Pace RC31 (again)- Mtbr.com
    "Mr. Britannica"

Pace RC31 (again)

Has anyone ridden both the Pace carbon and a high-end steel fork? Please share your experiences and comparisons. I am currently on a rigid steel IF (with a ti frame), but still have the Pace on my mind...

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Has anyone ridden both the Pace carbon and a high-end steel fork? Please share your experiences and comparisons. I am currently on a rigid steel IF (with a ti frame), but still have the Pace on my mind...

I have had a steel Vicious, Kelly, Walt and a ti Spicer. The Pace is the best I have ridden to date, get one you will love it. It is light but sturdy, strong yet compliant, it is a perfect blend of performance and dampening.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1
    I have had a steel Vicious, Kelly, Walt and a ti Spicer. The Pace is the best I have ridden to date, get one you will love it. It is light but sturdy, strong yet compliant, it is a perfect blend of performance and dampening.
    After putting some time in on the Black Sheep, I'd love to hear your impression, esp. compared to the other forks. I have never owned a Vicious, Pace, or ti Spicer, but I have owned a couple of others. I am using the Black Sheep unicrown on my bike now, and it's the most comfortable rigid fork I've ever owned. I'll do a writeup of my experience sometime.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Hey there, I know two guys that use or have used a pace rigid. A comparison with high end steel, would be difficult since we don't have that over here. I'll ask the guys if they would like to post the expierence with the pace though (although you can expect rave reviews).

Quite of few dutch xc-racers use a pace in competition overhere, and I haven't heard of any major issues. We also sold quite a few over the years, and they're seriously nice pieces of craftmanship.

Were you going for the regular or new Ti version? The last one is even lighter, same strenght and more comfy then the regular one.

cheers
    Richard.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    After putting some time in on the Black Sheep, I'd love to hear your impression, esp. compared to the other forks. I have never owned a Vicious, Pace, or ti Spicer, but I have owned a couple of others. I am using the Black Sheep unicrown on my bike now, and it's the most comfortable rigid fork I've ever owned. I'll do a writeup of my experience sometime.
    I will do a write up after I spend some time on it. Although, I actually have to get in in my hands first. My credit card has been charged for the second half, which should imply that my bike is finished.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

Frequent Crasher
    You can't believe how light these forks are. i think my front hub weighs more than this fork. The only drawback is the weight restriction of 215 pounds. If you want one to replace an 80mm Sus corrected fork, see my sig.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Setzer
    Were you going for the regular or new Ti version? The last one is even lighter, same strenght and more comfy then the regular one.

cheers
    Richard.
    Where do I find info on the Ti version? And where can I buy it online?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Where do I find info on the Ti version? And where can I buy it online?
    Sorry should be more specific when i mentioned Ti. In the regular version underneath the carbon fibre legs there are steel insert, for bonding the steerer to the carbon an for increased rigidty.

They recently made a version the has Ti inserts. They are longer, increases the stifness but are lower in weight.

Sorry if i made the impression that a full Ti pace was released. They did once make a "cheaper" steel version of the rc31.

pics of the Ti enhanced rc31 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10031994@N00/40398859/

R.

mtbr member

Off topic, but I have an 06 Pace RC31 for sale...

Sorry for the "for sale" spam, but I wouldn't be able to rest at night knowing that I hadn't informed the singlespeeding masses of the sale of such a popular rigid fork. 7 1/2 inches of steer tube left. Check it out in the classifieds, in the frameset section, titled: Kona Frame & 06 Pace RC31 Carbon Fork. Thanks.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdad
    Sorry for the "for sale" spam, but I wouldn't be able to rest at night knowing that I hadn't informed the singlespeeding masses of the sale of such a popular rigid fork. 7 1/2 inches of steer tube left. Check it out in the classifieds, in the frameset section, titled: Kona Frame & 06 Pace RC31 Carbon Fork. Thanks.

also now available via QBP...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    does anyone know of clearance issues with the rotor bolts on chris king iso disc hubs and the fork legs of the rc31?
    thanks

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by jswingnut
    does anyone know of clearance issues with the rotor bolts on chris king iso disc hubs and the fork legs of the rc31?
    thanks
    On my Pace RC29, the rotor bolts clipped the end of the fork leg. A quick swipe of a grinder to the edge of the bolts confirmed that I could get them to clear, (they were large cap head type bolts) and a trip to the hardware store for some button head bolts fixed the problem right.

HIYAH

And you buy them...

where? Is there a good online source of these forks for US folks? Would love to have one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    where? Is there a good online source of these forks for US folks? Would love to have one.
    Speedgoat and Webcyclery have them on their websites.
    Sir Dabs-alot

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Speedgoat and Webcyclery have them on their websites.
    And probably every LBS in the country since QBP is the distributor of Pace in the US.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Members who have read this thread: 0