Opinion: easton monkey xc or dh for my new SS?- Mtbr.com
    zeebot

New question here. Opinion: easton monkey xc or dh for my new SS?

Debating which...I have until friday to decide. the extra 2" going to help much? flex more for a bit smoother ride? or is just added weight and more expensive?

i'll be on a rigid surly 1x1..

Steamroller

Go Wide!

The extra 2" is definately good for SS unless you live in a very densely forested area. I think the DH bar is also of a thicker material so it may actually flex less. I'm 245# and my LBS would not sell me the XC they said I may be OK on the DH bar. I have not switched from my wide alloy bars yet, I may go Ti. I do love carbon bars on my road bike. (which I'll not speak of more here)
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    The extra 2" is definately good for SS unless you live in a very densely forested area. I think the DH bar is also of a thicker material so it may actually flex less. I'm 245# and my LBS would not sell me the XC they said I may be OK on the DH bar. I have not switched from my wide alloy bars yet, I may go Ti. I do love carbon bars on my road bike. (which I'll not speak of more here)
    i'm only 165'ish well i suppose a bit more with my camelback so i dont think weight is an issue. i sorta thought the dh may flex less as well since it IS for downhilling and has a lifetime warranty...it's gotta be strong! i do ride some forested areas and i can think of a few spots where i'd clip my hands off with the 28" because my current 25.5" answer xc carbon bars barely fit but if the extra 2" made a big difference on hill climbing and overall comfort i could deal with slowing down and wedging through...

Jed Peters
    DH, it's wider and gives you more leverage.

"Mr. Britannica"

limits

Wider is generally recommended, but there's sure to be a point where wider is no better or worse.... trial and error will determine.

I have a set of low rise Monkeys waiting for my next build, and these will be wider than anything I've tried. The beauty of the wider ones is you can always cut them down if too wide.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Debating which...I have until friday to decide. the extra 2" going to help much? flex more for a bit smoother ride? or is just added weight and more expensive?

I'm only 155, and I just went with a 27" Easton DH bar. I love the extra leverage. It only felt funny for a bit until I started climbing.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

The man who fell to earth

Go with DH version

If you are referring to the carbon versions of these bars, I would go with the DH all the way. I bought the monkeylight XC and shortly after installing it, it developed "stress lines" (whitish lines) along the clamping area. And yes I used a composite friendly stem/clamp (an Easton no less) and I carefully torqued the bar to the precise specs (with a calibrated torque wrench even). Easton sent me a warranty replacement no problem, but the same damned thing happened again. Now I just ride a composite bar with two whitish lines coming out of the stem area...not sure when its gonna snap! Plus if you happen to wipe out (and who doesn't once in awhile) you really have to contemplate if your bars took a good whack...if they did, you may be taking a bigger whack when you least expect it. Carbon can snap unexpectedly after being stressed in a crash (basically a pain time bomb)...and snapping while leaning back torquing up a big hill or on a screaming 30+ mph rocky descent ?? OWWW!

Go with the heavier duty DH, and wider is usually better for SS-ing (depending on your wingspan of course). When I get a chance I'm switching back to an AL riser, probably an FSA XC...light and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm using the XC and weigh 190 with no problems. Next time I will go with the DH just for a little more leverage. The XC's are great though and if you aren't all that tall they are wide enough.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    I'm using the XC and weigh 190 with no problems. Next time I will go with the DH just for a little more leverage. The XC's are great though and if you aren't all that tall they are wide enough.
    i'm 6' with a 34-35" size dress shirt.

www.justthebonnet.com
    I weigh 145 and use the Easton XC. The width is nice, but they are flexy when climbing uphill and really working the bars and upper body. I'd get the DH version next time for their length, and less
    flex.
    Believe me I'm 145 and when I pull on the bars they bend. At times I get a little nervous wondering when they might go "snap" and I end up punching myself in the face.
    Carbon is great on the flats and downhills, because of this complacent flex, and on a geary you don't need to crank as hard as on a SS.