opinion?: 29er/170mm cranks/32x17 ratio- Mtbr.com
    likes beer

opinion?: 29er/170mm cranks/32x17 ratio

This is the setup I have without going out and buying anything new. The bike has not been built yet.

Im new to the SS world and am curious if this is a decent ratio for paved trail rides with some moderate hills.

Me: beer-drinking white boy. Softy.

mtbr member
    If this is what you have, put it together and ride it. Everybody will be different from what they can push. My initial guess for paved use, it'll be a litle low. If you have the ability to cheaply throw a 34 or 36T up front, might be worth the look.

If you have a bike you're currently riding and can identify the gear ratio you like on it, just use the sheldon brown gear calculator to determine the SS gears you want to run. Just be careful that you don't go too small of rings, or you can get premature wear.

likes beer
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If this is what you have, put it together and ride it. Everybody will be different from what they can push. My initial guess for paved use, it'll be a litle low. If you have the ability to cheaply throw a 34 or 36T up front, might be worth the look.

If you have a bike you're currently riding and can identify the gear ratio you like on it, just use the sheldon brown gear calculator to determine the SS gears you want to run. Just be careful that you don't go too small of rings, or you can get premature wear.
    Cool. Thanks.
    Yeah the plan was to one-day run it as a 1x8, 9, 10, 11? Im too poor to start looking at a new rear wheel and derailer right now so I thought I'd try my hand at the SS thing to see how I like it.

Ive already got a SS rear wheel with a 17t freewheel, so Im going with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That is the same gear setup I ran last year on a GT Karakoram. I commuted on it here and there and did some beginner to intermediate trails with it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    i ride 32:18. strictly on trails though. anywhere other than in the woods it's too low of a gear.

if your riding paved trails, even with some mild hills, you are probably going to want more gear. nothing wrong with starting there though. give it a try before you go buying a bunch of parts you don't need.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you are riding large knobby mtb tires, it shouldn't be too low. I have been happily commuting with 2,35 big apples and 39x21, which is a little lower than 32x17. My cranks are also 170 mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have knobby 2,25 on my 32/18 setup. 29er as well. I'm weak, yes, yes I am, but I find it fine on asphalt/normal roads and sometimes too high a gear on the trails.

mtbr member
    Wheel size. completely forgot this essential bit. If you're looking at a 29er, I'll agree with everything above. If you're looking at 26", definately going to be geared low, and I'd look at a larger chainring. Also, do you have a new chain, or are you re-using an existing chain? New chain, the world is wide open. Old chain, might be limited on how big a ring you can use.

likes beer
    I'll have to install a new chain
    tires: Continental Race King 2.0 knobby...29er

I anticipate the SS setup to be temporary, but we'll see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Might be ok on the 29er. My SS is a 69er, running 32/16. Great for single track, kinda low for paved trail/road. At least, at first it was. The more I rode it though, the better I got at spinning and it's actually working out pretty good on my 15km commute. Ideally for the commute i'd probably run 36/14 or so to reduce the spin and get a bit more top end, but not big enough a problem to be switching it out as I ride about as much trail as I do pavement.

I'd suggest getting it set up as planned and start riding. Once you get used to the ride, you'll know then if you need to adjust, and in which direction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    FWIT, I run 32/18 on 170mm cranks. This is on my El Mariachi. I ride my SS mostly on technical XC trials with some out of saddle rocky climbs. I say try it out and adjust from there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    32/16 is about as low as I can stand it on the street. Think about going with a bigger ring up front, you'll soon find yourself buying smaller and smaller cogs to get adequate speed. And you don't want to get too small out back because of chain skip.

I like a gear ratio of about 2.4 on the street. Not many hills around here so you might want to go lower. But, just to give you an idea, if I wanted to run 16t in the back, I would need a 38 ring up front.

I've found incidentally that it's hard to run street and off-road gearing with the same chain and chainring without running out of adjustment room for chain tension. I'm planning to run two chainrings up front, so it'll be 32:18ish one way and 37:15ish the other way. That way I can hot-swap wheels without too much thrashing around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I rode 2,25 on the street with 26". That was too high for me. Around 2-ish would have been better.

I somehow like the slower pace of the 1,8-ish I have now with 29er. But then again.. I'm weak

likes beer

17/32 is a little low but my fatass enjoys it on the hills around here

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    With those smallish tires and with a 32/17 on a 29er. It wouldn't work on my loose and steep local trails. Typical gearing here on a 29er is 32/20 or bigger, and those tires would be a pain on the loose stuff. I'd ask your local regular SS riders what they use.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn