OVAL rings - unfair advantage in singlespeed? - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,226 of 1226
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

OVAL rings - unfair advantage in singlespeed?

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    rookie SS mistake: never waste time gutting a cassette to use a single cog as an SS cog. it never works well.
    Yeah that was actually a backup plan for my AB tooth missing Cog...I've look for steel cog after that but only found track Cog, got a 135 cassette body stock on the SSCX...now I know a good cassette SS Cog!

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    2016 Transition Patrol 3 (Satan's AM ride)
    2016 RSD Mayor (winter Fatbike)
    2016 RSD Mayor (29+, summer setup)
    2016 RSD Catalyst (700+, gravel & commuter)
    2013 Felt Breed (SSCX, winter commuter)
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis (DJ, bmx, pump track)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    been riding since 1984....and went through biopace nonsense.
    this is the real deal....this oval works...in spades.
    no need on my fs gear'd but on my ss bike it is heaps better climbing and allows for a bit larger front ring.
    nuff said....it works whether you like it or not....
    right now on a rsd sergeant mullet style....beeeyoutifull for killing the local overbiked crowd.

eri
    mtbr member
    Look at this thread! You all need some grump in your life.

I was sort of curious then was stuck using an ab chainring for 3 days of riding. Couldnt get used to it, it discombobulates my timing while standing. Couldnt believe the relief when i got a round chainring back on.

I understand the physics perfectly but find the variable pedal speed is jarring. It bugs my cadence just like biopace did in the 80s.

To me this all reads like a bunch of fanboyz.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    To me this all reads like a bunch of fanboyz.
    To me, all this reads like a bunch of people who tried something new and liked it. If it does not work for you, that's fine. Don't discount others' subjective experience because you're not having it too.

What size/type of oval ring did you buy? Someone here will certainly buy it from you.

mtbr member
    Are oval rings being made in 102 bcd yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty View Post
    Are oval rings being made in 102 bcd yet?
    102, as in old XTR?

https://www.garbaruk.com/102-bcd-oval.html

I could not find anything from OneUp, Wolf Tooth, or Absolute Black. looks like that BCD is pretty rare, so I would not expect a lot of options these days. It could not hurt to email the three I mentioned above to express your interest in such a thing. maybe they will be inspired to make some.

104 was so common for so long (and still around) that I would expect those to be around for a long time. the various direct mount systems and new Shimano asym ones will probably stick around longer. If you have old XTR cranks and really want to go oval, it's time to shop for new cranks.

mtbr member
    Yes, older modded and polished XTR cranks. Not sure I want to trust a Polish company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty View Post
    Yes, older modded and polished XTR cranks. Not sure I want to trust a Polish company.
    I might regret asking, but what's wrong with Polish? I guess that means Absolute Black is out, too?

eri
    mtbr member
    To me, all this reads like a bunch of people who tried something new and liked it. If it does not work for you, that's fine. Don't discount others' subjective experience because you're not having it too.

What size/type of oval ring did you buy? Someone here will certainly buy it from you.
    I dunno. This thread hype is absurd. Reads to me like the second coming. The maxxis dhf is actually a big deal and it doesnít have a thread like this.

Resell ring: i borrowed from friend after i broke my ring. Seriously was like having an itch i couldnt scratch and i never stopped feeling it. It just kept screwing with my kick. Was a relief to be back on a round ring.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Was a relief to be back on a round ring.
    you tried and it you didn't like it. good for you. seriously, you had an open mind to something new and it didn't pan out.

you know what else sounds like a lot of fanboyz on this forum to people who may or may not have tried it and didn't like it? riding a mountain bike with only one gear!

eri
    mtbr member
    you know what else sounds like a lot of fanboyz on this forum to people who may or may not have tried it and didn't like it? riding a mountain bike with only one gear!
    Ouch! Excellent point!

Ill put the gimp hood back on now.

Ride on!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I dunno. This thread hype is absurd. Reads to me like the second coming. The maxxis dhf is actually a big deal and it doesnít have a thread like this.

Resell ring: i borrowed from friend after i broke my ring. Seriously was like having an itch i couldnt scratch and i never stopped feeling it. It just kept screwing with my kick. Was a relief to be back on a round ring.
    The DHF is big, heavy and slow. An Ikon is a much better choice.

My single speeds will always have oval rings. When I go back to round, I hate the loss of climbing traction.

