OT: Any Telemark Skiers Out There?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

OT: Any Telemark Skiers Out There?

I figured since single speeds are on the fringe and telemark is on the fringe, maybe there's a connection?

I've been skiing telemark since 1985, gave it up for AT gear cuz those leather boots were plain awful, came back to telemark four years ago, now I'm rippin' on T Race, Hammerheads, and fatties. Though I live in TN, I ski a lot in CO and WV.

So, is there a connection?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yup. SS and tele here too.

Singlespeed since last year, tele since '84.

As for you, though NB, shouldn't you be looking for the SS equivilent to
    NTN?!!!????

Now git back to Ttips where you belong..............

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The NTN version of SS?

Hmm, I'm not sure that we even need anything new, the SS scene is pretty awesome already

I would like a titanium frame though...

Hey Encino, where are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sorry NB, I couldn't help myself - after reading all your NTN hassles on Ttips.

Where am I?. At work.......

Huntsville (Ontario that is) where I'm looking out my office window at a 15 foot high
    bank of plowed snow from the parking lot. Still 2-3 foot snow pack in the woods.
    (A dusk patrol poach at local ski hill that just closed for the season is happening after
    work tonite...)

Just starting to get the riding vibe happening. I'm goning to use my SS for commuting
    this season. I built it up last summer to make riding with my 10 and 12 year old sons
    more of a challenge, and also as a return to the basics after trashing so many dualies.
    Now I've got the bug ......bad.

I'm guessing that being in Tennessee you're already riding trails. Or have been all winter.
    I'm a "few" weeks away from a trail ride......

Later

David S.

one chain loop
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    CHUCKY GROSS frequents here!

mtbr member
    Telemark: only in the back country, but I suck at it. I'm about as good at it as I drink beer.

SS: all the time - it's always available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    SS and telemark
    Correlation between telemarking and singlespeeding?
    Sorry, didn't even think to try search

I'm much newer to the MTBR, I cut my teeth on Boatertalk years ago, now I frequent Telemarktips but that season is drawing to a close.

I dream in telemark, riding bikes is mostly a pacifier, but I gotta say that I am really diggin' the single speed ride, it has almost brought me back from the edge...

I would definitely give up some testicular material to live near the snow again, but I gotta bide my time for a few more years, then were mountain bound!! My dream town is Hood River Oregon.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    There's definitely a similar vibe to the two sports. I also think that the power/anaerobic component of SSing is more complementary to skiing downhill than is geared riding. Skinning uphill is good for everything.

Tua CrossRide 112's, 7tm's, and Garas.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

(slight return)
    Telemark? What's that?

-slide

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ha! nurse ben, i feel like i know you from ttips. i'm one of the thousands of NTN owners who has broken many other bindings but has had zero issues w/ NTN durability.

still bummed that you managed to be the one person with such bad NTN experiences. as I, a 195 lb guy -- who prefers active bindings -- dials down the red cartridge to a preload of 1.5 with stellar results, I can't help but think of your cranking up the black springs so high.

but back on track -- i do think there's a connection. just as many longtime alpine skiers find that telemarking somehow makes skiing fun again, i've found the same thing happening w/ my mtn biking. i have 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch, 8 inch travel full suspension bikes (geared) that still get ridden, but many of my best rides lately have been on my 26er single speed steel hardtail. can't quite explain why it's more fun, but it is. i'm in the process right now of building up a bling-tastic 29er SS steel hardtail. can't wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ahhh, tele and SS - not for the faint at heart. We had an epic powder day on Monday at our local hill - Bogus Basin - 7 inches and a low low 12 degrees! I am still hobbling around from rippin on the tele.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Still geared, but I've been doin' the tele since the early 90's. I wonder if SS would be better training for tele skiing than geared biking would be. I've been thinking about this a lot. I busted my hump riding and running to prep for tele season, but my legs still tire too easily. Would SS help with that?

(slight return)
    Man, I;ve been away from ttips for a while. I don't recognize any of these names. Think my last post there was spring 2005 either after a one day donner-squaw tour or maybe after an alipine col tour. A bunch of my old ski housemates were pretty active on ttips, mchin, lucy, bobakka... I hung up the tele skis when the little girl was born, got obsessed with biking and now debate whether I want to take a day off of biking to ski. I can ride from the back door, but skiing is a 3 hour drive. I expect to be back on ttips circa 2012

-slide

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As far as training to tele - I just try and ride my bike -SS or geared until the very end before the mtn. opens. This way I protect my knees but as far as training to tele - I don't do it. This year my training was 3rd day on the skis was a CAT ski day at Targhee with a bunch of snowboarders. I managed to lose both of my big toenails from that day and my ego. 2 days after that I was rippin 13 inches at the area. I was good to go the rest of the season!

