Out with the old King (X-Post)- Mtbr.com
    No Justice = No Peace

Out with the old King (X-Post)

I bought a headset on the board, from a guy who should be very reliable and trustworthy. It came packaged in the original bag, still stapled shut, so I have no reason to believe that he ever opened the bag, so we can assume the it came from King with missing parts. Specifically, the top race, or whatever they call that part that sits between the top bearing cup and the stem.

I called King to see if they would send me one, and I was willing to pay, but felt like they might throw me one free, since it's a small part, and the headsets go for like 125 now. (I currently have five King headsets in my stable, and couple spares.)

Don't count on it! They charged me $16.00 and change for hte part, and not only that, but the "shipping and handling" was over $6.00. Hoping for some consideration, I also asked them to throw me a scuff washer- the little plastic thing. $2 dollars more!

I appreciate the quality of their stuff, but I am done with the greedy **** that some of these companies throw out. Customer service is what separates the good deals from the bad, no matter how good the product, and there are plenty of other companies out there who will give a customer the benefit of the doubt, or at least not bend him over the desk when he neeeds a little something.

I'm done with King.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm sorry to say that I just don't see what you are getting all fired up about here. As far as the product is concerned, there is none better and I think you're on board with that as is anyone who has sampled the goods. If you go to the link http://www.chrisking.com/MSRP/MSRP_02012005.pdf and scroll to the piece in question, it's listed for the same $16 they charged. Now, I have no idea what you do for a living, nor is it of any consequence, but you have to understand all of the other pieces to the puzzle that make up a business. If he gives you and everyone else who writes in with a sob story about missing pieces a freebie, whether they are legit or not, really cuts into what is probably already a 2-4% profit margin. So for every 1 he gives away for free, he has to sell 3 or more just to recover materials & labor.

Sorry, but I run a small personal business, and most people just have no clue how tight the margins really are. And as far as the King Co. goes, I've read a good bit, and those people go to great lenghts to do things the right way by their employees, the enviroment, and quality of the product. If I have to pay a little more to keep a company like that in business, so be it.

.....but good luck with that.
    Last edited by MACK1; 09-10-2005 at 08:46 AM.

hands up who wants to die
    I found this old P1 laptop on the street in front of my house that had it's screen torn off.
    I called HP, but they wouldn't send me a new laptop screen.

I'm done with HP.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I also have to agree that there's nothing wrong with them charging you for the part. Your beef should be with the e'bayer who sold you the headset. If you had gone through your lbs they certainly would have taken care of it for you, for free. I don't think them charging you for the part has anything to do with customer service, either.

If you think king stuff is expensive, of course it is. But, it's quality stuff, made in the USA, and they would even seem to be pretty environmentally responsible. That's why people are willing to dig in to pay for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You said "Still"

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    I bought a headset on the board, from a guy who should be very reliable and trustworthy. It came packaged in the original bag, still stapled shut, so I have no reason to believe that he ever opened the bag, so we can assume the it came from King with missing parts. Specifically, the top race, or whatever they call that part that sits between the top bearing cup and the stem.

I called King to see if they would send me one, and I was willing to pay, but felt like they might throw me one free, since it's a small part, and the headsets go for like 125 now. (I currently have five King headsets in my stable, and couple spares.)

Don't count on it! They charged me $16.00 and change for hte part, and not only that, but the "shipping and handling" was over $6.00. Hoping for some consideration, I also asked them to throw me a scuff washer- the little plastic thing. $2 dollars more!

I appreciate the quality of their stuff, but I am done with the greedy **** that some of these companies throw out. Customer service is what separates the good deals from the bad, no matter how good the product, and there are plenty of other companies out there who will give a customer the benefit of the doubt, or at least not bend him over the desk when he neeeds a little something.

I'm done with King.
    Stapled shut"? I have not bought a King headset in a while but the last one I saw was NOT stapled! They fold over the plastic bag back into the headset from what I have seen. (maybe this has changed?) I would ask the buyer whats up? Maybe We all need to be warned of this guy.

The Top Cap Guy
    Every King headset I've bought came in the same plastic bag amd not one of them was ever stapled. I've had 6 of them - none in the last year... but everyone of them had the bag stuffed back down the headset hole.... Is that just me?

And I'm guessing that you didn't pay $120 for that headset... and even if you did- why go to King directly - go back to who you bought this new headset from. Why Sony directly when the new Wega TV you bought from Best Buy doesn't work... your skipping the person who made money on you directly and is responsible.

Just my 1/2 cent....

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Hairshirt Rider
    If it will help make your point, I'll buy that headset from you for $22.00.