bound to sounds a lot like stuck in. That's just not the right way to refer to the fact that I'm living in my own personal paradise in Tucson. I'm thinking HBFA (hard-breathing fat adult), or something that retains the regional hook for when I hit up the Arizona forum. On the other hand, once a nickname has been given... we'll see.

Dang, it looks like I may have just stolen my own thread. I must like to hear the sound of my own typing.

Bike down.

Members who have read this thread: 0