OT - Vasectomy recovery time- Mtbr.com
    indigosky

OT - Vasectomy recovery time

Ok, maybe not the right place to post this, but I gotta ask the question.

I've decided to have a vasectomy, and all that I read before my initial consultation is saying between a week and three weeks to start riding again. Well, I had my consultation this morning and the doctor is saying no biking, running, or any stenuous physical activity for 2 MONTHS!!!!!

I almost $hit myself when he said that. I'm pretty sure I will go completly off my rocker if I can't ride for two months!

Now, I'm all about following doctors orders, but come on, is TWO MONTHS really an accurate time for recovery???!?! Anybody with past experience that would like to share?

At least recovery time will be during mud season here in Maine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i haven't had my little procedure done yet (most like next fall), but a buddy of mine was off his bike for about a month. physically he was fine within a week, but still not excited to ride a bike for a few more weeks. 2 months sounds like an awefully longgggg time.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Now, I'm all about following doctors orders, but come on, is TWO MONTHS really an accurate time for recovery???!?! Anybody with past experience that would like to share?

2 months of not riding is better than 18 years of kids....

mtbr member

Take it easy

Dude, the main thing is to take it easy for the first 3 days. I mean real easy, no more walking then you have to. I was biking in two weeks, again nothing hardcore, but riding to work, 8 miles each way, smallish hills.
    I've heard of guys having problems, but they all pushed it in the first couple of days. By day two you'll feel fine, just ignore that, watch some more tv, lay around.. Don't over due it for the first few days.

Suffering Mightily

Great topic...

I'm in need (?) of this procedure myself and have been putting it off since my last little one was born 2 years ago. A friend at work was back running and cycling after a week, but he's probably tougher than me

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    2 months of not riding is better than 18 years of kids....
    Werd.

BTW, I was back riding in less than two weeks. Of course you may find yourself making allot more adjustments down stairs for saddle comfort.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I had it done 8 years ago when my secong child was born.

At that time I wasn't riding at all but can tell you that you'll need at least a week of not putting pressure at your parts ie standing, walking, etc. Rest and lots of ice will help you during the first days, you'll feel like someone gave you a nice kick on the balls.

I made the mistake of having the surgery done on a Friday and going to work on Monday. I walked like a cowboy and couldn't do half of the things I usually did at work or at home plus had some bleeding at the stiches after starting to work.

My recomendation will be to take it easy, rest and let the wound heal properly but you might be able to ride on a trainer proly by the second week IMO.

Account Retired
    More like two weeks recovery.......you'll want to hump again in just two days........ahhh permanent sterilization..........shooting blanks feels just as good as shooting magnums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    They usually do the procedure on a Friday and tell you to do nothing except ice it for the weekend. They tell you that for a reason. I tried to run a couple of errands on Sunday and paid dearly for it. I had mine done right after the New Year a couple of years ago and ran a 15k the first weekend in March. I think I started running again two weeks after I had it done. Think support! If you don't have a jock anymore go get one. After the initial week of fun if you do something it doesn't like there aren't going to be any surprises, it's going to hurt right away. You aren't going to do something wrong without knowing until later, there is an immediate feedback system in place Good luck, I'm definitely glad I had it done!
    "Each man would endeavor to brew good beer, and may God bless his labors" - Hamburg Municipal Law, Germany 1410.

Ride what you want!!
    I couldn't 'ride' the ol' lady for 6 weeks. My first 'ride' after that felt like I ripped my insides out.

geroge
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member

Diy

I'm gonna give myself a vasectomy.

I have a vise to hold my sack...some ice to numb the sack...a sharp utility knife...zip ties...

no, really, I need a vasectomy. I hear you can get one for like $10 in Toronto.

Lazy People Suck
    I had a vasectomy a couple of years ago and I was back on the bike after 2 weeks, but it was a pretty uncomfortable ride. Everyone is a little different, but 2 months sounds a little excessive. Just go by how you feel. Your body will let you know if it is too early.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Skulker

Wasn't two months.

If this isn't the forum in which to ask the question, what makes us all think its the one in which to answer it? But as long as we're all sharing...

