Opinions on new 26er SS project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Opinions on new 26er SS project

Well Im having a bit of a problem deciding on what to do for my new 26er SS. Currently I have a 1991 DB Axis SS. Love this bike but I have all the parts to bring it to vintage status.I love this bike as a SS but something inside is telling me to put it back to original. I also have a Ritchey Super Comp set up as a SS. This too is going back to original.
    My question is. Should I convert my 98 Hei Hei ti? Bike has Bomber Z2 which will more than likely end up being replaced with a rigid. I was toying with the idea of making this my next SS. Standard dropout so Id have to run a Surly Singulator or build a wheel set with a WI Eno hub. Guessing I coudl get this down to the low 20's, or even beyond, with relative ease.
    Should I find a dedicated SS 26er frame with either horizontal dropou outs, sliders or an EBB. If so which would you guys recommend. Preferably steel or ti
    TIA
    Tom
    Last edited by trodaq; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Eno hub has been known to have issues with Ti frames, since it sometimes can't find enough purchase in the dropout to keep from rotating. Unless you can try it first, you may not want to risk it. If you go with a bolt on tensioner, I'd avoid a sprung one like the Surly and go with a rigid one like the Rennen or the DMR, since they're simpler and hold tension better. If you have some cash, something like the Phil Wood eccentric BB is a strong contender with a very clean look, and you keep the usability of your vertical dropouts. Finally, the Yess ETR-B is cheaper, easy to adjust, stays out of the way, and works well. There are enough very good tensioner choices available that I've never even considered buying a SS specific frame.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Nice collection of frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    Should I find a dedicated SS 26er frame with either horizontal dropou outs, sliders or an EBB.
    I prefer swingers (Black Cat style) or horizontal "Track Forkend Not a dropout!" (according to Mr. Brown).

Haven't used sliders, but they look funny to me. I've had bikes with EBBs that worked ok, but I always felt like they were more of a pain to maintain and adjust. I'm sure others feel differently (isn't great that we're not all the same?), but that's my two cents...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Get a slot On One Inbred and be DONE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    The Eno hub has been known to have issues with Ti frames, since it sometimes can't find enough purchase in the dropout to keep from rotating. Unless you can try it first, you may not want to risk it. If you go with a bolt on tensioner, I'd avoid a sprung one like the Surly and go with a rigid one like the Rennen or the DMR, since they're simpler and hold tension better. If you have some cash, something like the Phil Wood eccentric BB is a strong contender with a very clean look, and you keep the usability of your vertical dropouts. Finally, the Yess ETR-B is cheaper, easy to adjust, stays out of the way, and works well. There are enough very good tensioner choices available that I've never even considered buying a SS specific frame.

Thanks for the heads up on the Eno with ti issues. Hadn't seen that one. I already have a Singulator so if I go the tensioner route, I'll use it till it fails then try a rigid one. I just liked the idea of some give if I hit something with it. Im running it with upward tension.
    I read a large thread you were part of about the PW, and the concerns about having to loctite the NDS. Have you gotten anymore feedback, or used this one yourself?
    Im assuming you wouldn't buy a SS only frame because of the limitations ie; not being able to swithced to geared?
    Thanks Tom
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Members who have read this thread: 0