hispanic mechanic

OT-NBR! For you Ti afficionados...

I am a dumba$$ who lost my wedding ring.
    How can someone be that stupid, you ask? Well it was a bit big for me, so it'd turn and dig into my finger a bit when I rode, so in the middle of a ride a few weeks ago, I took it off and put it in the pocket of my Zoic baggies. Unfortunately, it fell out during the ride. D'oh!
    Well, I'm a jackhole, but it meant that I needed a new ring. These fine Canadians offer a nice selection of Ti rings at affordable prices, and their customer service is excellent!
    So now I have a ring that fits better, is wide enough (15mm) to distribute the handlebar shock without discomfort, and is darned snazzy!
    Oh and did I mention it's 6/4 titanium?

the los
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    I am a dumba$$ who lost my wedding ring.
    How can someone be that stupid, you ask? Well it was a bit big for me, so it'd turn and dig into my finger a bit when I rode, so in the middle of a ride a few weeks ago, I took it off and put it in the pocket of my Zoic baggies. Unfortunately, it fell out during the ride. D'oh!
    Well, I'm a jackhole, but it meant that I needed a new ring. These fine Canadians offer a nice selection of Ti rings at affordable prices, and their customer service is excellent!
    So now I have a ring that fits better, is wide enough (15mm) to distribute the handlebar shock without discomfort, and is darned snazzy!
    Oh and did I mention it's 6/4 titanium?

the los
    I think they're the company from whom we got our wedding bands, but I can't remember for sure. The funny thing is they made an error in the inscription but the error is so funny we kept it as-is. I have this one:

mtbr member
    OK, I'll bite: What's the funny inscription?

Jim

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    OK, I'll bite: What's the funny inscription?

Jim
    They left the "h" out of "through" and instead spelled "trough." The remainder is private, but picture some saying such as, "through our lives" becoming "trough our lives." You get the idea.
    Last edited by Nat; 05-24-2005 at 07:55 PM.

beartiful ring, but the wife is afraid of what would happen should I break that finger (surprisingly not that outlandish with me) with it on, it would be hard for an ER to cut it off. wives tale or true?

give me a reason to buy one.

what is the name of that ring?

Witty McWitterson
    Cool rings. Mine (white gold) is gettign real beat up. Its already lost a ton of detail, so replacing it soon is a good thing. I'll prolly be ordering soon. Bet your wife didn't like hearing this one....
    Just a regular guy.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganze
    the wife is afraid of what would happen should I break that finger (surprisingly not that outlandish with me) with it on, it would be hard for an ER to cut it off. wives tale or true?
    I asked about that before we ordered ours and he assured us that a standard ring cutter will remove the band.

just checked the site, which one is it?

Cracker-magnon
    Nice los,

I think Ti rings are the way to go. I got a Boone last year and it has been great. Definitely more durable. My wife wants a ti one now (she does not ride) with a big shiny solitare set in it now that I am finally out of school.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Before our wedding, that's the place I believe we ordered one (it was a long time ago, but the website looks familiar, as does the Canadian location). We got it, and it was honking huge for my wife's finger. It was nice, but totally wrong for her so we sent it back and later ordered Boone's for both of us. He does really great work at awesome prices.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

75% Mountain cycle

NO WAY! A standard ring cutter?

Please do not believe a standard ring cutter will cut a Ti ring. I hope someone here that's an EMT, ER employee, or Fireman can chime in and concur. I have heard stories from my neighbor who's a fireman that for various injuries in accidents he has seen, they often see peoples hands and fingers swell up and they have to cut their rings off. He told me they have had to try cut Ti rings off and can't. Even with the small Ti wedding bands they have to use heafty diagonal cutters.

That's why good drill bits are coated with a Ti coating - it's tough.

Ask around before you trust they guy selling the Ti rings - that's all.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    Please do not believe a standard ring cutter will cut a Ti ring. I hope someone here that's an EMT, ER employee, or Fireman can chime in and concur. I have heard stories from my neighbor who's a fireman that for various injuries in accidents he has seen, they often see peoples hands and fingers swell up and they have to cut their rings off. He told me they have had to try cut Ti rings off and can't. Even with the small Ti wedding bands they have to use heafty diagonal cutters.

Drill bits are normally coated with T-Nitride....a very different material!