The snipety snips were 9 years ago but I know I was off the bag of frozen peas and taking out the garbage by the end of the day. I was hiking within 4 days. I can't remember how long it took before biking, but it couldn't have been more than a couple of weeks. I think I rode road before dirt, though. It was probably more psychological than anything - not wanting to tear out sutures or undo any knots. The doctor sounds like he's being really conservative with the recovery time. I suspect you'll know when its OK to ride.

Best life decision I ever made. Two dogs, one cog, no sprogs.
    FREE BAJA ARIZONA!

"Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."
    Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen); Baz Luhrmann

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the job done about 5 years ago and my Doctors advice was, take it easy for a week and then do anything you want. Good luck.

stop...safety first

getting prepared

My doc said two weeks and right now THAT sounds long. But from what I hear and read my desire to ride will be greatly diminished by the kicked in the knards feeling.
    Regardless Im preparing by spending this whole week riding like crazy. yesterday I skiid the back country all morn and rode in the afternoon.
    Im planning on needing a rest by friday at noon when the big snip is scheduled. friday morning dawn patrol ride, then home for a shower and shave, and I don't mean the typical before work shave(well not at MY job).
    After reading these posts, Im definietly taking monday off too.
    and finally I may need a new screen name....maybe tubessnipper

indigosky

Wow

wow, thanks for all the input. I'm gleening that "my body will let me know when it's ready" is a pretty good way to handle it. I don't mind letting myself recover slowly, but a manditory two months off is a little overwhelming.

Thanks all.

mtbr member

3 Days :)

I had my "proceedure" just done this fall...scheduled it during cross season when I have a break from racing for 2 weeks. I went in on a Friday and had it done....was ready to get back on the bike that Sunday (2 days). I figured since I "scheduled" to be off the bike that weekend that the smart thing to do would be stay off Sunday as well. Went for a 2.5 hour road ride on Monday (SLR saddle) and felt fine. I had some very minor discompfort throughout the week, but nothing that kept me off the bike.

Good luck.....my proceedure was pretty much painless and some minri swelling and black and blue, but I do know of some who had a great deal of pain and discomfort. Actually I know of someone who went to have the proceedure done and the doctor spent an hour looking for the second tuble to cut....never could find the tube so he was sent to have some test done and they confirmed the Dr's suspission....he had only one kidney hence the one tube.

KMan

Ok, maybe not the right place to post this, but I gotta ask the question.

I've decided to have a vasectomy, and all that I read before my initial consultation is saying between a week and three weeks to start riding again. Well, I had my consultation this morning and the doctor is saying no biking, running, or any stenuous physical activity for 2 MONTHS!!!!!

I almost $hit myself when he said that. I'm pretty sure I will go completly off my rocker if I can't ride for two months!

Dain Bramaged

My experience in no BS terms

Hey - if you want answers I'll give it to you striaght. No BS or euphamisms - just the facts.

I had mine done this summer. I was in & out of the clinic very quickly. General discomfort was limited to tender tissue and what felt like a mild hernia (painful pressure in the lower abdomen). The tissue tenderness was gone within a few days and the abdominal pressure stayed for about a week. Any strain (lifting, stretching, jumping, etc.) caused more abdominal discomfort. I think I rode up to the C store on the 3rd or 4th day on my FS bike. Contrary to what I thought might happen I had no real pain or discomfort from riding in the area of the incisions. My riding pain came from any jarring of the scrotum itself. Surprisingly, this meant fairly pain-free riding much quicker than I would have guessed.

Overall I had a great experience - relatively pain free and no complications. One incision developed an anoying little lump, maybe the size of a small pea, until the stiches dissolved then it went away.

mtbr member

Two weeks is all that is needed

I had mine in '03. I took it easy for a few days and then started back at the gym. One week after the procedure I went for a 20+ mile ride and I swole up a little. I took it easy for a few more days and the next weekend I went for a 50mile road ride and had no problems. I think if I had done a road ride first I would have been ok. I haven't had any problems since.

A buddy of mine had his a few months ago and did a 60mile road ride the next day and says he was fine. I don't know about that.

a legend in his own mind

Only because,...

Quote Originally Posted by mtpisgah
    I had mine in '03. I took it easy for a few days and then started back at the gym. One week after the procedure I went for a 20+ mile ride and I swole up a little. I took it easy for a few more days and the next weekend I went for a 50mile road ride and had no problems. I think if I had done a road ride first I would have been ok. I haven't had any problems since.

