Opinions Wanted on New Singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    Jabberwocky Jockey

Opinions Wanted on New Singlespeed

My window to build a new singlespeed was moved way up due to the theft of my converted Litespeed Thursday. Luckily, I have insurance and almost enough parts to build another my main question that I have to answer is on the frame.
    Here's my short list and some thoughts on each:

Surly, pros: sturdy, good reputation, cheap, cool company, readily available (lbs can have one in a week)
    cons: horizontal drops (Must have my discs),

On-One, pros: sturdy, good reputation, somewhat cheap (depends on the buck I guess) cool company, better geometry than the surly, disc friendly.
    cons: I have to wait until they are available, order from the UK (not that I have a problem with th UK, I have a problem with waiting)

Haro, pros: Disc friendly EBB, can get at my lbs for cheap
    cons: no history on the s/s frame, don't know much about them.

Salsa, pros: Trick, light, EBB, cans get at my lbs,
    cons: more money than I wanted to spend.

I am looking for opinions on my "list" from those who are familiar with these frames. What do you think about them, How much of a pain is it to have horizontal drops and discs?

Thanks
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I'd,,,,

E-Mail Brant at On-one directly...... he might be able to get one to you quickly... worth a shot...

"Mr. Britannica"

get the one that fits best

if you have to spend a bit more so be it

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Salsa

[QUOTE=Salsa, pros: Trick, light, EBB, cans get at my lbs,
    cons: more money than I wanted to spend.[/QUOTE]

Out of the list you gave that would be my choice.
    Have you ever regretted spending too much money on bike stuff?
    I know I haven't.
    I've been inside too long.

34N 118W

Salsa

the Scandium Salsa frame is of the light/stiff/race variety. If that's what you're after then go for it. You might find a more comfortable ride in the other steel frames though, if that's your preference. (Haro = steel?) And ebb + disc is sweet. My .02

otherwise, nice choices.

HW

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    My window to build a new singlespeed was moved way up due to the theft of my converted Litespeed Thursday. Luckily, I have insurance and almost enough parts to build another my main question that I have to answer is on the frame.

Surly, pros: sturdy, good reputation, cheap, cool company, readily available (lbs can have one in a week)

On-One, pros: sturdy, good reputation, somewhat cheap (depends on the buck I guess) cool company, better geometry than the surly, disc friendly.
    cons: I have to wait until they are available, order from the UK (not that I have a problem with th UK, I have a problem with waiting)

I am looking for opinions on my "list" from those who are familiar with these frames. What do you think about them, How much of a pain is it to have horizontal drops and discs?

Thanks

get down!
    I"d say Haro, Surly, On One, Salsa

in that order pick the first one that fits you best
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

KgB
    SNGLSPD

I'll take back my Salsa vote

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    the Scandium Salsa frame is of the light/stiff/race variety. If that's what you're after then go for it. You might find a more comfortable ride in the other steel
    HW
    Agreed,I would never buy anything but steel or ti
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would complicate matters

by adding Kona Explosif/Unit to your choices.

A good way to run discs and there has been good feedback on the frame.

Its too warm here....

Haro...

I've got a size Large Haro Werks SS frame with the E.B.B. that I would be willing to sell. I can get you a picture and more info if you like, just PM me.

-Pedro
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick." T.R. Roosevelt

a legend in his own mind

Ventana

Long history with ss. Very cool company. Msrp $900 but deals can be had. Also Soma has a frame coming out in March/April. The 4one5, Msrp $360
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

KRN
    mtbr member

Try this

I have a 04 redline I know its not one of those bikes your asking about BUT if you want a good cheap bike you cant go wrong with this its made in the U.S & you can get it as a frame or complete bike your choice the bikes are very very beautiful & look very custom the complete bike in stell weighs about 28 but I have a friend who bulit a fame up & his weighs 23 so not too bad might want to have a look!

Expert Pushing SSer

SoulCraft <$$ Than Salsa

I'd step up and grab a SoulCraft (about a grand). Salsa is a bit more (MSRP). Not to stir your pot, but SoulCraft's Plowboy uses horiz Paul drops and appear to be disc friendly. I have an On-One Inbred with v-brakes, and it is quite a telepathic ride. Soma is another great choice with the Reynolds 600 series steel. So let's see, if you were to pick at the 400 dollar mark: I would go Soma (March or April might push your buttons, I know what it is like to wait, it is harsh), On-One, then Surly.

