OT: sloppy weld leading to headset cup movement on kona unit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OT: sloppy weld leading to headset cup movement on kona unit

Sorry for the OT post but since this is where I usually hang out...

I have a Kona Unit. At the downtube headset juncture, the weld is a but sloppy on the inside of the headtube. So basically there is a little bit of extra metal in there. It turns out that I have been having a hell of a time keeping my headset tight. And recently I have noticed movement of the bottom headset cup (CK) and a lot of creaking. If you apply the front brake, you can rock back on forth and see grease oozing around the bottom cup/headtube interface. And on the bottom headset cup itself there is a wear mark on the paint where that sloppy weld is. So I suspect what is going on is that bit of raised metal is causing the cup to deform slightly which leads to the movement.

My LBS took a look at it and said there was not much you could do about it. I was thinking dremel but the LBS said that it was not a good idea. They said I could just live with it and it should be ok.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them? Suggestions on solutions? TIA.

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    If I'm interpreting your description correctly, this sounds like a textbook case of "you need to get that head tube reamed & faced". If your LBS can't figure that out, you need a new LBS. Running it like that may have ovalized things a bit, so I'd use some Loctite 609 retaining compound when re-pressing the cups post machine work.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by supercorsa
    If I'm interpreting your description correctly, this sounds like a textbook case of "you need to get that head tube reamed & faced". If your LBS can't figure that out, you need a new LBS. Running it like that may have ovalized things a bit, so I'd use some Loctite 609 retaining compound when re-pressing the cups post machine work.
    I think you are. I didn't know there was a difference between reaming and facing. Looks like what I need is a good reaming. I know they faced it before installing the headset. Thanks.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...headface.shtml

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Why don't you PM Joe @ Kona to see what's his opinion. I ride a Unit and don't have that kind of problem, I can't afford a CK headset but my Cane Creek is working fine without any play or movement.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by supercorsa
    this sounds like a textbook case of "you need to get that head tube reamed & faced".
    Yup. Fire your LBS.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Members who have read this thread: 0