Geared? Not fussed.

mtbr member
    I might regret asking, but what's wrong with Polish? I guess that means Absolute Black is out, too?
    Fair question. I should have said, due to the disruption of nearly all businesses and supply chains because of Covid-19, especially in Europe, not sure I want to trust a Polish company to deliver right now.

Nothing inherently wrong being a Polish company. I order from all over the world and currently, product from the UK is slow but it gets here. Product from Europe is hit or miss. YMMV

mtbr member
    Absolute Black is out because they don't make a 102 BCD oval ring.

Still wanting to know if there are other source options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Haha, it sounds like too much hype to me and I've been running oval for many years. I got it because I had some knee issues. I don't know if it helped, but once my knee issues were gone I never went back to round. Now it feels as odd for me on a round ring as it does for you on an oval ring. I suspect the performance differences are overstated - I have friends who overstate them to the point of ridiculousness. I do think that it may help with fatigue, which makes you a little faster and a little stronger on a bigger ride. YMMV

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What about chain tension on a oval ring? Does the oval cause the chain go from tight to loose? Obviously with a gear bike the derailer provides tension and I run a Wolf tooth oval ring on my geared bike but havenít tried on my SS.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    What about chain tension on a oval ring? Does the oval cause the chain go from tight to loose? Obviously with a gear bike the derailer provides tension and I run a Wolf tooth oval ring on my geared bike but havenít tried on my SS.
    I currently have 3 SS bikes and run ovals. They all go from loose to tight as the crank is turned, but its not extreme to cause any issues. If you have sliding dropouts, sometimes the setup is a bit difficult to get it right in the middle of being too tight or too loose though.

With narrow wide chainrings, I have never had a chain fall off.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    no. some round rings go loose/ tight, depending on the level of precision from the manufacturer. no chainring is perfectly round, or ... concentric (?). the same is true for oval rings. the oval ring does not cause any SIGNIFICANT amount of change in chain tension, but it the dimensions are just a tiny bit off, you can see it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I agree, every SS Iíve owned has to be adjusted to max tension point in the rotation and gets a little bit looser throughout the rotation. My concern is how loose with an oval ring compounding this issue? Iím really itching to try my SS with an oval ring but donít want a loose chain.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I agree, every SS Iíve owned has to be adjusted to max tension point in the rotation and gets a little bit looser throughout the rotation. My concern is how loose with an oval ring compounding this issue? Iím really itching to try my SS with an oval ring but donít want a loose chain.
    I've never dropped a chain and am not looking at going "round" on an SS MTB ever again.

mtbr member
    everything you could want to know about oval rings- https://bikerumor.com/2020/03/27/aas...ing-questions/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've run one for years and love it. There is a minor change in tension, but I tend to run my chains a bit lose anyway. If the chainline and chain are good, no problem at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I've run one for years and love it. There is a minor change in tension, but I tend to run my chains a bit lose anyway. If the chainline and chain are good, no problem at all.
    Thanks, Iíll have to try it out then. I could actually take the one I have on my geared bike and check it out first. I like to keep my chain tight and I always rotate my crank to where the chain is tightest and pull my slider back and tighten it down. It gets only a bit looser but no where near enough to drop a chain.
    Iíll try to see what this does with an oval ring on it, I donít want a smiley face chain Look.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I just swapped back today to round after about a year on an AB oval. I dont think I can feel any difference in a regular pedal stroke but I does seem easier to spin out on looser climbs with the round - like it's easier to meter your output with an oval ring. The oval ring made my SS setup LOUD tho. Just a rattling mess down the trail. The clocking on the AB makes it so when you have level pedals the chain is loose and it clacks and rattles away. I think the oval was generally neutral to positive for SS riding but i dont think I'll be switching back

mtbr member
    I just killed my rear derailleur on my Niner SIR 9. I am thinking of making this bike a SS, if the cost is significantly lower than a new GX rear derailleur and chain. I have a 30t AB oval chainring, but have not seen much on people running 30t rings. I assume an 18 or 19 cog, spacer kit for my rear wheel, and a chain (what kind?) are all I need? Any feedback from someone running a 30t oval?

mtbr member
    just about any chain will work. if it's not terribly worn, the existing chain can be shortened and used for singlespeed. there have been some threads on chains and, while some are probably better than others, it really doesn't matter much what kind of chain you run. there's no compelling reason to use a "singlespeed" chain.

32/20 is where most people start for singlespeed gearings. a 19t cog would be pretty close to that with a 30t front. start there and if it's too spinny, get a 18t cog. if it's not spinny enough, use a 20t cog.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567