Ow...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ow...

mtbr member

Ow...

Holy crap! This SS stuff F'ng HURTS!!!

I went for my first SS ride today. I had never ridden a SS before in my life. I finished building it on Saturday. Rode a few circles around on my drive way, then I loaded it up in my car on Sunday and drove to a trail for my first SS ride.

Oh? Did I mention that it this "first ride" was a race? I was a little concerned about the bike holding up without testing it. I used a ENO hub, but I did not really know how to adjust the thing. I really wish I had time to ride the thing at least one day before racing on it.

There were about 8 other guys in the SS class. I figured I would do decent because I am normally a mid pack expert. And SSers are supposed to be all like a bunch of hippies that drink many beers before every ride. Arent they? Surely they cant be very fit.

I rocketed off the start line and dropped the entire group hard. I think the fact that I was running a 34:16 gearing might have something to do with that. I was very arrogant when I picked that gearing. As soon as we started hitting the climbs, I was humbled. HOLY CRAP! What was I thinking!?!?! And these guys were freaking fit! I slowly got dropped by one guy after another. As the race wore on, the Old Farts sport class guys started catching and passing me. My legs were so cooked. On my last lap, the experts were catching and lapping me. By that point I didnt care. It hurt so frickin' bad. Every climb felt like I was doing squats or leg presses in the gym. I was litterally screaming as I struggled to turn the cranks over one more time. I had never felt so much pain on a bike. I was dilerious from the pain and totally seeing stars.

It sucked.

However, I cant wait to keep doing it. I learned so much about my biking from the experience. From what I gathered, SSing (or at least on this course) is all about keeping your momentum up. I was really made aware of how much I was using the brakes when I didnt need to. Everytime there was a sharp turn, just before a steep climb, I would tap the brakes. I know now, that I had been doing this all along. Suddenly I was made very aware that I was doing it. I kept thinking to myself "DAMN IT! I DID IT AGAIN!", or "CRAP! I NEEDED THAT MOMENTUM!" Over and over I needlessly grabbed my brakes instead of drifting through the turns. On a geared bike I would never have noticed it. I would simply brake and then drop down a gear and then start up the climb.

I cant belive how inefficient of a rider I am.

Oh! And my bike held up. But there is a lot that I intend to change on it. I think a shorter steam and much wider tires will help me lay off the brakes. And the ENO hub is the action, jackson! I never dropped my chain once.

zeebot
    Try 34/18 instead. that is a much friendlier gear for trails that have hills. If you are doing long and steep extended climbs often i'd go even higher. i was quite happy in 34-21 during my pisgah trip. anything below and i wouldn't have been able to ride most the hills without major pain.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Experiment with some different gear ratio's for your area/terrain. Try a 17 or 18 tooth cog.

Probably drunk right now

Holy Cooked Legs, Batman....

Quote Originally Posted by The Berryman
    Holy crap! This SS stuff F'ng HURTS!!!

I went for my first SS ride today. I had never ridden a SS before in my life. I finished building it on Saturday. Rode a few circles around on my drive way, then I loaded it up in my car on Sunday and drove to a trail for my first SS ride.

Oh? Did I mention that it this "first ride" was a race? I was a little concerned about the bike holding up without testing it. I used a ENO hub, but I did not really know how to adjust the thing. I really wish I had time to ride the thing at least one day before racing on it.

There were about 8 other guys in the SS class. I figured I would do decent because I am normally a mid pack expert. And SSers are supposed to be all like a bunch of hippies that drink many beers before every ride. Arent they? Surely they cant be very fit.

I rocketed off the start line and dropped the entire group hard. I think the fact that I was running a 34:16 gearing might have something to do with that. I was very arrogant when I picked that gearing. As soon as we started hitting the climbs, I was humbled. HOLY CRAP! What was I thinking!?!?! And these guys were freaking fit! I slowly got dropped by one guy after another. As the race wore on, the Old Farts sport class guys started catching and passing me. My legs were so cooked. On my last lap, the experts were catching and lapping me. By that point I didnt care. It hurt so frickin' bad. Every climb felt like I was doing squats or leg presses in the gym. I was litterally screaming as I struggled to turn the cranks over one more time. I had never felt so much pain on a bike. I was dilerious from the pain and totally seeing stars.

It sucked.

However, I cant wait to keep doing it. I learned so much about my biking from the experience. From what I gathered, SSing (or at least on this course) is all about keeping your momentum up. I was really made aware of how much I was using the brakes when I didnt need to. Everytime there was a sharp turn, just before a steep climb, I would tap the brakes. I know now, that I had been doing this all along. Suddenly I was made very aware that I was doing it. I kept thinking to myself "DAMN IT! I DID IT AGAIN!", or "CRAP! I NEEDED THAT MOMENTUM!" Over and over I needlessly grabbed my brakes instead of drifting through the turns. On a geared bike I would never have noticed it. I would simply brake and then drop down a gear and then start up the climb.

I cant belive how inefficient of a rider I am.

Oh! And my bike held up. But there is a lot that I intend to change on it. I think a shorter steam and much wider tires will help me lay off the brakes. And the ENO hub is the action, jackson! I never dropped my chain once.
    Based on your location, I highly suggest dropping ot at least 2:1. Please don't use me as a comparison because unlike you (mid-pack in experts), I'm the slow, fat and out of shape beer drinker of which you spoke.

When I ride the Berryman, CBL or North Trace Creek, I will do so in a 34:18 or even a 24:20 depending upon exactly how fat and out of shape I am.

34:16 is a pretty steep gear, even for people in shape, on hills.

Ken