From the BOONE website FAQ:

<DT>Q: What about cutting off a titanium or tungsten ring in case of an accident? <DT>A: The very first thing when I started making titanium rings is cut them off of my own finger by different methods. Titanium is about as hard as stainless steel, so things that cut steel such as a hacksaw or Dremel tool can be used. Titanium has a reputation of being stronger than steel. It's not necessarily so. It's the high strength to weight ratio that is the reason it is used in aerospace applications. I've had a customer that did have to get one cut off. They were able to remove it without a problem, and she ordered another titanium ring! <DT> <DT>Tungsten is made from powder, so it is hard, but relatively brittle. It can be cracked in a vise, by vise grips, by a hammer, or some similar means. <DT> </DT>http://www.boonerings.com

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cutting TI Ring

During my time as a Firefighter and First Aid Responder I have had to cut a few rings off fingers. I've had to cut two TI rings off, and they require no more time or effort than any other ring.
    I have just ordered a TI ring myself, to go with my new TI watch my wife got me.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Cool rings. Mine (white gold) is gettign real beat up. Its already lost a ton of detail, so replacing it soon is a good thing. I'll prolly be ordering soon. Bet your wife didn't like hearing this one....
    Don't replace it. You can get it refinished and it will look like new. I personally like the look of a well-worn gold band. It is truly symbolic of the marriage (for me at least).

i take off my ring for windsurfing. i put it on my keychain, actually working it on to the keyring like a key. then i hope not to loose my keys and keychain!

As for ti: the reason I will not get one anytime soon (and i looked) is that you cannot get them resized like a gold ring. A wedding ring is for your whole life and hopefully to pass on as an heirloom. And some of us might change size over these long time periods... this also makes me think it is difficult to cut off in an emergency situation. gold and silver are much softer.

that said, i am really considering getting this for my wife as a birthday gift.. has anyone seen this Mokume TriGold in person?

Only boring people get bored.

Custom User Title
    I have this one. It's a little big, and I would recomend to any first time ring purchaser; get a comfort fit- nice rounded edges. This ring has cut me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I think they're the company from whom we got our wedding bands, but I can't remember for sure. The funny thing is they made an error in the inscription but the error is so funny we kept it as-is. I have this one:
    My wife got me the first version spiral one. ~7mm wide but not as rounded as that. I love it, my old two tone gold one was pretty worked.
    man, the los' one is huge! don't tink I'm 'manly' enough to handle the width of that one.
    You're the man los!
    Last edited by logbiter; 05-25-2005 at 07:25 AM. Reason: it's the spiral I

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Nice, I had the same ring (Abyss...which is where the relationship went) made by the same company from a prior relationship. I married two weeks ago and am now sporting a Tungsten ring from the same company. It's not supposed to react, but my finger is turning green, how strange.

locked - time out
    This site has alot of cool stuff also:

http://titaniumera.com/

contains quinine
    Huh. I'd heard ti rings couldn't be cut, glad to hear it's no big deal.

I'll still try to take mine off when riding, as it'd be done for if it was cut. fwiw, mine's a lot more simple than the others you guys have posted.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Wandering not Lost
    beartiful ring, but the wife is afraid of what would happen should I break that finger (surprisingly not that outlandish with me) with it on, it would be hard for an ER to cut it off. wives tale or true?

give me a reason to buy one.

what is the name of that ring?

It is the one ring Ganze....the one that binds us all.....only to be feared as a close second to yard gnomes....

75% Mountain cycle
    From www.e-weddingbands.com. It is more difficult but as you'll see, most emergency rooms can handle it.

"Q: Can a Titanium ring be cut off?

A: Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where it might become necessary to cut off a Titanium ring - for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc., - cutting through titanium will be more difficult than cutting through gold or platinum. However, it can still be done. In our own jewelry shop, we used a separating disc and flexible shaft tool-items commonly found in nearly all jewelry shops that work with gold, silver, and platinum--to cut through one of our 5mm domed and comfort fit titanium rings. Cutting it all the way through took only 20 seconds. Next, we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to cut off a titanium ring in an emergency. Most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and ours assured us that it would be no problem for them.

During our 30 years of jewelry repair experience, we've only seen a dozen or so rings that have been cut off in hospital emergency rooms, and in most of those cases the rings had been bent out-of-round and were putting painful pressure on the finger. Titanium rings are less likely to crush or bend out-of-round, so if you shut your hand in a car door or drop a heavy object on it, it might be safer to be wearing a titanium ring than a precious metal band! Nonetheless, if you ever need your Titanium ring cut off, just contact a local jeweler that uses separating discs. Please check with your local medical facility if you have concerns."

Wandering not Lost

ok....dang it fireman/paramedic here....

Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan

he is right...a std ring cutter will be torn to pieces by a ti ring...not to mention you will have a hell of a time w/ just platium.... 6/4 ti as we all know is very hard...we carry nothing that would cut this beyond some really burly tools.....I am sure the hospital has something but might take a while to find it....

heck worse case scenario......I would just take the finger....it's not in the books...but should not be that hard....lol

off topic...but yesterday my weekly ss ride was inhibited by this....no sleepy while dirvey....

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by neville
    During my time as a Firefighter and First Aid Responder I have had to cut a few rings off fingers. I've had to cut two TI rings off, and they require no more time or effort than any other ring.
    I have just ordered a TI ring myself, to go with my new TI watch my wife got me.
    schweet time piece Neville.....ck my reply....had quite a little hazmat problem yesterday...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor
    schweet time piece Neville.....ck my reply....had quite a little hazmat problem yesterday...
    Did you get a run up and ride straight through.LOL

Looks really HOT

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Boone

Another vote for Boone. My wife and I both have Boone Ti rings, mine is 8mm wide and both of hers are 4mm each, witha tension setting for the engagement ring. Bruce has excellent customer service, he even did a resize for my wife's ring for free. If I were in the market I would definitely go to him again.

Oh yeah, and for the record, Ti is not harder or stronger than Steel. If an EMT or Hospital can cut off a steel or stainless ring, they can cut off a Ti one. It's the myth of Ti, just look up some material properties, it is in the same strength range as steel, but is weighs less, and is naturally corrosion resistant (at normal temperatures). That's it, it's not super strong or super hard like everyone seems to think.

mtbr member

boone rings

Well, thankfully I haven't had to cut mine off yet. Or have it cut off....

I'd just like to say that my wife and I (along with numerous friends) have Boone ti rings and absolutely love 'em. His customer service was awesome!

Since we bought ours, he's come out with many other styles too.

Give 'em a look if you are interested in rings. The price is definitely right. Just go get sized at the mall first and send him the size.

www.boonerings.com
    It's only weird because it's not normal.

PROJECT | ONE

Quote Originally Posted by BThor
    he is right...a std ring cutter will be torn to pieces by a ti ring...not to mention you will have a hell of a time w/ just platium.... 6/4 ti as we all know is very hard...we carry nothing that would cut this beyond some really burly tools.....I am sure the hospital has something but might take a while to find it....

heck worse case scenario......I would just take the finger....it's not in the books...but should not be that hard....lol

off topic...but yesterday my weekly ss ride was inhibited by this....no sleepy while dirvey....

I figured you were there. Crazy.

Did you also respond to the crash that killed Vernon Grant in way south dallas?

I bet you would steal the ring and wear the finger on a string around your neck too.

Wandering not Lost
    Did you get a run up and ride straight through.LOL

Looks really HOT

odd part was I was on the other side of the explosion about 25' from the cab of the rig....we could not even see the fire overhead.......no real concussion but a great light show......Let's see....temps in the high 90's and fighting this thing for a couple of hours....I was drained...

and for all us cyclists....I had just finished a triainer workout at the station....when the call came in ...so under my bunker pants was my trusty cycling bibs......to which I solely attribute my saftey....not the kevlar....

Wandering not Lost
    I figured you were there. Crazy.

Did you also respond to the crash that killed Vernon Grant in way south dallas?

I bet you would steal the ring and wear the finger on a string around your neck too.

...I did not think you saw that necklace....damm slipping in my discretion w/ age

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This is where I bought my Abyss wedding ring. Great ring at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    This site has alot of cool stuff also:

http://titaniumera.com/

mtbr member
    Another option not mentioned yet: http://www.titaniumarts.com/pages/ri...html?content=1

Leni Freid and Mike Augspurger have been around the Ti biz for years.

On a wheeled note, check out the handcycles that Mike is building these days also. Leni's Ti anodizing is way cool also.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Trail rider and racer
    Lovely. I love the seamaster. Ti looks great.
    Trev!

Boone Titanium Rings
    The 6Al4V titanium rings are actually pretty easy to cut with a hacksaw. A regular ring cutter works fine too. They are getting pretty popular. Brett has had to take over all the Boone bike parts at his shop while I've done just the wedding rings for a few years now. They are still continuing to ramp up.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I had Bruce Boone make my wife’s engagement ring two years ago and then we had him make our weeding bands last year. We have been very happy with the rings and Bruce’s service.

Heres a shot from the wedding album.

HIYAH

Another Boone Customer

I have a TI wedding band from Bruce and love it. His customer service is great. I also gave my wife a TI ring for Valentines day a few years ago from bruce as well...