Origin 8 single speed crankest???? ANyone use one??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Origin 8 single speed crankest???? ANyone use one??

Want to convert my 29er to a 1x9. not sure if i should convery my current crankset or just try to get a budget singlespeed crankset.

SAw the Origin 8 and liked them...

Ovaries on the Outside
    SS chainring bolts on your existing crank and you are good to go. Don't know anything about the Origin8s...

mtbr member
    I don't know much about their models or specs, but the ones I remember seeing in the past looked more like road/cross cranksets which makes me worry that the chainline might be off from a normal mountain crankset. But that is just me theorizing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think they would be fine. Fairly cheap experiment if you decide you don't like them. Once you've ridden them, you can post your review here. It might help a lot of people.

FWIW I've been on cheap Sugino's for several years (as has my friend). Ain't nothing wrong with those either.

Ovaries on the Outside
    +1 Suginos. I picked up a pair of used ATs with a decent BB for 20 in town. Work and look great in addition being five bolt. I think deore dx can be found for under forty on ebay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there's one on my daughter's bike...
    it's a crankset, long as you're not aiming at WW or uber-stiff and you want to stick with square taper, I feel it's a good call.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Draggin

I have experience with the Origin-8 Crankset!

I have a vintage USA-Made Huffy Scout ATB I converted to a Single-speed Fixed-gear. I wanted to do it on the cheap. I have never used single-speed before (except my Diamondback BMX with a coaster-brake when I was a wee one). I modded the frame to accept narrow road-tires and I wanted a beater that I could learn on, assuming I'd beat the living F' outta the thing.

The O-8 Crank is SWEET! Especially for the money. Its tight, smooth, quiet, and well made. I don't think I can break it if I tried to. They only weigh 395 grams too, 100 grams LESS than the Sugino RD-2s.

Any Sugino is great though, they are just more expensive. I paid $60 for my O-8, the Sugino RD-2 would have cost me around $100, and the Super-Sexy Sugino 75s would cost around $250!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Origin 8 single speed crankest????  ANyone use one??-img_1657-enhanced-1024x768.jpg  

Last edited by DragginRSX; 10-25-2009 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DragginRSX
    They only weigh 395 grams too, 100 grams LESS than the Sugino RD-2s.
    You actually weighed them yourself to get that weight? If so, that is pretty sweet indeed.

mtbr member
    I've been eyeballing a set of these for my SS as well. Does anyone know the smallest chainring that you can get for these? I know they are 110bcd also. Maybe ISAR could prolly make a nice chainring for these and maybe an outer bashring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06
    I've been eyeballing a set of these for my SS as well. Does anyone know the smallest chainring that you can get for these? I know they are 110bcd also. Maybe ISAR could prolly make a nice chainring for these and maybe an outer bashring
    34t tooth is the smallest commonly available, 33t has been made before by a few people

Tulsa
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a set of these cranks, been trying to get in on a set of the old xtr on ebay to mod myself but somebody seems to be ratcheting up the price on them to do the same then resell them. meh
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a set of these cranks, been trying to get in on a set of the old xtr on ebay to mod myself but somebody seems to be ratcheting up the price on them to do the same then resell them. meh
    I found the trick to getting a cheap pair of XTR on eBay is to use esnipe (http://www.esnipe.com). Save your search for XTR cranksets so it sends you a daily email of new items. Then enter each one of those into a bid group in esnipe (as soon as one wins, it cancels the bid for all the other auctions in that bid group) and simply put the (realistic) amount you're willing to pay. Eventually you'll win one. It took me two months, but I finally won one for $86 shipped .

Tulsa
    thanks for the tip

i'll try that, i just bought a cheap pair of FSA sidewinders (whatever those are) to get me by till I could get a set of the xtrs. Might as well try the cheapo's first though
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Sheldon Brown has these on his site and lists this info...

Chainline w/107 mm bottom bracket:

43.4 mm as double (middle of spider)
    47.1 mm outer ring
    39.7 mm inner ring
    158 mm tread ("Q factor")

So, what spindle length would be needed to achieve an exceptable chainline for single speed and possible 1x9 use?

Draggin

Response to "...weighed 'em yourself?..."

No, I didn't weigh them myself, but this was the approximate shipping weight (family-owned bike-shops are the best, they'll always tell you their dirty secrets) so its gotta be pretty close. (One of these days, I'm just gonna drop the $40 I need for an 11-pound digital scale from Wal-mart.) The secret to the weight-loss is that they are semi-hollow aluminum and the Suginos are solid. Plus, that's for the ARM AND SPIDER ONLY. The arms of the O-8 RPM are very broad and wide, so strength is NOT a problem (trust me on this one! I was riding it home one night in the rain and hit a curb at too narrow an angle. The bike went to the side at a good 15-20mph; I, however, kept going the same way at 15 mph! {this was a week and a half ago and my ankle is still purple from my foot to my knee! You can actually see the chain- and seat-stay imprint in the bruise!} The 30-pound bike, my 145-pound body, and a 40 pound messenger bag complete with 1000-page Calculus book inside, slammed on the crank-arm and it still looks brand new and is perfectly straight)!

mtbr member
    Most origin8 stuff is crap, from my expirence.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an Origin 8 2x9 on my 29er and I am blown away by the quality and affordability of the crank. Origin 8 is a fairly new company and they are getting their act together with quality. I think the 2009 and up stuff isn't bad. Got me through Leadville and an entire season of training/racing. I will be buying another crank from them soon for my new SS build.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

Draggin
    Hey, you get what you pay for, and the stuff looks cool and doesn't break. As I said, any Sugino is great, plus we can't all afford a $350 Campagnolo Record Pista or just don't want to buy expensive parts without prior FG/SS experience.

mtbr member
    sorry, not trying to be insulting... im kinda an parts snob.

Draggin

Cetainly NOT offended!

I, too, am OCD picky about parts, and a weight-weenie to boot, however, I have a 30lb. bike to practice and, well, beat-up. I still want to have a little class, style, and individuality so an inexpensive yet stylin' crank is perfect. I think it would be perfect for others for the same reasons as well.

Draggin

Does "Fixedforbroke" know of other options?

I am also the kind of guy who that, when reading a review, looks for the phrase "as good or better than far more expensive examples." Seeing this phrase or one like it is the most significant part of a review for me and often makes my decision.

Therefore, being in the bike business, if you have other suggestions, I (as anyone else who reads this) would be happy to hear them. The catch, however, is that I like custom colors, sooo... What do you got!?

Parts like these are difficult to come across in a place like Fort Wayne, Indiana (if we have bike-messengers here, I have NEVER seen them!). We MAY have three, maybe four, bike-shops in the entire county!

mtbr member
    If i were converting to a 1x9 today i would use either a tru-vativ or raceface that fit the bill. converting a shimano xt or xtr is one you can justify to the wife because you can always convert back if you just put a bash guard on the extra bolt holes.

If youre looking for a road option, i like the sugino cranks and they are coming out with cool chain rings for 2010 that are anodized all sorts of colors.

Members who have read this thread: 0