opinions on wi eno freewheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

opinions on wi eno freewheel

wanting to put an eighteen tooth cog on my surly 1x1. i have eno cranks and love them but to be honest they are the first decent cranks i have ever used. is it worth the money for the eno freewheel performance wise or is it simply bling factor? love to here from people with experience with them.

mtbr member
    Best freewheel I have ever used. Would buy again is a heart beat.
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

smell the saddle...
    I was just talking about the WI ENO freewheels through PMs with illnacord. By far the best freewheel on the market. The engagement is similar to Chris Kings and I would merit it in the same class as King's hubs on the freewheel circuit.

My only complaint is I found the one I bought brand new (I have 2 16Ts) took a long time to wear in. The one I bought used off eBay was already broken end and nice. Makes no difference riding anyway, your cranks will spin before they break in as all. I can hardly call that a reputable complaint anyhow - just personal nuisance.

mtbr member
    Absolutely worth the money. The alternatives would be Shimano or ACS Claws freewheels which I have found to be noisy and rough. I've never regretted spending the $80 for the ENO.

NedwannaB

8 years runing

Great product. Great CS. Happen to live in same town as W.I. Mine was spinning a little rough so I thought I'd have it checked out before finishing the rebuild.

Usually go thru my lbs, but since I was going to be in their buisness park area anyway, thought I'd swing by on a whim un-announced and have them check it out. Brought my wheel in, said "yep feels like bearings, no problem. Let me go see if the guys have time to replace them now for you. Would that be alright? Oh, but It will be $16 for the bearings is that ok?" Uhhh.......sure??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails opinions on wi eno freewheel-voodooz-004.jpg  

Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2004

White Industries ENO freewheels are da bomb!

I mean, seriously. Even at full price from the LBS or online shop, still worth the coin. I have (4) White ENO freewheels and (3) White ENO eccentric rear hubs. Quality stuff. Had a "sticky" 20T freewheel a few years ago; called and spoke w/ Doug White (the man himself!) - and he replaced it, no questions asked. Last year at NAHBS, I met Doug again and he offered to rebuild the freewheel on my 'cross bike - free of charge, as a "demo" for the general public @ the show. Honestly, I've ridden Shimano and ACS - w/ only marginal success. The comparison between Shimano and/or ACS - to White Industries = night and day. Seriously.
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    I love mine. I have the regular red one, you can get the 18 tooth in a trials version with way better engagement. I went with a hope SS hub on my next wheel and I miss my eno just because it sounds so sweet. The hope has better engagement than mine (not better than that green one though, which to be honest, I haven't ever ridden or even seen). The hope is just noisy like a chainsaw, while the sound of the eno is audible, but muted and smoother. Like the difference in sound between a cheap shitty socket wrench and a really good one.

As far as durability, I've probably just broken in both wheels, with no issues. Maybe 1000 miles on each.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ^^^^^ get the trials version....i did.....simply an awesome freewheel
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just bought one for my 1x1 with 650's, Not on yet, but it looks, feels, and sounds awesome!

mtbr member
    I use nothing else these days. Got them on 4 bikes
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

CB2
    Jam Econo
    If it is ever wet where you ride it's worth every penny.

holding back the darkness
    Their freewheels are a superior product.
    Engagement is great. I had a 20t and an 18t trials. The trials version doubles the pawls and halves the engagement. I did a driver transplant and put the guts of the 18 into the 20t cog, and now have a 20t freewheel with (someone pipe up here if I'm wrong) 3 degrees of engagement. Super trick.
    During this transplant, in taking apart the 20t (which I haven't serviced in 3 years, shame on me) it looked almost new inside. No noticeable wear, the bearings still smooth as butter.
    And should your results vary and you decide that it's time for new bearings or you NEED some kind of service or you're the sort that can't help but open things up and tinker around with them... the bearings are behind a simple, pen-knife removable snap-ring and the bearings press out with your bare hands.
    They are the Snap-On of freewheels.
    They are an exercise in simplicity and quality.
    You can buy many Shimano or ACS freewheels for the price of one WI, but why would you? Buy the one that lasts.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    ^^^^^ get the trials version....i did.....simply an awesome freewheel
    What kind of chain is that?

NedwannaB

Looks like a MONSTER BMX chain!

Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Mehbe a KMC? Chum is a maSShing stud I'll have you know!!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have been riding a Surly w/ACS for about 4+ years with DT TK7's. I want a wider rim so I'm thinking of building a new wheel set (and make my current setup a backup). I have narrowed the rim choice but I'm not certain about the hubs. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of a freewheel hub vs a cassette type hub. This thread caught my eye b/c I'm currently drawn to the WI hubs.

mtbr member
    ENO is the standard for quality - I got one going on seven years - not a problem. Riding them in ice and snow, wet and hot, all over - not an issue.

mtbr member
    Well I guess with a cassette type(Freehub), you can use the wheel on a geared bike, its easier to change gears, and you can easily adjust chainline, but the wheel will have a lot of dish.

The freewheel obviously is SS only and will build up a stronger dishless wheel. I have no experience with the WI hubs, but I really like their freewheels. I also have their cranks and they are top notch as well.

Based on the fact that you have been riding a freewheel equipped SS for 4 years, I would say stick with it and go for the WI hubs/freewheel. The only reason to use a cassette hub is if you think you're gonna want to use these wheels geared. If you want to be able to change gears quickly (and cheaply) you could go with one of the SS hubs that use a shorter style freehub and cassette type lockring (hope, CK, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay
    If you want to be able to change gears quickly (and cheaply) you could go with one of the SS hubs that use a shorter style freehub and cassette type lockring (hope, CK, etc.)
    Right... so to be clear... you CAN have a near-dishless rear wheel using a singlespeed specific cassette hub and a cog. Some argue that this allows you to change the cog more easily than you can with a freewheel.
    But really... how often do you actually change your freewheel?
    I'd keep rolling with what I know. And get the WI. It's the best. There is no other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks...I have always rolled with a 20t so in 4 years I have not changed it...so "easy change" is not an issue although I am going to experiment with a 22t for a few events I hope to do but it would be for those events only.

Any rim recommendations? 26mm or wider?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    an original SRAM PC-7X...they were discontinued for a few years...

SRAM 'reintroduced' the PC-7X....but it's is all nickel colored.....boo...

still my favorite chain though.....

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have the DOS Freewheel on 2 bikes. I like that it gives me the option of changing the gearing if need be depending on the trail. I have the 16-18 on my SS 26er and 17-19 on my Cross bike.
    WI rock!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you're going 18t, get the trials version. 72 points of engagement and an angry bee sounds similar to a King hub when freewheeling.

I have the 18t trials freewheel on my ss Karate Monkey. I rode this bike to the win with a teammate at the 12 hour race at Warda TX a few weeks ago. It was a 12 hour mud-fest, with calf-high mud in a lot of the course. Sloppy, nasty mess all day. By the end, my brakes were out of whack, my bb was grinding, etc. but the freewheel came out the same way it started that day. Hosed it off and it's perfect again.

The standard ENO freewheels will have the same reliability and durability, just less points of engagement (48 I think? Still, that's plenty!)

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07
    If you're going 18t, get the trials version. 72 points of engagement and an angry bee sounds similar to a King hub when freewheeling.

I have the 18t trials freewheel on my ss Karate Monkey. I rode this bike to the win with a teammate at the 12 hour race at Warda TX a few weeks ago. It was a 12 hour mud-fest, with calf-high mud in a lot of the course. Sloppy, nasty mess all day. By the end, my brakes were out of whack, my bb was grinding, etc. but the freewheel came out the same way it started that day. Hosed it off and it's perfect again.

The standard ENO freewheels will have the same reliability and durability, just less points of engagement (48 I think? Still, that's plenty!)
    So is this the main difference between standard ENO = 48 points vs. Trials version = 72 points? I guess I never considered the trilas version for off-road and I have (2) standards. No complaints really, just curious incase I am in the market in the future.

So is this the main difference between standard ENO = 48 points vs. Trials version = 72 points? I guess I never considered the trilas version for off-road and I have (2) standards. No complaints really, just curious incase I am in the market in the future.

Well... yes. I'm sure Ernesto could comment further but the difference is in pawls. The standard version has three and the trials version has six. As far as I understand other components are identical, and as I mentioned earlier, interchangeable.

Members who have read this thread: 1