Oregon Single Speeding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Oregon Single Speeding?

I'm heading to Oregon (from Colorado) and I'm looking for some events, races, or great single speed convergences to hit. I'll be leaving the Roaring Fork Valley on the 18th and returning in early July. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InfXXIV40-60
    I'm heading to Oregon (from Colorado) and I'm looking for some events, races, or great single speed convergences to hit. I'll be leaving the Roaring Fork Valley on the 18th and returning in early July. Any suggestions?
    What part of Oregon are you headed to?

If you wanna race check out the <a href="http://www.obra.org/schedule/2004/index.html"> OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association) </a> calendar.

I don't know of any SS specific events but the <a href="http://www.puff100.com">Creampuff</a> is happening during the period you'll be in Oregon and there will be some non-racing riding going on that weekend (It's too late to enter the Creampuff now) by volunteers and other non-racers.

Out spokin'
    I recommend you spend some time in the Oakridge area, about 40 miles east of Eugene/Springfield. There's scads of awesome singletracks up there from sublime to wicked, easy to epic. If you get a chance to hang around Eugene a little bit, look up the Disciples of Dirt MBC
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DisciplesOfDirt/
    The DOD rides 52 weeks a year and there's always good riding going on. (FWIW I founded the Disciples in 1987.) Wednesday night is ride night and this time of year it stays light until 9pm -- very nice.

Be sure to take in the McKenzie River Trail while you're here, but plan to do so on a weekday -- it gets very crowded on weekends after Memorial Day. Unfortunately the high country (Waldo Lake, Cascade Lakes, etc.) is still under snow as I write this, but maybe at least some of that awesome zone will be doable before you have to return home. Hope so.

--Sparty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 06-08-2004 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Er... what was your name again?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Thanks...

...that was just what I was looking for. One last thing: 26er or 29er...is the riding technical and twisty or less so./
    thanks much-

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I recommend you spend some time in the Oakridge area, about 40 miles east of Eugene/Springfield. There's scads of awesome singletracks up there from sublime to wicked, easy to epic. If you get a chance to hang around Eugene a little bit, look up the Disciples of Dirt MBC
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DisciplesOfDirt/
    The DOD rides 52 weeks a year and there's always good riding going on. (FWIW I founded the Disciples in 1987.) Wednesday night is ride night and this time of year it stays light until 9pm -- very nice.

Be sure to take in the McKenzie River Trail while you're here, but plan to do so on a weekday -- it gets very crowded on weekends after Memorial Day. Unfortunately the high country (Waldo Lake, Cascade Lakes, etc.) is still under snow as I write this, but maybe at least some of that awesome zone will be doable before you have to return home. Hope so.

--Sparty

Out spokin'
    ...that was just what I was looking for. One last thing: 26er or 29er...is the riding technical and twisty or less so./
    thanks much-
    There is every kind of riding here. Smooth and buffed to tight and twisty to technical, steep and stunty. It all depends on which trails you ride and which area you ride.

The Oakridge area tends toward technical, steep and stunty, but there are some really fast buffed sections, too. Check out Moon Point (just now open after the winter snowmelt), Larison Creek, Larison Rock and the Alpine Trail. You want technical and physically challenging? Try the Bunchgrass Trail. And don't miss Middle Fork -- it's long and has a little of everything.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.