Opinions on building SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Opinions on building SS

I am looking to build a SS. I am thinking of a 29" vs 26". I currently ride FSR but would love to add to my collection a SS but I do not know much about what to look for. I'm 5'6", female,

Thanks much for any suggestions

Monocog Masher
    Defintely a 29er. Night and day difference between a 26er and 29er considering you are singlespeeding it and running rigid or hardtail. 5'6" is plenty tall for 29er geometry. Things you should consider are

1. Are you gonna dedicate this bike to SS only or do you want to have the option of converting it back to geared bike sometime in the future? If so, then you need to get a bike that can serve both purposes.

2. Several types of systems available to run a SS setup, e.g. EBB, sliding dropouts, chaing tensioners, etc. Some are easier to work with when the time comes to repair a rear flat tire or remove the rear wheel for any reason.

If you're still not sureif you want to go 29er, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jElwljxGGs

CB2
    Jam Econo
    5'6" should be fine on a 29'er (I'm 5'7" w/ a 30" inseam), and if you're looking for a dedicated SS, it'll be a lot easier to find than a 26".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, I was kinda leaning towards the 29'er. This will be a dedicated SS as I already have my geared bike. So I'm looking at what suggestions on how to build or should I just buy a stock one?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    29er for sure... budget and type of riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't want to start out with too much as I want to make sure I'd enjoy it then upgrade from there. Varies on riding depends on trails as I ride many with climbs, downhill, rocky, lots of rocks, smooth, from technical to non technical etc

mtbr member
    I prefer 26er's (Surly 1x1,my ride), but I suggest that you throw a leg over whatever your considering building/buying. Most of the time you will change stuff on pre-built bikes to suit you best but it will be cheaper than building one piece by piece.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just went from a hardtail 26 with a suspension fork to a rigid 29er. Now granted I just finished building it and only rode it once. today, in the ice cold rain for 30 minutes on a local trail/fire road in my neighborhood. But I am really happy about it. Much better ride even rigid. I went on the cheap and got the IRO model 19 on the blow out deal. Put a carbon fork on the front. the frame is really well made. Check out the website. Botom line. go 29er.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    26 IMO is gonna give you more agility..so if you ride very tight trails I'd go 26, but if you run a little more technical 29er might rub you the right way. Try'em both if you can.
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

Bike's hmmm nice
    Been riding mtb for 18 years. First; lastyears, steel, 26" fully rigid, then came the forks. In 2002 full sus, loved that. FRS followed, added AM/FR to that. And then, last year I rolled over to the dark side..... second hand, steel, 29", fully rigid, SS (Haro Mary SS). Picked it up just to have a look at the latest hip styly averybody was raving about. Still have and ride my other bikes but I really love this puppy. Been riding it all winter. Have seen the whole spectrum of bikes and this one gives me simple fun and pleasure with the 29" wheel adding a flow and swoop to the ride. I'd say: go 29" and keep the FSR as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you decide 29er I hope your FSR is not a 26er and you are not too attached to it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    why not turn your FSR into a SS (provided you have decent suspension)....all ya really need is a YESS tensioner and front chain guide

worked freakin hella awesome on my RX.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Felt has a solo 29er that is pretty nice and not too bad price wise. I think you first need to decide a budget, then you can decide frame material, then geo.

I went from a geared 26 to a rigid 29er ss and love it. I use it more for my xc and everyday riding bike than my squish. YOu would be amazed at the climbs you can clean on a SS.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

holding back the darkness
    Frame first.
    Depending on how savvy you are and how diligent you can be about searching out what you need you can probably build what you want for about 65% of retail (considering near-retail price for frame).
    On-one and Vassago make great frames for relatively low cost.

Apr 2007
    I'm currently building up a Monocog Flight, but years ago, my first venture into the SS world was a Redline Monocog 29er. Bought it locally for $300. Rode it for a couple of years and loved it. Now, I'm building one up to my liking and better specs. Selling the old Monocog. I think buying a whole bike and trying out the SS thing is a smarter idea. Check out your local craigslist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Chum. I love my FSR and wouldn't think of changing it into a SS. I would rather have one of each.

Bike's hmmm nice
    that's the way to go! different rides for different feel. I would also look at testing or getting cheap(er) second hand bike. It does take getting used to. I loved 29, rigid ss but some of my buddy hated it. Selling before a more flashy upgrade is easy.

Members who have read this thread: 0