Opinions on the Truvativ Stylo crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Opinions on the Truvativ Stylo crank

Read some mixed reviews on this crank and wanted to get more feedback. I am looking for a budget crank for my 1x9 full suspension XC ride. Thoughts on the 1.1 SS?

Pwning Trails
    I was in the same boat, my research turned out that a bunch of people have them with no problems. I have them myself, haven't ridden them too much but are working fine!

master blaster
    i have them ss on 3 bikes with no issues. simple to install and never had any problems. highly recomend them for the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good crankset for the $$. I ran the original for a few years no problems and presently run the newer OCT Stylo SS now. Well worth the extra cash for the lower weight. The carbon one is not worth the cash as the weight savings are minimal. Make sure you can run the chain ring you want. Not sure if the stocked unramped ring is the best for 1x9ing.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Why would you want a ramped chainring for a 1 by 9?

Off the back...
    I have one on my diSSent, and I'm happy with it. Very inexpensive, and I've not had any issues.

Expert Crasher
    Another positive experience w/ the Stylos. Had them on three different frames now without an issue.

RetroS - the SS, unramped ring is desired for 1x9 - will hold the chain a little better.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I have the Stylo and Stylo OCT. I find them average and not as stiff as XT. The best crank I have ever used is Noir 1.1; stiff and a marvel to pedal. Much better than XTR.

The Truvative BB has an awful lot of a drag. Really!! I upgraded my BBs to Enduro Seals and now it is butter smooth.

If I were on budget I would go XT. Better BB and crank arms are stiffer.

mtbr member
    I've run Truvativ Stylo cranks for years without a problem at all.

mtbr member
    all of mine have been crap. when i bought my ss the teeth on the spindle sheared off, then they replace it and the spindle broke on the drive side. the one i have now just after the warranty ran out and the bb is falling abart so the crank is wobbeling back anf forth in the bb and up and down. personally i would buy a race face or a paul or a white ind. crank. they are the best not the truvativ. i will never buy one again.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/178...set--Black.htm
    Ride & Smile

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    ran one for years. BB was kinda crappy but it worked.

mtbr member
    Which ones? I have the 2009 model. The Stylo 3.3 i think, but anyhow the crank is very light. Im 265lb and havent had any issue's. I have a set Truvativ Howitzer and BB on my 1x9 that is a reel crankset.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    I have the Stylo and Stylo OCT. I find them average and not as stiff as XT. The best crank I have ever used is Noir 1.1; stiff and a marvel to pedal. Much better than XTR.

The Truvative BB has an awful lot of a drag. Really!! I upgraded my BBs to Enduro Seals and now it is butter smooth.

If I were on budget I would go XT. Better BB and crank arms are stiffer.
    I would agree with the BB drag...I've never upgraded mine but if anything ever happens I'll do the Enduro Seals as well.

I have the Stylo OCT SS on my TA and I use to have the Stylo triple as well...no issues with performance or not being stiff enough on the Nomad...I did swap them out to a more FR type OCT crank and then put the triple on my Superlight...and again no issues whatsoever.
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LTcc - 18 Lg - Sold
    (Building up 19 in XL)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i dont wanna be negative nancy, but i had them on my inbred. i had numerous problems with mine. i am convinced that mine were some sort of defect, after having friends using them with out problems and just hearing the people on this thread. the bottom bracket never seemed smooth to me and never performed up to other cranks i have used on my bikes. the left crank arm never ever stayed in place. on long accents i would have to stop and tighten the arm more than once. i bought the bike already assembled, so it wasnt my mechanical workmanship(even though im not really proud of it). i dont know, i just had a rough time with those cranks. but i seriously am the only person i heard of having trouble with them. good luck choosing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt11string
    i dont wanna be negative nancy, but i had them on my inbred. i had numerous problems with mine. i am convinced that mine were some sort of defect, after having friends using them with out problems and just hearing the people on this thread. the bottom bracket never seemed smooth to me and never performed up to other cranks i have used on my bikes. the left crank arm never ever stayed in place. on long accents i would have to stop and tighten the arm more than once. i bought the bike already assembled, so it wasnt my mechanical workmanship(even though im not really proud of it). i dont know, i just had a rough time with those cranks. but i seriously am the only person i heard of having trouble with them. good luck choosing.
    were they on a bianchi muss?
    Ride & Smile

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt11string
    I was sitting at the top of a local ride spot about two days ago and a rider comes pedaling up, gets off the bike and pulls out a big allen wrench. Puts maybe three turns on the left crank arm bolt. Mutters something about "POS cranks" and off he goes.

Stylos.

I seems like once you do have an issue with them, like the first install goes bad, then they are never the same again.

Good to hear that so many have had good results though. There are not too many 180mm SS cranks out there (in external BB anyway)
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Off the back...
    If I was going to put a new set of cranks on a bike, I might go with SLX or LX, but for $99 including a BB, the price was really tough to beat. Sell the big and granny rings and the cost comes down even lower.

openwound
    I'm running the ss cranks on one of my bikes and have no issues. I upgraded to the enduro ceramics in the bb which helped smooth them out a little.

I had issues with other Truvativ external bb cranks, as in having them fall off. I spoke with the SRAM/Truvativ guys at an event and they acknowledged that, yeah, if the splines where the non-drive crank arm mounts gets munged up, they'll never be right. So it's important to install them correctly, which means using a torque wrench so as to not over-tighten them. Mine were so bad that not even red loctite would help...

But I don't think it's a Truvativ only issue, I've seen other brands fail, too, including shimano.

Apr 2007
    I just bought a very slightly used set of SLX crankset (including BB and chainrings) for $100. On ebay, they are $130-140 shipped brand new, so still not bad at all. I think it's worth it for a stronger crank and IMO, better looking crank. I currently have a square taper on my fixed road bike and I'm not too enthralled with it. Will be switching out for a Shimano external unit soon.

Members who have read this thread: 1