Pace rc31 fork and v-brake clamps? Mechanic told me not to do it???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Pace rc31 fork and v-brake clamps? Mechanic told me not to do it???

I recently installed a pace rc31 ti on my bike and my mechanic told me not to put the pace v-brake clamps on the fork because I would make the fork flex when braking and he also told me that carbon doesn't like clamped stuff to it.

I would get a new wheelset, but I have a nice black phil wood non-disc hub with mavic x3.1rims and I dont want to get rid of it.

Has anybody had any problems with the vbrake clamps from pace? Do you guys think it will mess up the fork?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Is you mechanic aware of any of the following:
    1. Pace make clamps specifically for the Pace forks.
    2. On the package, Pace lists the torque that the clamp and the fork will like. (22 in/lbs.)
    3. The fork is designed to flex, and will do so under braking forces no matter what kind of brakes you use.

I've never had problems with the clamps. Per Pace, you can also mount them such that you can use a 29er wheel with the 26" versions of the fork, should you want to do so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I told him all that but he insisted not to do it. I appreciate your input. I will most likely put them on. Anymore input is appreciated.

Once again thanks PeanutButterBreath

My Ass is My Pilot
    Yeah I just put a set on Jefe's bike like 20 minute's ago and they work just fine.If your Mech does not want to read the destuctions then get another mech!
    Living the life in Central Or
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

used to be uno-speedo....
    Your mechanics advise (no offense to those mechanics/wrenchs/technicians out there) against an engineers (Hope) design, hmmm. Lemme fink about dat one

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I used a 26inch pace RC31 for 1 and a half years with the V brake clamps. Not a single problem, and the brakes were as stiff as hell!!!

Use them!!

Poorly Disguised Poser

Yeah, I have to agree

with what uno-speedo was getting at.

Pace presumably has spent a fair deal of money, time, and effort (engineers effort) to come up with a design and some bike wrench knows better? Sorry but most wrenches that I know have a lot of real world experience, but when it comes to design and materials...I will trust Pace. Pace also says not to clamp the fork in a bike rack BTW.

Anyway, I trust they (Pace) know what they are doing and know the limitations of their products (i.e. no clamp style bike racks for transport). Who in the heck is your mechanic to say what should and should not be done?

If this guy is some genius that truely does know all....fine, but most LBS mechs that I have seen and dealt with expressed their opinion about things, but ultimately they left it to my choice (as long as it was in keeping with manufacturers recs). Some guys are not confident in their abilities to align clamp style brake bosses and dont like the headaches...I can respect a guy that knows his/her limitations and moreso when they voice them to me.

My advice...if you really want these things, find a mech that can do it and go for it, or get your hands dirty and DIY....just carefully follow instructions.

Personally, I like the clean looks and performance of rotors...but what I like is not really all that important.

my 20 cents (too long to be only 2)
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Put them on then go thumb your nose at the guy while doing a one-handed nose wheelie.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    so why are there so many carbon handlebars on the market? ...... don't brake levers clamp onto them? .......... Mechanic....... Twonk more like it.

"Mr. Britannica"
    yeah, being that the setup has been out for a number of years, if it was no good there would lots of failures and they wouldn't still be selling the mounts

Look at the time!
    afaik the Steel (/Ti) tubes inside the fork are long enough to support the clamping area for the brake bosses.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Members who have read this thread: 0