Opinions: Bar Ends or Wider Bar?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Opinions: Bar Ends or Wider Bar?

I just built up my Fisher Xcal ss (actually magic gear with 33x20, no half link). Anyway, I had the stock bars laying around, so I put them on it. They are 620mm wide. On my Niner I have a Niner bar and Im running at ~675mm wide. Needless to say, it felt very strange riding the narrow bars on my ss. I found myself desiring the width on climbs more than noticing quicker steering on the descents.

I was thinking of either a) getting another Niner bar, or b) getting nice bar ends (Cane Creek..). I have ridden bar ends on really narrow bars and I liked it, especially for gravel. Before I buy, I just thought I would ask for some opinions. Both options would be about the same ($50), unless I went with something cheaper...

Out spokin'
    I've done both... eventually came back to bar ends (although I prefer a ~660mm wide bar even with the bar ends).

I like the extra hand positions, especially when I'm climbing for hours or up walls. We have a few of those around here.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

The need for singlespeed
    I recently put 56cm flat bars on my road bike (switched from bullhorns). It feels great in the saddle, but once I get up it feels cramped since the frame is a tad small for me. Bar ends stretched things out nicely.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    bar ends are actually pretty nice when i ride my riser bar, but i figured id try some alt bars. the marys a lil much (for me), so i got a carnegie comin from chainreaction.

sorry. i babble.

id go bar ends. itll preserve the racy feel of the 26er wheels.

(or was there a 29er x-cal? if so, i apologize for my stupidity. still vote bar ends tho.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat

(or was there a 29er x-cal? if so, i apologize for my stupidity. still vote bar ends tho.)

I guess I should have clarified- it is a 29er hardtail (soon to be full rigid). Sorry, I forget some people are still riding small wheels and I assume that everyone is on a 29er.

I'm thinking bar ends might be the better option, too. Gosh! I am going to be so cool!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I stole some old bar ends off this old (maybe early 90s or so?) Stumpy that we have laying around. I use them all the time, it's a more natural hand position for me. I'd been thinking about taking them off, but then I realized that that was only my inner weight weenie talking, so I told him to shut up and go ride a plastic bike somewhere.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I like bar ends. I have 660mm bars on my bike and I have considered putting bar ends on that bike (26") but the bar ends make the bar feel too narrow. I know that sounds dumb, but my fireroads bike has the same width bar with ends and I dislike having my hands that much nearer together. I'd get a wider bar, but then I will certainly start snagging more trees. My last complaint is that they look dorky, and I can't do that to my MCF.

mtbr member
    IMO a wider bar is no comparison to bar ends. Same goes for a riser bar. Bar ends allow you to pull on the bars with more power/less fatigue using your lat muscles where as the over hand grip used on a standard swept handlebar requires more from the biceps.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat
    ...so i got a carnegie comin from chainreaction.
    You'll love them. My favourite bars ever. So much control downhill and awesome for climbing. No sore hands or wrists at all. Did you get the carbon/kevlar Carnegie's?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Dive Bomber
    I prefer wide bar, barends has many function like leverage and stuffs but in the end I never use it even on uphill.

Ahhh the pain....
    777mm wide bars + bar ends...absolutely LOVE this for everything except tight trees (which we don't have a lot of here in AZ). The leverage is fantastic.
    BTW...the bar ends are cheap profile ones, cut down to 3" (tip to center of handlebar); perfect size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For me, wide bars are a necessity of life, bar ends are not.

Low Rep Count
    I have been back and forth lately. I am riding 610 bars at the moment w/out barends. But I can definitely say that I enjoy having them on there. The different hand positions as well as the leverage they provide.

Unfortunately, I just picked up some cheap Ergons to see if I like them as my hands have been feeling crampy lately during my rides. If I decide I like them, I will then have to get a nicer set with the barends on them. I just can't justify spenging $100+ for the carbon versions to shed a little of the weight! May just go back to the ESI's and Cane Creeks.

Occasionally engagedů
    I think my bars are 635 mm wide, with barely any sweep, and I use bar ends. I had the use of a swept bar for awhile, but even though I had my wrists and arms in the right position for using the "lats" as described above, my weight was far too far back when climbing -- hence the straight bar with bar ends. I can run a shorter stem and have a nice descending position with hands in the standard "moto" position, but when I'm either jamming on the flats, pounding away in the saddle on slight uphills, or out of the saddle wrenching for power, I've got the perfect power position with my hands on the bar ends out in front of the bar.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    both.

Dead Legs
    We have tight trees, so bar ends are the only way...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Picked up a pair of the new Ergon carbon grips/bar ends at the Sea Otter. Added them to my Edge riser bar and they work terrific. I can stretch out while ridng on the flats and can really use them while climbing steep stuff. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    I vote for both too. I have the Cane Creek bar ends and they work great. I like them better than the Ergons because the bar end extends about an inch behind the handle bar as well as in front. So you can really pull but still be somewhat centered on the end of the bar.

mtbr member
    The Sette Ergo Carbon bar ends from Pricepoint are really nice! Just throwing that ou there.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I like my bar ends on my 660mm flat bar. Love the leverage for climbing, and having my hands at a slightly narrower position when holding the grips seems to take pressure off them when decending.

mtbr member
    On my singlespeed, I use a 685mm Easton EA70 flat bar with CaneCreek ergo bar ends. I've been back and forth between that and a wide riser bar, but I always come back to the flat bar and bar ends. Way more leverage for me when SS'ing and the extra hand positions it offers are comfy.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Why is this thread still active?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    stevob: just the alloy for now. im still a lil leary of carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Oh, never mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08
    I forget some people are still riding small wheels and I assume that everyone is on a 29er.
    Speaking of debates that were old when they were fresh, why would everyone ride 29ers? In my own case, I suspect that my next bike will actually be a 24" single speed. Single speed is not synonymous with cross country riding

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Originally Posted by Jnthomps08:
    I forget some people are still riding small wheels and I assume that everyone is on a 29er.

im all 29er at this point. im just not up on fisher (trek) models/ wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek bar ends are awesome for stand-up-and-hammer climbing. Don't miss them much on my 1X9 though. I also use them on flat sections to rest the hands. Good stuff.

I also like wider bars, so I vote for both.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

Dive Bomber
    My arms hurt because I force to climb a steep 30-40 degree road, I don't think getting a 777mm handlebar would help.

So I think I'll use a barends(cheap one just for curiousity) and hope it works but if it's not I still can walk and push the bike which cheaper and less energy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I use Cane barends with a wide riser bar. Awesome for those all day long rides. Tons of leverage for climbing and the risers are comfy for those long days in the saddle. We have tight trees as well but you get used to it by throwing in some body english to get around them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I use Ergon Biokork with bar ends , am I just too much of a rookie to know any better?

Dive Bomber
    Finally I've tested barends for stand and hammer.

I use 660mm without barends this is my daily set up, and this morning I try with 620mm with barends.

The good thing with barends my arm doesn't hurt, the position prevent me to bar pull - so insted of pulling the bar I put my body forward the stem.

But my legs are hurts, because of my body position change my usual pedalling form, and it's a bit difficult for me to control my riding position. There's assumption that my legs spin faster because of my riding position.

I think I'll stay with my old set up, and maybe I'll use shorter/smaller barends so I can change my hand position when climb. I use to hurt my biceps and lower arms when my hand holding grip on steep climb.

Members who have read this thread: 0