Oregon Puffers may Invade Downieville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Oregon Puffers may Invade Downieville

A few of us from Oakridge/Eugene, OR, are wanting to experience another area of epic riding and are quite curious if a trip to Downie would be worth our time or not. All we hear is good stuff.
    We've been putting quite epic rides together here in the Oakridge area, preparing for the CCP 100, but want to do the same somewhere else. What kind of elevations will we be able to reach during the Memorial day wknd? Is this a good time to make the trip, or would it be better to wait until later in the summer? Is anyone doing any epics that wknd which we could possibly join in on?

Cheers,
    SSconny (Damien)

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SSconny
    A few of us from Oakridge/Eugene, OR, are wanting to experience another area of epic riding and are quite curious if a trip to Downie would be worth our time or not. All we hear is good stuff.
    We've been putting quite epic rides together here in the Oakridge area, preparing for the CCP 100, but want to do the same somewhere else. What kind of elevations will we be able to reach during the Memorial day wknd? Is this a good time to make the trip, or would it be better to wait until later in the summer? Is anyone doing any epics that wknd which we could possibly join in on?

Cheers,
    SSconny (Damien)
    Keep an eye on Yubaexpeditions.com. They're saying the shuttles may be running on Memorial Day weekend if warm weather continues. If so, there would be plenty of opportunities for some long rides in the higher elevations. Personally, I'm headed up your way during that time and I'm wondering the same. Any chance Waldo Lake loop will be open? Would also like to ride the stuff from Bachelor down to Bend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Keep an eye on Yubaexpeditions.com. They're saying the shuttles may be running on Memorial Day weekend if warm weather continues. If so, there would be plenty of opportunities for some long rides in the higher elevations. Personally, I'm headed up your way during that time and I'm wondering the same. Any chance Waldo Lake loop will be open? Would also like to ride the stuff from Bachelor down to Bend.
    Too bad we may not cross paths that wknd. If you're heading up that time, make sure you get on the Disciples of Dirt yahoo group for the time being, and a some folks can hook you up with whatever you're looking for (www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/DisciplesofDirt). As for the Waldo Lk. loop, it's usually not open until late June, and even into July some years. Usually that area of trail doesn't get cleared until around the 4th of July. This area is great riding... an event to consider is the Summer Ride Fest, which is the 3rd. wknd of July (16-18) hosted out of McGillicudy's outpost in Oakrigdge, Oregon. We lead many different rides at all skill levels during this wknd, and it is soooo much fun. Last year we had over 60 participants from all over the NW.
    If you are interested in more trails open, either get on the Disciples of Dirt yahoo group, or you can email me personally and tell me when you are heading this way. My email is Damien at photoregon dot com and I'd be more than happy to help you find some of our most amazing trails that are clear.
    Cheers,
    SSconny

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SSconny
    Too bad we may not cross paths that wknd. If you're heading up that time, make sure you get on the Disciples of Dirt yahoo group for the time being, and a some folks can hook you up with whatever you're looking for (www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/DisciplesofDirt). As for the Waldo Lk. loop, it's usually not open until late June, and even into July some years. Usually that area of trail doesn't get cleared until around the 4th of July. This area is great riding... an event to consider is the Summer Ride Fest, which is the 3rd. wknd of July (16-18) hosted out of McGillicudy's outpost in Oakrigdge, Oregon. We lead many different rides at all skill levels during this wknd, and it is soooo much fun. Last year we had over 60 participants from all over the NW.
    If you are interested in more trails open, either get on the Disciples of Dirt yahoo group, or you can email me personally and tell me when you are heading this way. My email is Damien at photoregon dot com and I'd be more than happy to help you find some of our most amazing trails that are clear.
    Cheers,
    SSconny
    Thanks for the advice, tips, and link to Disciples of Dirt. The Summer Ride Fest sounds fun. I'm staying with a friend in Bend and have gotten some great advice from many. If you emailed Gregg Williams at Yubaexpeditions.com, I'm sure he could give you the up and up in Downieville. He is a wealth of local knowledge and certainly a great guy. Enjoy.