On One vs Surley 1X1 Question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25

    On One vs Surley 1X1 Question

    Looking at the smallest SS frames I can find for the gf. Anyone know if there is an actual difference in standover between the smallest (14") from these two makers? Any other reeeallly small SS frames out there?

  2. #2
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    Not sure about standover, but if I'm not mistaken, On Ones frames generally have longer top tubes. Something to consider if she is really small.

    Bianchi has a 13.5, measured center-to-top.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by davew
    Looking at the smallest SS frames I can find for the gf. Anyone know if there is an actual difference in standover between the smallest (14") from these two makers? Any other reeeallly small SS frames out there?
    Our 14in is measured to the top of the seattube. The very top. The top tube centreline is 75mm below this. So some people would call it an 11in frame!

  4. #4
    What Would Happen?
    Reputation: spuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    136
    As an aside, a 24" cruiser works for my girl. Depends on purpoise and size of course.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25
    Thanks guys, I looked at Surley's offering today, 15" to top of seat tube, 14 c-t. 24" wont do (had a Terry Moo in the past), she races exp and wants whatever she rides to go fast! Longish TT is something she is pretty used to from her Airborne HT gearie. Looks like the On-One will be her new best friend.

  6. #6
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by davew
    Thanks guys, I looked at Surley's offering today, 15" to top of seat tube, 14 c-t. 24" wont do (had a Terry Moo in the past), she races exp and wants whatever she rides to go fast! Longish TT is something she is pretty used to from her Airborne HT gearie. Looks like the On-One will be her new best friend.
    Cool, plus it won't be a Surly!

  7. #7
    carpe diem
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    277

    Interested in a geared version?

    I have a 14" On-One Inbred geared frame that I was planning to put in the classifieds shortly. Brand new in the box, gold color. Was going to build a SS with it using an Enocentric Disc hub, but decided I might go dedicated SS.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moto
    I have a 14" On-One Inbred geared frame that I was planning to put in the classifieds shortly. Brand new in the box, gold color. Was going to build a SS with it using an Enocentric Disc hub, but decided I might go dedicated SS.


    No thanks, looking to do a dedicated SS as well.

  9. #9
    What Would Happen?
    Reputation: spuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by davew
    Thanks guys, I looked at Surley's offering today, 15" to top of seat tube, 14 c-t. 24" wont do (had a Terry Moo in the past), she races exp and wants whatever she rides to go fast! Longish TT is something she is pretty used to from her Airborne HT gearie. Looks like the On-One will be her new best friend.
    Hey! You can race 24" fast..... just not for far. No worries mate, just thought id throw that idea up there.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by davew
    No thanks, looking to do a dedicated SS as well.
    Our new sliding dropout frames come in 14in, do have gear hangers and routing, but are perfectly singlespeedable.

    Our US distributor hasn't ordered any though. They're 247.50 preorder price, 275 full retail, and if you order another 100's worth of stuff, we'll ship to the USA for free!

  11. #11
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,282
    definitely the On-One. Both are great bikes and in fact, the Surly was my intro to single speeding as I picked one up off of ebay.

    Having said that, the thing that nowadays sets companies apart for me is customer service. I have no complaints about Surly's but when I was communicating with the On-One folks about various things, I was SO IMPRESSED with how they treated this Yankee. Top notch company, period.

  12. #12
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Wow, first I've heard of this non-29er Inbred with the sliding dropouts. In one fell swoop, Brant & Co. have now produced THE offf-the-shelf singlespeed frame to get, I think. Nice.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Wow, first I've heard of this non-29er Inbred with the sliding dropouts. In one fell swoop, Brant & Co. have now produced THE offf-the-shelf singlespeed frame to get, I think. Nice.
    Dave (the other half of on-one, with the looks and the money) has been kicking me that I've been making such a fuss of the 29er, that I've not made a big enough play of the other frame. on MTBR that's particularly the case.

    The new "Sliding Dropout 26in Inbred" (catchy name, huh?) has several features that have evolved over the last few years of messing around with designs whilst finalising the sliding dropouts - it's a lot more than just an old inbred frame with sliding dropouts tacked on.

    Butted headtube and lighter butted rear stays.
    4/5in fork corrected geometry.
    Bridgeless, gussetted chainstays with new "no rub" bend.
    Stronger, stiffer, better tracking front end, with 1/8in larger diameter top tube.

  14. #14
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Dave's probably right! Had I known that this was in the pipeline, I might've held off on the Surly for this. Maybe.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: logbiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Dave (the other half of on-one, with the looks and the money) has been kicking me that I've been making such a fuss of the 29er, that I've not made a big enough play of the other frame. on MTBR that's particularly the case.

    The new "Sliding Dropout 26in Inbred" (catchy name, huh?) has several features that have evolved over the last few years of messing around with designs whilst finalising the sliding dropouts - it's a lot more than just an old inbred frame with sliding dropouts tacked on.

    Butted headtube and lighter butted rear stays.
    4/5in fork corrected geometry.
    Bridgeless, gussetted chainstays with new "no rub" bend.
    Stronger, stiffer, better tracking front end, with 1/8in larger diameter top tube.
    Hey Brant-
    I didn't spot it on the website, whatdya reckon the standover height is on the 18" 29er?
    Specs staying the same for the 26" inbred?
    Plans to do the same sliding dropouts on the Pompino?
    I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new frame & the 29er thing is catching my attention... although some thoughts about a cross bike are making me confused *sigh*
    lovely lookin bikes!
    Serge


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    Hey Brant-
    I didn't spot it on the website, whatdya reckon the standover height is on the 18" 29er?
    Specs staying the same for the 26" inbred?
    Plans to do the same sliding dropouts on the Pompino?
    I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new frame & the 29er thing is catching my attention... although some thoughts about a cross bike are making me confused *sigh*
    lovely lookin bikes!
    Serge
    standover on the 18in 29er is 31in

    the 26in inbred gets a makeover with - well - it's all here - http://www.on-one.co.uk/page57.html

    No sliding pompino yet, though we're thinking.

    Cheers!

  17. #17
    Reformed car junkie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    194

    hijacking

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    standover on the 18in 29er is 31in

    the 26in inbred gets a makeover with - well - it's all here - http://www.on-one.co.uk/page57.html

    No sliding pompino yet, though we're thinking.

    Cheers!
    How does the sliding dropout inbred compare geometry and dimensions compare to the old imbred. Is it the same 71/73 angles and like ~23 inch top tube for the 16inch frame. I cant wait till I have some money, J&B orders some(thats very disapointing) to build one up. Thanks, you have made a truely great frame. Thanks again.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Head angle is now 70deg, seat still 73, fork corrected 4/5in, bb at 20mm drop at ride height.
    Top tube lengths are identical to the old frames.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.