Oval chainrings for SS- Mtbr.com
    Use this space for what?

Oval chainrings for SS

Hey all you crazy folk. I wanna give it a go, one problem that I see is that on my dad's 86 or 87 Miele, it has oval Sugino chainrings. Would that be OK to run on an SS? If I have to buy a new right, it basically doubles the cost of this conversion for me. I will be running a chain tensioner
    Thanks!

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozza
    Hey all you crazy folk. I wanna give it a go, one problem that I see is that on my dad's 86 or 87 Miele, it has oval Sugino chainrings. Would that be OK to run on an SS? If I have to buy a new right, it basically doubles the cost of this conversion for me. I will be running a chain tensioner
    Thanks!
    It will be fine. I stripped and ss'ed an old Norco Bushpilot that was Biopace-equipped, the tension is consistent even with the oval ring, but that was the firstr part to be replaced, as the oval rings are designed to be used at a fairly constant rpm, and work against you when hauling up a hill or spinning out on a ss.
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Use this space for what?
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    It will be fine. I stripped and ss'ed an old Norco Bushpilot that was Biopace-equipped, the tension is consistent even with the oval ring, but that was the firstr part to be replaced, as the oval rings are designed to be used at a fairly constant rpm, and work against you when hauling up a hill or spinning out on a ss.
    Thank you much sir!

Members who have read this thread: 0