Oury grips- Mtbr.com

Thread: Oury grips

mtbr member
    May 2014

Oury grips

Just wanted to say I just discovered these grips and have put a pair on 2 of my bikes. I am using the slip ons. These,are some fantastic grips that won't break the bank! Just thought I would share my thoughts and ask who else uses or has tried these grips?

mtbr member
    I've had the lock ons on two SS bikes and one geared HT. Also had some slipons on my old commute beater MTB and now on my fixed beater. Nice grips.

mtbr member
    I use the Ourys on my commuter. They are super comfortable, but I find them to be really bulky for aggressive trail riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I haven't tried the real Oury's, only the Chinese knock-offs, but if it's any measure at all, I prefer the half waffle Uberbike grips instead. Much more comfy and grippy. Same price as the real Oury's.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I don't find them too bulky but yes they are bulkier than my odi lock ons.

Keep on Rockin...
    Been using only Ourys for probably at least ten years. Love'm.

The Rogues are the only other I've considered - just a hair less thick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Rode them for years. Great grips, super tacky and last a long time. The big square blocks really take the numbness outta your hands on hard descents too. Wish they were just a little wider.

Birdman aka JMJ
    I have Oury slip-ons on all my MTBs. I have large hands, and love them. I recently forgot my gloves, so did a ride bare-handed (usually wear full finger gloves). No issues with grip or sweat at all.

Worth the weight penalty, IMHO.

I've tried Race Face Good N Evil grips - they had a nice large diameter to fit my hands, but were too hard. I've not tried the Chinese knock-offs of the Oury grips yet, since $10 for Oury is still reasonable.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    10 USD is cheap. Here they are at least 26 USD shipped (none locally). The knockoffs are around 4 USD shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I have Oury slip-ons on all my MTBs. I have large hands, and love them. I recently forgot my gloves, so did a ride bare-handed (usually wear full finger gloves). No issues with grip or sweat at all.

Worth the weight penalty, IMHO.

I've tried Race Face Good N Evil grips - they had a nice large diameter to fit my hands, but were too hard. I've not tried the Chinese knock-offs of the Oury grips yet, since $10 for Oury is still reasonable.

JMJ
    I must disagree with the sweaty hands lol. The last ride I had was hotter than hell and humid. I didn't have gloves on and my hands sweated so bad the grips did get really slick.

mtbr member
    I've used Ourys for years both on motorcycles and MTB's. If you are a larger guy with big hands the added bulk is really nice. Though, I have been tempted to get some ESI Chunky grips recently as I have heard some good things about them.

mtbr member
    oury lockons on my 29er, and slip ons on my fatbike. big hands, and they are great. Rode 20 miles the other day in the rain (road & gravel, not dirt) without gloves and they were comfortable the whole way. Only problem I had was it took a while for the slip-ons to stick. I sprayed the inside with windex and two days later they still continuously were slipping off my bar during a ride. following week, they were good tough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    awesome until they come loose and start spinning... always happened to me eventually; and usually during a wet/sloppy ride that i really needed good grip for.

the silicone type grips (ESI and the knockoffs) don't seem to start spinning. I have therefore been converted.

never could get used to the hard collars/cores of the lock-ons; but loved that they stayed put.

i'd highly encourage anyone who loves the ourys but cant get them to stay put to try the esi chunkys.

mtbr member
    Wipe the bars with petrol & you'll have to cut your grips off

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just use compressed air to get the grips off. Easy peasy

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I've used Oury for years, again. Used them 20 years ago too. I use the Oury Glue ons. I tried some Oury Lock Ons, but gave them to a friend after a few months, as they are not as soft as Glue Ons. After about 6 years I tried the ESI Silicone Chunky. I don't like the ESI as much, and they are going on a bike I am selling. The ESI grips are really good. I will put new Oury Glue Ons, onto the ESI equipped bike. If you read the back of the Oury package, they say to use 3M weather adhesive. It's all I use. My grips never slip.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I've used Oury for years, again. Used them 20 years ago too. I use the Oury Glue ons. I tried some Oury Lock Ons, but gave them to a friend after a few months, as they are not as soft as Glue Ons. After about 6 years I tried the ESI Silicone Chunky. I don't like the ESI as much, and they are going on a bike I am selling. The ESI grips are really good. I will put new Oury Glue Ons, onto the ESI equipped bike. If you read the back of the Oury package, they say to use 3M weather adhesive. It's all I use. My grips never slip.
    I know about that adhesive. Used it for years to hold gaskets in place during assembly. I do wonder about cleaning the old off when replacing grips though. I used an aerosol surface cleaner of some sort and my grips are tight as can be once dried.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Lock ons here and that is the only grip that I will use. Have tried others, and I always end up with the lock ons.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Oury grips slide right off the bar when they get wet and in Oregon, that was all the time. You can use adhesive, but then you have a ****ing mess on your handlebar.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I have no mess on my handlebars, by using the recommended adhesive. But you need to install grip in 8 seconds. I ride in rain, usually 20-25 rides per year. (drought last few years though). I wash my bike every week. No problems if you try 3M adhesive called for in instructions. I only nag the point, so people do not get discouraged by trying random home remedies for Oury install. I think Oury takes into account all factors in recommending a specific 3M product. Rain, humidity, 105 degree heat, fog, drizzle, snow, hurricane, earthquake, asteroids, atomic bombs, T-Rex, zombies, poison gas, hot lava, Oakland thugs, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Donīt know why people are suggesting adhesive, been using Oury grips for years on both my mountain and commuter bikes and never had an issue with them slipping. I also use an air compressor to install and remove them.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    You may not need adhesive. Everyone is different. Climate, humidity, bar material, rubber batch. I don't know what the deal is either. I had 3 sets of OURY, years ago, no adhesive no problem. Then one time I drive 3.5 hours with bike on rear hitch rack, grip blew 1/2 off. It was hot, 100 degrees. Then they twisted during ride. Now I use 3M. I tried hairspray, it was stupid. Everyone is different.