A buddy of mine had his a few months ago and did a 60mile road ride the next day and says he was fine. I don't know about that.
    you didn't have those boat anchor Phil Wood hubs on your bike. Those polished silver piles of dung would have put you back in the hospital. But I'm paraphrasing.
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

Play all day
    You just gotta be careful the first couple of days afterwards. I had mine two years ago, and I felt ok, but made sure to stay off my feet as much as possible. My doctor gave me the warning, "Unless you want to come back in with balls the size of basketballs, stay off your feet!" If you take care of yourself the first 2-3 days, your recovery's gonna be smooth. Like the others, I was riding in two weeks after the surgery.

Skulker

Literally

Maybe you weren't referring to my post in particular, but getting "...off the bag of frozen peas.." and "...taking out the garbage..." weren't euphemisms.
    FREE BAJA ARIZONA!

"Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."
    Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen); Baz Luhrmann

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

to confirm everyones experiences above

[QUOTE=indigosky]Ok, maybe not the right place to post this, but I gotta ask the question.

I was three weeks before riding again. One thing they did not tell me - is my stitches fell out early and cause a dime size hole in my sack. Well, to make a long story short I called the Doctor that day. The doctor inquired about the bleeding, told me to relax, clean it up with alcohol and call him if it was still bleeding in three days. It was not. The one thing I hated, was the tugging senasation which lasted about a month and a half. This occurred after I was back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    man, with all this response , it seems many single speeders just shoot blanks.

Bored

$0.81 Us = $1.00 Cnd.

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    The only thing you'll get for $10.00 pertaining to your anatomy in Toronto is a nice crusty STD.

So now you are getting a lot less "bang" for your buck.....
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

ballbuster

There's always...

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I'm gonna give myself a vasectomy.

I have a vise to hold my sack...some ice to numb the sack...a sharp utility knife...zip ties...

... those Easton carbon seatposts.

Yeeeeesh! Gives me the willies just thinking about those things!

high plains drifter

take it easy

I thought 4 days was enough rest and went back to work and the twins were a little tender I think I even got on the trainer in the livingroom and felt fine .but the tenderness still presisted. I couldnt do nude jumping jacks for almost 3 months almost 6 months go by and I still had the tenderness I thought maybe I went back to work to soon , but alas
    1year later and I cant even tell I had it done.I dont think I rode for 1month but after that it was business as usual ,except for that slight tenderness for 3 months .might be an isolated incident .It was worth it

Steamroller

Oooouuucchhh!!!!!

My ex-boss went in for the information appointment with his wife. The doctor informed him that after his procedure, when he resumed sex, there could be a bit of blood in his ejaculate the first 3-4 times. His wife said "wow really, he can bleed for like a year?"

We all joked about this of course..... then he had the thing done and felt good so he played raquetball on about the 3rd day. His sack swelled like a grapefruit and he was on his back in great pain for days and out of work for nearly 2 weeks
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Don't do it

If single speeders don't breed more, we'll become extinct.

Real men just get a harder saddle instead of a vasectomy

PS I have a couple of extra children because I didn't get around to having this procedure. No regrets.

75% Mountain cycle

Next Day Baby - easier than walking!!!

I was crusin the next day on the road. Riding was easier than walking until day 4 - I thought I was going to die. I couldn't really ride hard off road for about 10 days and I rode my 5" travel free ride bike until about 2 weeks after that. I was back training hard after 2 weeks and I raced in 24hrs of adrenaline 4 weeks after the procedure.

Do yourself a favor - Ice the first day and wear the jock strap for 5-7 days. Again, day 4 is the hardest.

The worst part is shaving! Man the grow back period sucks. Shave good or they will do it.

Here's the part no one talks about. The hot nurse flipping your "unit" around applying warm iodine is a bit sketchy. If you don't pray, you will be praying the blood flow doesn't increase to the area during that part. Come on baby - STAY DOWN! My buddy sparked one during that part and as he appologized, she said it happens all the time. We keep telling him she was just being nice - Glad it wasn't me.

After these three boys - it was the best thing I ever did....... Look at them, they are terrorists!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brent

The 18th...

I go in on the 18th of this month...
    Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Seems as though it varies quite a bit from sack to sack.
    Then I can get back to lugging around my bikes with "boat anchor" hubs on them.