Or with your choices, personaly I would go: On-One, Surly, Salsa, then Haro.

FWIW.

Cheers,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

KRN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    I'd step up and grab a SoulCraft (about a grand). Salsa is a bit more (MSRP). Not to stir your pot, but SoulCraft's Plowboy uses horiz Paul drops and appear to be disc friendly. I have an On-One Inbred with v-brakes, and it is quite a telepathic ride. Soma is another great choice with the Reynolds 600 series steel. So let's see, if you were to pick at the 400 dollar mark: I would go Soma (March or April might push your buttons, I know what it is like to wait, it is harsh), On-One, then Surly.

Or with your choices, personaly I would go: On-One, Surly, Salsa, then Haro.

FWIW.

Cheers,

Mike
    The whole idea of spending $1000 on a frame??? can I have your mommy & daddy??? thats ALOT of money! just think of all the kewl parts you could go with your choice later!

Norwegian Beacon
    Feb 2004

Spend the dosh on the frame rather than parts.

Quote Originally Posted by KRN
    The whole idea of spending $1000 on a frame??? can I have your mommy & daddy??? thats ALOT of money! just think of all the kewl parts you could go with your choice later!

I would spend most money on the frame and less on parts any day. After all isn't that what SS'ing is all about.

Řyvind Aas
    Kelly bike fan

KRN
    mtbr member

A $ 1000????

Maybe its jsut me butt hats alot of $$$$ for just a frame for a SS. The people I ride with work there asses offf for a $600.00 HT The next bike I plan to buy is a FS & thats $600.00 for that frame THAT I can see... sorry maybe I'm the only one here who doesen't have a trust fund!

Jabberwocky Jockey
    The choice is so bewildering. I have mulled this over many pints of Guinness and
    have narrowed my choices to Surly and Haro. Some of my thoughts to this point:

Although I am not afraid to spend money on bikes, I do have somewhat of a budget
    for this bike, since I have to replace the entire bike from the ground up. I must have hydraulic discs, can't live without them. I would like to get a ENO freewheel (I am tired of contending with cheapies) and I would like to try some monkey lite bars. Therefore, I have $400-500 to spend on a frame and still leave money for the other stuff.

Many of the frames mentioned here were on my long list but were eliminated for various reasons: Kona - not able to get, no local dealer; Soma, Ventana, Soulcraft, Curtlo, Sycip, Jericho, Spot and Kelly were all ruled out either because of cost, or time to deliver. Dealer support is somewhat important to me. I have a good LBS and most of my friends work there, I'd like to support them.
    I keep mentioning time, I have been s/sing for two years now and my assimilation is almost complete, I can't do without my singlespeed. Plus, I was planning to race the Knobschorcher at Tsali in April on it.

I really like the Surly but I can't get past the horizontal drop/disc thing. Having never done that, I don't know if it would be as much of a pain in the butt as I imagine it to be.

It seems that the Haro fits my bill.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member

priorities

Maybe its jsut me butt hats alot of $$$$ for just a frame for a SS. The people I ride with work there asses offf for a $600.00 HT The next bike I plan to buy is a FS & thats $600.00 for that frame THAT I can see... sorry maybe I'm the only one here who doesen't have a trust fund!
    the most important part of the bike is the frame. I don't have a ton of cash lying around, but I sold my truck and got a beater, saved my @ss off and ponied up 1500 for a custom frame&fork.(road bike. sorry guys...) Having ridden the the bike, I would rather have all the money in the frame and run tiagra or something like that rather than distribute more of my cycling nut into the parts. What good is an uber trick mag. stem or carbon bars or cranks if they are bolted to an ill fitting, harsh riding bike with geometry you don't like. Parts is parts, frame is soul...

Out spokin'

Agree witcha

I really like the Surly but I can't get past the horizontal drop/disc thing. Having never done that, I don't know if it would be as much of a pain in the butt as I imagine it to be.

I'm with you on the vert drop/disc thing. I've never owned a non-vert drop disc bike but I can tell you that I never want to. Any disc system that's not as easy as vert drops is, well not as easy. Why go with anything less than the Class A deal? IMO, you made a good choice if the Haro has vert drops and frame fits you well.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Badger has a new bicycle
    For what it's worth the dollar is very weak against the pound so the On-One may not be as cheap and good a deal as it is here in the UK. They do have a very solid reputation though (I'm sure 90percent of new SS frames sold here are inbreds - but dont quote me).

