Opinions on my first custom SS build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Opinions on my first custom SS build?

Hopefully there should be 4 pictures above. I have had one helluva time trying to figure out how to post and add pictures.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the bike? I've been riding single speeds for awhile now, but this is my first custom mountain build.

Quick parts list:
    2009 Giant Yukon Frame (Powdercoated Copper Vein)
    Soul Cycles rigid fork (Pearl Brown/Copper)
    Wheels
    Velocity Blunt rims
    Redline sealed bearing hubs
    DT Swiss spokes
    180mm Ti-Ni coated Alligator rotors
    Kenda 2.3 Nevegal/Small Block 8 F/R
    BB5 brakes with FR5 levers and Jagwire cables/housing
    Truvativ bars and SS specific Crankset
    32t Salsa chainring
    18t Surly cog
    Sram pc-850 chain
    Origin8 headset

Just finished building earlier today. Please give your imput, I'd like to know what some avid single speeders think

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Funky colouring, that's for sure! Not liking the seatpost for some reason though. Bet you can't wait to ride it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's a big frame for such tiny wheels.

openwound
    Kinda looks like rootbeer brown. Definitely a funky mix, broseph. Just how big is a sasquatch -- from the looks of the bike, pretty dang big.

Are those external-cam quick-release skewers? If so, you might want to change, at least the rear, to the shimano, internal-cam type.

Go get that thing dirty.
    -- let's ride

Out spokin'
    Change the white stem to a matching green one and you're so there.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    nice looking bike... i agree change up the stem to a green to tie in the colors and maybe the seat post also... i just don't like big brand stickers on equipment unless they want me to advertise for them.... but then who would buy them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Change the white stem to a matching green one and you're so there.

--sParty
    I do agree that the color stands out a bit on the stem, but I really wanted something else to match the white hubs. I will say that it does look much better while riding because I can look down and see the stem and hub at a better angle. Plus I'm not a huge spender, I already had the stem so I figured why not use what I have already, ya know? Same thing goes with the seatpost, I just used what I had for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    Kinda looks like rootbeer brown. Definitely a funky mix, broseph. Just how big is a sasquatch -- from the looks of the bike, pretty dang big.

Are those external-cam quick-release skewers? If so, you might want to change, at least the rear, to the shimano, internal-cam type.

Go get that thing dirty.
    What is the main difference between the external and internal-cam QR skewers, besides where the cam is? Is it just difference between the holding strength? I have had my rear wheel shift in the dropouts 2 or 3 times in the past with other bikes, not so much as it to lock up or fall out but just so that the rotor rubs a lot on the pads.

And yes it is a pretty dang big bike haha I'm hoping to snap some pictures in better lighting soon because it's hard to tell the shades of the colors from the pictures that I posted.

openwound
    Yep, the difference seems to be in their holding strength. If you're experiencing slippage, give the Shimano XT's a shot.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    Yep, the difference seems to be in their holding strength. If you're experiencing slippage, give the Shimano XT's a shot.

I will definitely take a look at them. The only time I've ever had issues was when the rear end slammed to the ground sideways from a bunnyhop or 180 endo. I really want to have bolt on axles but I don't know of a way to get my hubs converted since they have cartridge bearings. And I love those hubs and just had them built up so I'm not getting rid of them anytime soon.

local trails rider
    As long as you like it, who cares what we think

The fork looks long in the pics, or is it just the camera angles?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    As long as you like it, who cares what we think

The fork looks long in the pics, or is it just the camera angles?

The fork is suspension corrected to be similar to a 100mm suspension fork (I'll have to double check the actual A-C length). The frame has an awkward feel with anything other than a 100mm suspension fork or a suspension corrected rigid fork. It took a lot of searching through the web but luckily I discovered Soul Cycles. That fork was 9 bucks! (retail $65). They were having a huge clearance sale and I grabbed one of the last ones available. And I'm very glad I did. I absolutely love riding rigid now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    That's a big frame for such tiny wheels.

22" frame 26" wheels..does look goofy, but I got the frame for free and it fits me very well size-wise so I'm not complaining

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Bike kicks ass. I'm not sold on the white stem, but i don't ride it. So who cares what i think. Ride, smile and pedal damn it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It looks stout! What are you riding primarily? With that gearing, you should be able to hit some aggressive terrain? What about the bar ends? Do you really use them? As for rigid, I'm looking forward to going back to that as well...like the days of my Trek 8000 back in the early 90's. My ss project is moving somewhat forward. Frame will under go light torch therapy next week. www.onecogblog.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A.
    It looks stout! What are you riding primarily? With that gearing, you should be able to hit some aggressive terrain? What about the bar ends? Do you really use them? As for rigid, I'm looking forward to going back to that as well...like the days of my Trek 8000 back in the early 90's. My ss project is moving somewhat forward. Frame will under go light torch therapy next week. www.onecogblog.blogspot.com
    This is my primary mountain bike. And I do use the bar ends quite a bit, they are perfect for climbs (for leverage, like drop bars on road bikes sort of) or just as an alternative spot to place my hands if they or my wrists get tired. I try to take it on aggressive terrain. I'm in Ohio so it's pretty hilly here, and the trails I have on my property are very hilly. Basically I try to tackle everything I can, but if I just can't make it I get off, push, and hit it better the next time. Also gearing is 32-18.

Members who have read this thread: 0