P2 wants to be a SS...Help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

P2 wants to be a SS...Help!

Hey everyone, 1st post on the boards. I've been cruzing this forum for quite sometime now and need your opinions. I have a Spec. P2, stock and want to go SS. What would or should I do inorder to make it more trail ready as opposed to urban/dirtjump. Its pretty heavy and would like to lighten it up along with the most important SS. I don't really have the funds to build up a new bike (want a SC Chameleon) but really want a SS to ride the trails out here. Build up SS wheelset, longer stem, wider bars, new fork (thinking about the Marz MX Comp), buy frame and throw on old parts. Help guys/gals, I have the itch and it won't go away.

34N 118W

welcome!

first of all, welcome to our nightmare :~O

second: sell your frame for top dolla. (IMO)

If you want to start riding XC, ditch the dirt jumper and look for a used steel frame. Ebay, MTBR's classifieds and cool shop dudes should be able to help you build up a decent SSer por el cheapo. The Chameleon can wait, put in some miles first and see if ya even like it. Convert your existing rear hub, use all your other parts and run 'er!

And read the FAQ if ya haven't. Good things.

we'll be waiting for pics.
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by Deez
    Hey everyone, 1st post on the boards. I've been cruzing this forum for quite sometime now and need your opinions. I have a Spec. P2, stock and want to go SS. What would or should I do inorder to make it more trail ready as opposed to urban/dirtjump. Its pretty heavy and would like to lighten it up along with the most important SS. I don't really have the funds to build up a new bike (want a SC Chameleon) but really want a SS to ride the trails out here. Build up SS wheelset, longer stem, wider bars, new fork (thinking about the Marz MX Comp), buy frame and throw on old parts. Help guys/gals, I have the itch and it won't go away.

Master of the Obvious

hey welcome to SS

hey glad to have you looking a the world of SS. I just bought a surly Karate Monkey so I am selling my 2003 KHS Solo-One.This bike is a solid starting platform for SS. feel free to PM for details.

Steamroller
    Welcome Deez! I saw the other post about the solo-one, I have one and it would be a good start if the price is right. I have the MX Pro fork on mine and it is a sweet ride. My '04 in a large size is about 25.5-26 lbs as built by KHS but with the Marzocchi fork. It is 5 lbs lighter than my geared double boinger, but I would not call it svelte. Good luck post a picture when you get something put together. I ride in your area some, but live 45 minutes north. If you want to test ride my solo-one, or try our local north OC loop sometime send a PM.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

USB Rep'n
    better yet, sell the P2 and use the funds to get an Azonic Steelhead. Its still a bit heavy but has horizontals and a derailer hanger so you can use it to SS, dj/urban, and even on rides that might require gears (although I don't know of any such rides). The frames are really inexpensive and well built. Another similar option is to check ebay fr the fetish cycles hardtail. There are a bunch on auction for around $150 (I think). Same setup as the azonic.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Derailleurs owned: 0
    If the seatpost tube is long enough for you, build the P.2!
    you've got horizontal dropouts...

My P.1 frame weighs 5 lbs 0 oz... about same as many steel frames

I'm building mine with a Surly Instigator rigid fork, king-size BMX!

(P.1, P.2, P.3 all use the same frame)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks everyone who posted or even looked at the thread. I have been riding my P2 in one gear for awhile now (don't shift) just to try things out and find the gearing I would want to stick with. The bike does great for the most part, but climbing is a bit tuff sometimes. The bike is pretty heavy and I'm wondering if it could be my riding position as well. Longer stem, widerbars...for climbing...lighter wheels to decrease rotational mass (might feel faster and lighter). I'm hooked as it is, I just wanted to make what I have more XC/trail rater that upright DJ/urban without spending the Big $$. But single speed is where I want to go, I've known that for a while now. Thanks again everyone!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Cool-blue Rhythm just get one then!

(want a SC Chameleon)
    i just got my o4 chameleon. i haven't ridden it yet because i need a new fork with a longer steerer, but it is sooo pretty!

i think you should get one!

KRN
    mtbr member

Tyr the redline!

Maybe... this is the wrong place but I have a Redline SS & I love it if you cant afford alot the whole bike is $419 thats with a rigid fork I pit a Manitou sx fokr on mine the frame allows you up to 3 Inches of travel which after that the handling changes the I'm not sure what the frame cost right off hand but for 04 it had tabs for disc brakes steel frame the bike is very very 80's looking makes me feel like a kid again the bike it very beautiful though!!!! just a thought good luck with your choice!

KRN
    mtbr member

Try the redline!

Maybe... this is the wrong place but I have a Redline SS & I love it if you cant afford alot the whole bike is $419 thats with a rigid fork I pit a Manitou sx fokr on mine the frame allows you up to 3 Inches of travel which after that the handling changes the I'm not sure what the frame cost right off hand but for 04 it had tabs for disc brakes steel frame the bike is very very 80's looking makes me feel like a kid again the bike it very beautiful though!!!! just a thought good luck with your choice!