If I were over your side of the atlantic then a Spot brand with the slotted disc mount would be a no brainer. I've ridden one over here that had a slightly longer top tube than normal and was very smitten. They are ace.

Infact it was that test ride that convinced me to go the custom steel route and now I have an 853 frame with similar dropouts and disc mount but it actually cost less than the slightly customised spot would have over here.

At the moment a DN6 (4130cro mo) ebb inbred would cost you about half as much as the spot in the UK.

Expert Pushing SSer

Time out....

Hey, he had Salsa listed. But with Salsa listed, I thought another option might be SoulCraft. Just an opinion. I know $1K is a lot of cash for a frame (I sunk $1K on a frame and $1.5K on parts (2 bikes were stolen and insurance sent me a nice check)). Yes, agree with others the frame is where it is at. Parts break, wear out, people want this years color, etc. For the record, I am off my mommy and daddy's payroll. I am the daddy.

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Jabberwocky Jockey

Thanks for all the input

I decided to go with the Haro. I will post build pics as soon as I get it going.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member

the sorry bastárd

My window to build a new singlespeed was moved way up due to the theft of my converted Litespeed Thursday.
    I hope bad karma follows this moron who stole your bike. I hope karma does him in a really bad way, like a pitbull ripping off his nuts, or meeting face to face with a bus carrying a load of broken glass bottles to a recyclery.

Or falling off a cliff to a vat of molten magma.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 07:15 PM.

KRN
    mtbr member

I hear.....

Funny thing you read MBA & some other mags & they tell you that unless you spend at least $1000 on a bike whatever else U ride sucks! They tend to push FS bikes over anything they say you SHOULD be riding a FS or you SHOULD be spending this I belive when it really comes down to it....... ride whatever gives you a hardone(or for you ladies) what makes you wet just ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just not something from wally world!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

good choice.

I decided to go with the Haro.
    that looks like a really nice frame; i'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely.

jrm
    mtbr member

If you order a On-one do so through their US distributor

Thanks
    Called Team X-planet. Im purchasing my On-one Il Pompino SS CX frame.

KRN
    mtbr member

I dont think you have to spend $1000

T o get a good frame to be honest there is not much difference expect the type of metal you use more one frame is a little stiffer then another or has tabs for disc or not what the hell R U needing a TI frame for yeah there light & strong but geesh R U that bad of a rider???

mtbr member
    On-One. i love my Inbred. when this guy dies, all other bikes will be modeled after it.

True American Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    The choice is so bewildering. I have mulled this over many pints of Guinness and
    have narrowed my choices to Surly and Haro. Some of my thoughts to this point:

I've got the disc mounts on my 1x1 . A couple months ago I was griping about the setup of my Hayes discs on this thread: http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...9HT.5@.efe2d92

The brake alignment isn't as bad as I thought, although it took some trial and error. Now the brakes don't noticably rub, even after tightening the chain. There are six variable bolts that need to be tightened in the right order, appearently. Once I got the four caliper mounting bolts set up correctly, the hub bolt for/aft adjustment can be "eyeballed" for proper chain tension, with no disc rub.

The EBBs do look nice, but I wouldn't let that alone turn you away from the 1x1 frame.
    later
    "Cars - R - Coffins"

KRN
    mtbr member

Confused...

umm I thoguht the one of the ideas for SS bikes was cheap & fun ?? you guys are getting really costly at least for my ass

jrm
    mtbr member

The On_one US distributer is teamplanetx

Thanks
    there web site is www.teamplanetx.com. Peter is the guy running the show. Cool guy. Anyway he stocks alot of the SS's. in calif. Drop him a line.

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004

on-one

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    there web site is www.teamplanetx.com. Peter is the guy running the show. Cool guy. Anyway he stocks alot of the SS's. in calif. Drop him a line.
    i didn't see anything about the inbred on that site. did i miss something or is it something they keep in their store and you have to call about?

gentle like

email or call teamplanetx.com from on-one in the u.s.

they seem like good guys; i've asked a couple questions and they've emailed me back pronto. they do carry on-one stuff, but you need to ask about it.

just as a heads up, apparently planet x itself is coming out with a 29"er ss soon - i think the frame was supposed to be available sometime in march (check the planet x product news from earlier this year). i can tell you that i really like my new jack flash as a playbike: planet x does nice work.