Teen Wolf
    ss and skate ski. im the antichrist i guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    just about to hang the skis up for the winter until monarch got 12" Monday night. So I hit one last day of knee dropping fun.... now its time to call it and start training for trans iowa.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where's Monarch and what is the trans Iowa?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I've nearly been SS-ing exclusively for 2.5 years.

But I've been an alpine skier (resort and AT) for around 20. Can't say I've ever gotten the urge to telemark. When I get bored with skiing, I just start jumping off of stuff (i.e my avatar).

I did get into singlespeeding to add a little extra flavor to my local trails...and now I'm completely hooked. But I don't see myself becoming a telemark skier anytime soon.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by jooliejo

I managed to lose both of my big toenails from that day and my ego.
    Yikes! Could your shells be too big?
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

Tucson, AZ
    biked and skied for the past 15 years

Switched to Tele and SS both in this year. Had no idea there was a corelation until reading this post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yup, tele here in bend or, and ss on my 29er as well, best of both worlds here in Oregon.

Tucson, AZ
    Best of one world and most likely the worst of the other here in Tucson, AZ.

We have a ski mountain believe it or not. 50 miles from the border and there are powder days in the winter.
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29
    '07 Surly Karate Monkey 32t/20t

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Last weekend, went from riding the Slickrock on my Redline Monocog to skiing 12" pow on BD Kilowatts. Come on out to Utah, guys......

Here's another experiment...anyone homebrew?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    But I don't see myself becoming a telemark skier anytime soon.
    oh come on now... you know you WANT to.... ... hehehe!

count me in for free-heel skiing and SSing. been doing both off and on since '99. fun stuff....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainwonk
    Last weekend, went from riding the Slickrock on my Redline Monocog to skiing 12" pow on BD Kilowatts. Come on out to Utah, guys......

Here's another experiment...anyone homebrew?
    Of course. That makes 2 out of 3, but still no SS. Nothing against it, just haven't tried it. Although, my LBS replaced my small chain ring with one having more teeth, so my lowest gear isn't as low anymore. Climbs are a lot harder, but I can still do all the ones I could before. I should be pissed, but I know I'm getting a better workout, so I just let it go.

Harrumph
    Late into the thread, but...kinda. I can see the connect. SS'in is hard on the knees is something of a myth. But skiing is without a doubt hard on the knees, so no skiing for me and my lack of cartilage and tendon tension. But I did a few "14'ers" in the winter, and was jealous of the guy who "skinned" up and had absolutely untouched powder for a few thousand feet down to camp.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Knee dropping fairies! I alpine tour here in OZ. Tele skiing busts to many bones and joints. Tele bindings also weigh more than Dynafit bindings.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by positron
    Knee dropping fairies! ......
    My first thoughts...With all due respect of course
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben
    ... now I'm rippin' on T Race, Hammerheads, and fatties. Though I live in TN, I ski a lot in CO and WV.

That's the Tele version of a 575 with a tensioner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Gald to see others making the connection between tele and single speeds. for me the simialrity is in the siplicity, but mostly the feel. In Alpine/AT the system is very limiting in terms of potential motion. I feel free in telemark, but AT is so static. The same goes for riding an SS, I feel free of gears, it's just pont and shoot, plus it feels so natural, like I am the bike whereas with gears and suspension you are a rider.

Knee dropping fairies!
    As for the folks who equate difference as a negative, I can also rip ass on snowboards and alpine gear. I tele because I can do it well and it challenges me to be a better skier. What's your excuse
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Stokeless Asshat

Yup yup.

Started doing both in 94.

The metamorphosis was from a converted Salsa Ala Carte to a couple of SS 29 customs and a garage full of converted frankenbikes,

The skiing started with 210cm rossi 4sk`s and Asolo Extremes to Blizzard Titan 9.2`s,Chili R`s and Crisp XR`s.

Yesterday was 2 feet at Loveland basin am and then 1800` of climbing down valley on the SS. It`s been a great season.

Jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0