Brent

a legend in his own mind

Pretty boat anchors

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    I go in on the 18th of this month...
    Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Seems as though it varies quite a bit from sack to sack.
    Then I can get back to lugging around my bikes with "boat anchor" hubs on them.

Brent
    Check out this thread and you can see where I'm going with this.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=61284

Personally I love Phil's.
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

Cyclist

My doctor said two months too

but I was riding road after 10 days and mountain biking after two weeks.

Don't listen to them when they say it doesn't hurt much. It does. But you're in a catch 22 situation cuz you can't complain about it. I mean, delivery a 7 pound baby through you know what versus a couple stiches in the boys. My wife just looks at me and says "Please" while rolling her eyes.
    Last edited by striker; 02-01-2005 at 10:20 AM. Reason: kant spel
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ice Ice Ice Ice and more Ice

Ice 'em for more than just a couple of days. You can get back to normal activities, including riding, much quicker. I iced for a week. Much of the discomfort is from the swelling. New swelling will happen as you become more active - so ice 'em down. I had mine 4 years ago and was back to normal activity in 7-10 days. But... don't do it on a friday. Have it don on a tuesday, you will only miss one weekend of activity that way.

Brent

I Know

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpedaler.com
    Check out this thread and you can see where I'm going with this.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=61284

Personally I love Phil's.
    No offense taken. I appreciate your support. And for the gram counters we will offer a limited run of some lightened stuff.

For Bianchi4me,
    One forges hub shells if they are worried about flange failures, ours don't.
    We do forge the spoke holes though.
    We aim for simple, solid, high precision, quality, and ease of service ( no special tools or one of a kind bearings). Most of our customers buy our stuff with the expectation of a long long life of use and are doing so because they have broken others. That is one of the reasons we make them the way we do.
    But there is room to trim some fat I suppose...

Brent
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    wow, thanks for all the input. I'm gleening that "my body will let me know when it's ready" is a pretty good way to handle it. I don't mind letting myself recover slowly, but a manditory two months off is a little overwhelming.

Thanks all.
    hey I had the snip a year ago
    i did it over christmas break and chilled for several days with a road trip to the desert.
    after a week or so i was back at work messengering in the great city of portland or.

the first week back a t work was a bit tender but 8 hours in and out of the saddle was payin the bills.

i actually found the stubble from the shaving to be the most painfull thing ,that took about 4 weeks to go a way,but if you want to ride bad enough or you ride to pay the rent you just grit and bare it.

i did run into a complication 7 weeks afrter the snip that was no joke
    this was well after full recovery and the surgery was a dull memory at that piont
    on a friday after a 230 run week (thats alot) ,i started for feel a bit of pain down there.
    i went to be and woke up at 3am to terrible pain and swelling.
    my girlfriends dad is a doc. and i got some pain meds and tried to tough it out but 4 days of not being able to get out of bed was scaring the hell out of me.
    i went to a specialist and he told me not to worry and that this type of thing swellling and pain ,can happen from continued trama to the testies . apparently your chances are now higher after the vasectomy.
    he suggested some tighty whities or other more supportive under garment for work but not spandex tights as they can be to constrictive for a forty hour work week.
    i had been using just boxers for work but those days are over.

that was a year ago and i hve been trouble free and since.
    don't worry about the 2 month thing just listen to your body and plan to take some quality time off right after your surgery.
    cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

infection

I was told two weeks take it easy then no worries. One month later, I had one painfully enlarged nut. Infection. Rare, but then two more weeks off. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Had mine done in '98 on a Friday.

Mistake #1)
    Took 2 pain pills instead of one and ended up calling Ralph on the big white phone the first night.

Mistake #2)
    Felt OK the next day so I went out to look at the inside of our garage that I had been in the process of painting. Decided that I felt good enough to move a couple of 5 gallon cans of paint. Shouldn't have.

Everything calmed down and was back to roughly normal within a week or so, but I ended up with an infection down there a couple of months later. Pain and swelling, and ended up going on antibiotics while in the process of moving from Colorado to Sweden. Not a particularly good time to have pain and swelling.

Since then I've had a couple of other bouts of pain and swelling (inflammation, not infection), one caused by CX action using a Brooks Swift (OK saddle for riding with bars that only accomodate one hand position, but not my cuppa for a trail bike with drop bars).